• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it really worth it to stay on-site?

honkytonkmama

Mouseketeer
I am going back and forth on staying on or off site. Mostly it is not being able to convince my hubby that staying on-site is worth the extra money. Should I keep on trying to convince him, or just find a nice hotel off site? Anyone have any Words of advice could help me convince him? :wizard:

I am going back and forth on staying on or off site. Mostly it is not being able to convince my hubby that staying on-site is worth the extra money. Should I keep on trying to convince him, or just find a nice hotel off site? Anyone have any Words of advice could help me convince him? :wizard:

We would never consider staying off-site. First (although we rent a car), you have the Disney transportation system which makes life so much easier for most people. Second, you have the extra hours in the morning and evening for those guests staying at one of the resorts which gives you an opportunity to get to the park an hour earlier on a specific morning or stay three hours later on a specific evening and ride attractions with little to no wait. And third, it just, in our opinion, makes the trip all that more magical. Good luck convincing hubby. Here's some pixie dust to help. pixiedust: pixiedust:

Staying on-site definitely has its perks

1. Free transportation to/from the airport
2. Free transportation while on property
3. Access to Disney's Extra Magic Hours.
4. Convenience
5. You are always engulfed with Disney Magic

Staying offsite you will most likely have to rent a car which can be ex*****ve and they you will have to pay for gas and pay for parking in the theme parks. Parking for the theme parks is $11/day. Gas is 4/gallon and Rental cars are a couple hundred dollars for the week.

We much prefer staying on site. The free busses save $11/day on parking and the cost of a rental car and the cost of transportation to and from the airport. We also take advantage of the dining plan which has saved us quite a bit. We are in love:love: with CSR and can't find anything like it off property. There's something about seeing fireworks at night and really being in the middle of the magic that clinches the deal for us. Even if we have to stay in a value, it's still in the heart of Disney

Well, we will be driving there, so we dont have to worry about getting too and from places.

What is CSR:duck:

Another vote for staying "on property". We'll be there by the end of the month !

In addition to free transport, Extra Magic Hours, concierge service for reservations if need be, and the Disney bubble... there is the convenience of being able to swing back to the resort to rest or hit the pool, before giving another park push in the evening. A bit more money, but so worth it in my family's estimation. :thumbsup2

Staying OFFsite would be much more expensive for us. Our room is 93 bucks a night including tax, no gas costs, no car rental, no parking fees....plus the DDP saves even more $$, and combine that with the EMH's....can't beat it!

If your trip is strictly to do Disney and nothing else (no Sea World, Universal, etc), then I would say it is DEFINITELY worth it to stay onsite ::yes::. Not only is transportation to/from the parks free and convenient, but you would be able to use the extra magic hours in the morning/evening, get the dining plan, etc. But the most important factor for our family is being surrounded by the "magic" 24/7 :cool1: :cool1:. There's nothing that beats being totally immersed in Disney everywhere you turn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week :dance3:. Good luck convincing your hubby....here's a little pixie dust for you pixiedust: pixiedust:.

Here is another the big reason I stay on site (DVC). We go in the summer and take mid day breaks so 4 trips to or from an off sight hotel or condo takes up to much of the day. We have stayed at Cypress Harbour so it is not about the quality of the accommodations.

bookwormde

I've done it both ways (stayed both off-site and on-site) and I much preferred the trip on-site.

I didn't have to drive and stress about where I was going and *all* the other crazy drivers who were lost :rotfl: and I didn't have to worry about finding a gas station to fill up the rental car.

I also loved the extra perks of being able to stay for the EMH, having my park tickets combined with my KTTK (also can be used as a charge card, eliminating the need to carry cash/other cc's) and that we could send things back to the resort if we wanted.

If you do stay onsite, I don't think you'll be sorry. :goodvibes :wizard:

We like to stay on-site because of free magical express, free bus transporation to and from the parks and between the parks, Extra Magic Hours (morning and night), free package delivery to your room, you can use your room key to charge things to your room, and last but not least, the dining plan. We love, love, love it. It saves our family a ton of money each trip and we really like the convenience of it.

I can't imagine going to WDW & NOT staying on Disney property. All the previous posters have given excellent reasons: transportation, extra magic hours, etc. IMO, the best part about staying on Disney property is that once you enter, you are completely immersed in the magic of Disney 24/7 & the outside world ceases to exist, until your departure. If cost is an issue, look at the value resorts because they are really rather inexpensive & they should suit your needs just fine. Good luck!!

He is thinking we can find a hotel for 50 a night. We will also be going to sea world for at least one day. When I first started planning this trip, I went insane and thought we could stay at the animal kingdom hotel for two weeks :duck: and I think that kinda scared him. LOL. it is still gonna be 100 a night at the value resorts thou, look at the 2008 prices.

Ok, and as a side question. If we do stay on-site...How odd would it be to stay at animal kingdom for just one night, and go to a value resort? Is that just dumb? Anyone done this before?

Plus off-site we were looking in to rooms with little kichennets (ya know, little stoves and friges)

He is thinking we can find a hotel for 50 a night. We will also be going to sea world for at least one day. When I first started planning this trip, I went insane and thought we could stay at the animal kingdom hotel for two weeks :duck: and I think that kinda scared him. LOL. it is still gonna be 100 a night at the value resorts thou, look at the 2008 prices.

Ok, and as a side question. If we do stay on-site...How odd would it be to stay at animal kingdom for just one night, and go to a value resort? Is that just dumb? Anyone done this before?

Not dumb at all. LOTS of people do this! People split up trips btwn resorts all the time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter