Is it required to link credit card to MagicBand?

Hezzy04

DIS Veteran
I know that we have the option of linking a credit card to our MagicBands to make purchases. It it required to do this? Or can we opt out and just not set up a credit card?

You only have to link if you're staying on property I believe. I usually have my card linked anyway, but I found I use Apple pay more than it now.

I know you used to be able to opt out of adding a CC to your KTTW card. If we can opt out on our upcoming trip, we will.

When we check in we always make sure that they remove the credit card info from file. We have the dining plan and pay cash for anything else we want. With the info removed there is no way that anything can be charged to my card by mistake.

It's my understanding that the credit card itself isn't linked to the Magic Band directly. Your credit card is linked to your room reservation (if you choose to do that). Then, you use the Magic Band to charge to the room - and if you have a credit card set up, the charges go on that way.

I also understand that if you choose to put Disney Gift Cards on your room, you can do that instead of using a credit card.

People had posted on the DIS about worrying about losing their Magic Bands, thinking that people could use the info "stored" on the Magic Bands to charge stuff. It doesn't work that way, luckily. The bands have an RFID chip in them with your My Disney Experience (MDE) info. That's what lets you scan them and pull up your Fast Passes, your room reservation (for charging), etc. There is no credit card info stored on the actual band itself.

Also, you need a PIN code to charge things to your room, so even if someone has found a Magic Band, they would need the associagted PIN code to charge anything to the room.

Can anyone confirm this? This is what I've read on the DIS - I think it's correct, but would appreciate it if someone could confirm. Thanks!

I'll admit I haven't done online checkin in a few months, but most of the times I've done it it LOOKS like you have to put a CC down, but you can just skip it. I think one time it didn't work, but later I redid online checkin and took it off and just skipped the CC.

At the resort you only have to put a CC down IF you want to charge to the room. If you don't want that, you do NOT need to put a CC down. Even if you are paying off your room-only balance that doesn't automatically put charging onto the room.

When we went down last August we linked a card to our room, I believe you had to for on-line check in but I didn't link a card to our bands. We just used gift cards or cash for all our purchases.

And if you are planning to use your Magic Band to make purchases (if you are staying at a Disney hotel) you need to create a PIN.

I'm DVC and I use gift cards for making purchases rather than charging to the room, so I have never linked a credit card to my Magic Band.

Will they still give you a card to use in the parks associated with your room if you ask? We want to use magic bands for everything but purchases. We want to charge everything to a card then pay cash at checkout. Hope this makes sense.

- You can only charge using your MB if you are staying at a Disney resort.
- You have to authorize charging to the MB, so no you do not have to have it.
- You must enter a PIN every time you charge, even for a Mickey Bar!
- You can have some MB allow charging, and some not (aka kids).
- NOTHING is on your MB, it is only a gateway to your MyDisneyExperience account where the info is stored.
- I do believe online check in requires a credit card, otherwise you go to the front desk to check in.
- The new direct to room would absolutely require you to have a credit card on file to pay room, but again it does not have to be set up for charging.
- There is no difference between a MB or a plastic Room Key in the process.
- Note they do have your CC on file for all your ADRs but it is only to bill no show fees.

1. Will they still give you a card to use in the parks associated with your room if you ask?

2. We want to use magic bands for everything but purchases. We want to charge everything to a card then pay cash at checkout.

3. Hope this makes sense.

1. Yes. It's just a standard RFID enhanced park ticket.
2. But, the RFID card (in your name) and the MagicBand (in your name) will BOTH have the charging privileges.

I don't understand why you'd want to use the RFID card for charging but NOT use the MB for charging.
Same files, same PIN-code protection, same account.

3. Not so much.

We stayed at Coronado Springs over NYE and were given the option to link a card or not. We did, for ease of checking out at shops on such a crazy day. We never did it before because we always shared a room with friends that we did not want to have access to my card, but we will on this upcoming trip since it's just us two.

And if you are planning to use your Magic Band to make purchases (if you are staying at a Disney hotel) you need to create a PIN.

I'm DVC and I use gift cards for making purchases rather than charging to the room, so I have never linked a credit card to my Magic Band.
Just to be clear, the credit card gets linked to your room- not your magic band. Purchases made with the band get charged to your room.

We stayed at Coronado Springs over NYE and were given the option to link a card or not. We did, for ease of checking out at shops on such a crazy day. We never did it before because we always shared a room with friends that we did not want to have access to my card, but we will on this upcoming trip since it's just us two.

You can make the access to charging connected with individual guests.
Everyone in the room does not have to be linked to the charging.

You can make the access to charging connected with individual guests.
Everyone in the room does not have to be linked to the charging.

I figured that out now on the last trip haha...before either it was never explained to us that way or we just didn't understand it right. I had no idea we could until the CM told us that!

Also, I feel so honored to be replied to by you Robo! I have been here since 2007 and always love your posts!

I figured that out now on the last trip haha...before either it was never explained to us that way or we just didn't understand it right. I had no idea we could until the CM told us that!

Also, I feel so honored to be replied to by you Robo! I have been here since 2007 and always love your posts!

I'm blushing!

:flower3:

makes no difference whether you use the magic band or RFID card to charge back to your room. It's the same procedure and technology.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter