• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it really that hot in August?

If you found any part of October to be bad then Yes August will be brutal to you. Some people can handle it, others can't. October will never come close to what August is like as October has much lower humidity.

Also August is peak hurricane season, a main reason for the free dining. :thumbsup2

I've lived my whole life in upstate New York and I ALWAYS go to Disney in August and wouldn't go any other time of year. Yes, it's hot, but no hotter than normal! Carry a mister fan and most important....GO BACK TO YOUR HOTEL FOR THE WHOLE AFTERNOON. The afternoons really ARE bad.... So take it from a northerner where the temp RARELY gets above 85 degrees and is usually downright cold, Florida in August is NOT bad!

We just canceled our August trip b/c we realized that the weather will be too much for us. Going in December now.

Take it from someone who has lived in FL my whole life it is HOT, but the humidity is what is so awful. Tortures my hair and makeup. But I wouldn't give up a trip b/c of it. Just be prepared for daily thunderstorms and rain that usuall dont last long, but instead of making it any cooler makes the humidity worse. Plus is that in Aug the crowds start to lift. Go have fun drinks lots of water. wear plenty os sunscreen, and take afternoon swims.

I went on my honeymoon in August of 99 and it was in the 90's every day and there was an afternoon thunder shower every day also but in hind sight I don't remember it being that bad. :thumbsup2 Have a great one.

:sunny: :faint:

YES!!!!

I tried to prepare my kids for it but no words could prepare them for it!!

We've gone (last week of ) August, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec.

But I must say even though it was SO SO hot and humid, we'd do it again because it was nice not to miss school and it was pretty good crowd-wise.

Yes, it's that hot. Think "walking on the surface of the sun" or "blast furnace" and you'll have a good idea of what it's like. Free dining or no, I personally don't think it's worth it. JMO.

We've been to WD in August a few times and are going again this August! YES it's HOT HOT HOT and humid. We wear lightly colored , light weight clothing, drench in sunblock, we bring plenty of water to drink, and the cooling mister fans help keep us cool! But the way we do it is to get there first thing in the morning and take breaks during the middle of the afternoon when the sun is at it's strongest! We then head out again as the sun is setting. Works well for us and our kids. In the past the parks have not been all that crowded during the times we've been in August and that is one of the reasons we go back! Before the kids are in school and also being there for my middle DD's b-day! If you can't take the heat and humidity it's probably NOT a good idea for you, sorry to say! but then again if you plan well and are prepared for such things you may do just fine!

We usually go in July/August. The weather is FANTASTIC. Lovely and hot - definitely not too hot - and we're from the UK! I'm going back this August - it's my favourite time to go!

Went in August last year and still willing to go again in July this year.

The temperature was consistently in the low 90s, comparable humidity, and rained every afternoon (your prototypical Florida summer day). My family and I didn't have any problems. My mom struggled mightily.

A lot of your it depends on your physical fitness.

I guess my family is the exception -- we recognize it's hot and humid, but if you stay hydrated, wear sunscreen and proper clothing, it's no big deal. Disney is always blasting cold air out of the buildings, and personally, I think one of the best feelings in the world is walking out of the heat into the cool fun of Pirates of the Caribbean or the Haunted Mansion.

Someone mentioned thunderstorms -- yes, there is often thunder and lightning involved, but typically these storms roll through in less than an hour on summer afternoons, and cools things off considerably for the evening. If you absolutely don't like heat and humidity, then I guess that time of year is not for you.

I suppose we locals should consider ourselves lucky that there are so many who can't tolerate the summer weather here -- late summer/early fall is the best time to visit the parks for many of us. We like the heat, and the parks are nearly empty. I'd much rather deal with 95 degree heat at 100% humidity than elbowing my way through 40,000 other people in MK.

Our family went last August and it was way too hot for us. We're on a mission to go every month of the year and that was one of the four we had left.

One day my youngest DD broke out in hives from the heat and it was evening . . . the sun was down. We went back to OKW and had her take a bath and fortunately didn't have to make a hospital trip although I thought it was going to be necessary.

We are outdoors a lot in the summer . . . we spend the three months the kids have off at our neighborhood pool. We thought we would be fine. But the pool water was so hot at OKW it wasn't refreshing. It was in the mid to upper 90s the whole week we were there with no rain. We did have heat lightning in the evening which prevented us from taking evening swims. They did not clear the pools but my kids know the lightning/thunder=no swimming rule. They were so worried about the people who stayed in the pool.

Wish I had taken the advice of other posters and just hung out in the room mid-afternoon. Maybe that would have helped us. But I don't think we'll be back in August to test that theory.

We just got back (May 6-10) and it is already EXTREMELY hot. The mister fan is a MUST!! We were so glad we brought our own as the ones in the park are around $15. Taking a break in the middle of the day works well. Also having an early dinner in the air conditioning (around 5 or 5:30) is perfect because it is still very hot then, but by the time you are done it is much cooler and you are recharged and ready to go again. If I had the chance I would go again anytime - hot or not!!

We're going in August and I hate heat and humidity - HOWEVER - I wanted to take DD one last time before the rest of the world gets a say (she starts Kindergarten). My plan is early parks, lunchtime head back to the hotel (we're doing the Poly this time to make things more convenient) and swim then nap, then head out to dinner and evenings in the park. If we're miserable we'll stick to water parks and the pool. Otherwise we'll do what we can and take it easy otherwise.

ADisneyQueen said:
Oh, I know it probably will be, but FREE DINING! Is it really that bad? I have to say we don't do well with really hot sunlight. Or is it more the humidity? We went in Oct. once and it was mid and upper 80s and we thought some parts of the day were bad.

If you thought it was bad in the 80's then August is probably not the right time of year for you to go. Temperatures often rise above 100 in August. That's why we don't mind the summer black out dates on our seasonal passes, we would never go then anyway! HTH

We went last year in August and it was HOT and very humid. As soon as we stepped outside in the morning from our hotel room, my friend's glasses fogged up and by the time we walked from our room to the restaurant for breakfast (2 minute walk) our T-shirts were already sticking to us. It was hot, but there are quite a few rides where you'd really feel the air conditioning. The evenings were still very humid too. I brought a few dressy outfits for Pleasure Island, but it was too hot to wear anything really nice.

We weren't miserable or anything, but we were very hot. I wasn't with any kids, so I don't know what the heat would be like for them. Just drink plenty of water and take breaks!! Oh yea, and don't wear any grey t-shirts because then you'll see the sweat!! lol

YES :sunny: :sunny: and very humid but we all aclimitased very well and are going again in August the elderly are most likely to suffer( my nan 69 hated it)

Good luck :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter