• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IS IT REALLY TRUE?

I'm certain the original reason had to do with no air conditioning in schools and kids not paying attention. There just hasn't been a reason to change the calendar.

Yeah, the A/C was the driving reason behind our school calendar for many years until they finally pushed to have all the buildings retrofitted over a long period of time.

But I was thinking last year I saw a lot of threads commenting that school started even later than normal for a lot of northeast schools, maybe up to a week after Labor Day? But it's also possible I have my years mixed up.

Someone else has pointed out the hurricane threat last year and I had forgotten about that, but I can see that being a crowd driver as well.

Bottom line is that Labor Day weekend itself is not as crowded as other holiday weekends. But the days right after Labor Day are as good a bet as you will find for low crowds. If it's crowded then, you probably weren't going to do any better any other time.

I just wish I could tolerate the heat or that week would have been our "go to" week.

Well, you won't have our family to contend with! lol

We're heading for cooler weather this time (week after Thanksgiving). I can't really take the heat OR the crowds (though I know it's impossible to avoid the crowds entirely) so at least by going later in the year I should be avoiding the heat at least. The crowds will always be there so we're planning to hit rope drops and/or am emh to try to mitigate their impact the best we can.

We went the week after Thanksgiving in 2014. We loved all the Christmas decor. Have a great trip!

I'm from uk , when is Labor Day? Thanks
It's that crowded time of year when all the Brits come starting end of August due to their Free Dining specials.
We always go Labor Day weekend time and noticed over the past 4 years,the crowd levels are significantly higher.. last year IMO was packed.. but then we were spoiled from previous years.. also ALOT take their kids out of school as FD is too good for some to resist..

granted it is not crowded like other holidays no where near the 4th of July, Thanksgiving etc... If you are looking for lower crowds, pick a weekend end of September, October etc.... also alot of schools start later now too.. I think thisy ear Labor Day is earlier,, ( more crowds)

I've been the week just before Labor Day a few times (well, once we went the two weeks before - long trip).

It is a very slow time. Last year, my DD and I went week before, and during the week one day Soarin' was a walk on. All. Day. Then that Friday wait times were up, but nothing like your usual summer or spring break times at all. We love that week (we're in Maryland, and her school doesn't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day), and we're going again this year same time (but a few days earlier to use up our AP - got free QSDP so had to buy 2 day park hoppers, which we'll save for next spring break).

You do have the occasional storm in the afternoon, and it's humid and hot, but no more so than in Maryland. And I've had it much hotter early June than late August. It cools down at night, so we still bring a hoodie jacket.

It really is my favorite time to go.

Forgot to add - one year we went for 15 nights the end of August (right before Labor Day), and were staying off site. We went for an early dinner in Kissimmee at a Macaroni Grill (which was a very good choice - great food). We got such good service. We were the ONLY people in the restaurant! The whole time we were there.

And since it's a slow time, I got our rental car for $200 total including tax for 16 days.

We have been going that week for the last 6 years or so. The parks used to be pretty much deserted, but the last couple of years crowds have really been building. Last year, it was packed with foreign tourists that week. Since the heat is nearly unbearable, we are changing to a time closer to the holidays.

We have been during Labor Day and the week after twice, and will be there again this year. Our last visit was 2010, though, so I know a lot has changed. We found the weekend before Labor Day to be pretty crowded- in fact the Sunday before was so busy we just went back to the room. But Monday through the following weekend we have had low to no crowds, although one year there were back to back hurricane threats. I do get a bit anxious that the "new normal" is much crazier than we have ever seen before, but I hope things are still manageable, which in the back of my mind I expect they would be. I keep checking times on the Lines app and am surprised how slow the summer has been so far overall. I don't know if that will carry over to Sept, or if that is when everyone is planning to attend since the "secret" is out.

We have been during Labor Day and the week after twice, and will be there again this year. Our last visit was 2010, though, so I know a lot has changed. We found the weekend before Labor Day to be pretty crowded- in fact the Sunday before was so busy we just went back to the room. But Monday through the following weekend we have had low to no crowds, although one year there were back to back hurricane threats. I do get a bit anxious that the "new normal" is much crazier than we have ever seen before, but I hope things are still manageable, which in the back of my mind I expect they would be. I keep checking times on the Lines app and am surprised how slow the summer has been so far overall. I don't know if that will carry over to Sept, or if that is when everyone is planning to attend since the "secret" is out.

That is funny, since I've been the same time frame as you before Labor Day. It was so quiet! This was 2006, 2007, 2012, 2015 and this year.

It has never been crowded that week for us, and we did the two weeks before once.

I'm certain the original reason had to do with no air conditioning in schools and kids not paying attention. There just hasn't been a reason to change the calendar.
I think AC is still the reason. Our district only has AC for offices, preschool- those kinds of rooms. The buildings are largely non-AC. You do get some uncomfortable days in June and September but overall it's a great calendar for our climate.

I think the week after LD was a little more crowded last year due to the hurricane threat. Unfortunately, it is hurricane season, and it's hot as blazes. There was a hurricane threatening FL at the end of Aug last year. Many people cancelled after the state of emergency was issued for Orlando (after Orlando was projected to take a direct hit). Many people postponed by a week or two making early Sept more crowded.

I think the week after LD was a little more crowded last year due to the hurricane threat. Unfortunately, it is hurricane season, and it's hot as blazes. There was a hurricane threatening FL at the end of Aug last year. Many people cancelled after the state of emergency was issued for Orlando (after Orlando was projected to take a direct hit). Many people postponed by a week or two making early Sept more crowded.

I agree. I think that hurricane threat really changed the Sept 'dynamic' last year. I had never seen a week after LD like last year.

I think AC is still the reason. Our district only has AC for offices, preschool- those kinds of rooms. The buildings are largely non-AC. You do get some uncomfortable days in June and September but overall it's a great calendar for our climate.
I believe it! My kids' school is only 10 years old, so it has AC, but I'm sure there are many older schools that are still without.

We used to go every September when the kids were small, but we haven't been back during September in several years. That being said, it always seemed to be busy the weekend right before Labor Day. Friday, Saturday, Sunday the crowds would build and it would be busy on LD itself, then the crowds would be almost non existent that week following LD. Whether that is still the case, idk, I guess I'll find out in a couple of months.

The heat, though, is stifling. I love going the week before Thanksgiving, oh the weather is so very nice!

Is it really true that Labor Day is one of the least crowded times to go?
I can tell you that I just moved my CM and ohana breakfast ADR and had quite a few selections for time. There is still A LOT available. I also just booked my FP today and didn't get to them until noon because I had to work and booked SDMT for our first day with just about ANY time I wanted as well as FEA on Labor Day. It's looking like it will be pretty slow. We went a few years back the first week and it was less than 20 minutes for most things.

They make the school calendar based on the kids getting the most pool days in the summer?

Here in NYC the pools open based on when school ends, which is the last week of June. (June 28th was the last day this year.)

I attended NYC public school for k-8, and even college in the NYC college system (CUNY) and never had a/c. Occasionally in college if I was in the newer campus building there was ac, but I rarely had classes there. Even when I switched to a private university in NYC there was rarely a/c. Didn't it get hot in ye olden days? It was certainly stifling at times. DD now goes to a NYC public school and only the second floor of the three story building has a/c because the grid the school is on can't handle more than that. The offices are mainly on the second floor, so that's why that floor is the one with the air.

Here in NYC the pools open based on when school ends, which is the last week of June. (June 28th was the last day this year.)

I attended NYC public school for k-8, and even college in the NYC college system (CUNY) and never had a/c. Occasionally in college if I was in the newer campus building there was ac, but I rarely had classes there. Even when I switched to a private university in NYC there was rarely a/c. Didn't it get hot in ye olden days? It was certainly stifling at times. DD now goes to a NYC public school and only the second floor of the three story building has a/c because the grid the school is on can't handle more than that. The offices are mainly on the second floor, so that's why that floor is the one with the air.

I'm not surprised about that. I was just saying I would be surprised if it was the other way around with the school setting its calendar based on kids getting the most fun out of their break.

I know when our schools were not air conditioned, it was about trying to minimize any heat days when they would have to cancel class or release early.

I belive some states have laws regulating how early the year can start.

I know when our schools were not air conditioned, it was about trying to minimize any heat days when they would have to cancel class or release early.
I'm sure it's about minimizing heat here as well, although canceling classes for heat would never happen. It would have to be hotter than the surface of the sun for that to *maybe* happen. ;)

I'm sure it's about minimizing heat here as well, although canceling classes for heat would never happen. It would have to be hotter than the surface of the sun for that to *maybe* happen. ;)

Here in the Midwest, it does get that hot. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter