• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it okay to change a baby’s diaper at a table?

I can't tell you how many diapers I changed in my car, trunk of DH's car, the stroller or in a quiet corner on the floor when there was no changing facilities to be found. Did I expect every store or restaurant, family friendly or not, to provide a changing area? Nope. I was always prepared to go elsewhere and was pleasantly surprised when one was available. I would never dream of changing a diaper on the table or on a chair in a dining area. How gross! Would you tend to your bathroom needs in a dining room? I would certainly hope not!

I'm at the age where I don't care what people think of me and would probably say something to someone who was changing a diaper in a dining area period.

I also get frustrated with people who think that all retail and food establishments should be everything to everybody. I used to work retail and the expectations of some people is just amazing.

To the man who threw down his coffee, what a childish stunt. He and his wife were in the wrong and had I been there, I would have told him so. Sorry, I don't think it's cute to see your child's wee wee while I'm eating/drinking. What a jerk!

And to those that allow your child to sit on a table in a food establishment, that's not cool either. I raised two kids and did hundreds of loads of laundry, and no matter how much they tell you they wiped, well, let's just say I've
seen a lot of skid marks on underwear. UGH!

Just my 2 cents!

2Kds2K9 said:
I can't tell you how many diapers I changed in my car, trunk of DH's car, the stroller or in a quiet corner on the floor when there was no changing facilities to be found. Did I expect every store or restaurant, family friendly or not, to provide a changing area? Nope. I was always prepared to go elsewhere and was pleasantly surprised when one was available. I would never dream of changing a diaper on the table or on a chair in a dining area. How gross! Would you tend to your bathroom needs in a dining room? I would certainly hope not!

I'm at the age where I don't care what people think of me and would probably say something to someone who was changing a diaper in a dining area period.

I also get frustrated with people who think that all retail and food establishments should be everything to everybody. I used to work retail and the expectations of some people is just amazing.

To the man who threw down his coffee, what a childish stunt. He and his wife were in the wrong and had I been there, I would have told him so. Sorry, I don't think it's cute to see your child's wee wee while I'm eating/drinking. What a jerk!

And to those that allow your child to sit on a table in a food establishment, that's not cool either. I raised two kids and did hundreds of loads of laundry, and no matter how much they tell you they wiped, well, let's just say I've

Just my 2 cents!

Well said

I understand where you are coming from but I just can't understand not going somewhere because they don't have a changing table.
It never stopped me, but if someone else wants to be more confined, they are welcome to. MUCH better than those who want everywhere to be required to provide them :)

Just my 2 cents!
:thumbsup2

All the post has proved is that there are some persons who think it's OK to change a diaper on a dining table, including some who think the absence of a bathroom changing table gives parents the right to change a diaper on a dining table. Most don't like the idea of having exposed poop on a dining table. I don't either. I've seen it done in places where I know the staff doesn't always wipe the table between guests (WDW I'm looking at you). Guess it's time to start carrying a mini pack of Clorox wipes myself.

These parents didn't strike much of a blow for parents of infants everywhere when the dad threw a hissy fit and poured coffee on the floor.

I didn't read one post where anyone said it was okay to change the diaper at the table.

I have four kids. I would NEVER change any of my children's diapers at a table in a restaurant, or establishment where food was served. That is just disgusting! I have spent many a times changing diapers in the trunk or seat of my car, or using a stroller. If worse came to worse, I would wait until I got back to the house or hotel room.

lizzi6692 said:
There was someone early on who said they didn't get what the big deal was and that they saw nothing wrong with it.

There def was someone who said it wasn't a big deal.

There def was someone who said it wasn't a big deal.

Yup ... that was me. But most people commenting on that post miss the part where I said that I didn't think it was a big deal if the table was in a quiet or discreet place and they cleaned up after themselves. As I said in that post, I see it all the time at WDW -- someone takes their child to a quiet corner and does a quick diaper change and cleans up after with disinfectant wipes. And pretty much no one ever notices.

I did NOT say I thought it was okay to plop a kid down in the middle of a busy restaurant and change his diaper on the table where other people were eating, leaving all of the mess behind.

So there was a bit of a distinction there. Most people seem to have stopped at "I don't think it's that big of a deal ..." and wrote their response before reading the rest of the post. :flower3:

:earsboy:

Yup ... that was me. But most people commenting on that post miss the part where I said that I didn't think it was a big deal if the table was in a quiet or discreet place and they cleaned up after themselves. As I said in that post, I see it all the time at WDW -- someone takes their child to a quiet corner and does a quick diaper change and cleans up after with disinfectant wipes. And pretty much no one ever notices.

I did NOT say I thought it was okay to plop a kid down in the middle of a busy restaurant and change his diaper on the table where other people were eating, leaving all of the mess behind.

So there was a bit of a distinction there. Most people seem to have stopped at "I don't think it's that big of a deal ..." and wrote their response before reading the rest of the post. :flower3:

That NEVER happens on the DIS. :rotfl2:

WDSearcher said:

I don't care if it's in a quiet area. That is still a table people eat on. That is disgusting.

It is disgusting, inconsiderate and NOT hygenic...

and to that manager that felt he needed to be politically correct and apologized on behalf of his employees ...:confused3
Get a grip....
its not wrong to actually have some common sense and ask an adult that is mentally competent to
please clean down the area that they utilized as their personal bathroom because they were too lazy to go to their car or unprepared to change/take care of their child .......:headache:

just be considerate and use common sense ...why is that so difficult for some people?????
fecal matter and food....................would she do it on her own dining room table before serving food?

Then again, maybe she would :confused3

I'm still of the mind that you don't ever purposefully put poop on a surface meant for food. No matter if you clean up afterward.

I don't care if it's in a quiet area. That is still a table people eat on. That is disgusting.
Again ... if the person changing the baby completes the task and wipes down the entire table with a disinfectent wipe, I don't see a huge deal there.

When you walk into a Starbucks or someplace, buy your coffee and sit at a table, do you inspect it first to be sure that there are no germs? Do you know the last time it was cleaned by staff? Do you know if the water they were using was pristine or treated with disinfectent? Maybe the last people who used your table sneezed all over it and no one has had a chance to clean it yet. Maybe someone let their dog lick whipped cream off your chair.

There are a gazillion reasons why that table you're about to sit at could be rife with germs and invisible unsanitary things. But I'll bet if someone came up and wiped it down with a couple of Clorox wipes, you'd be all "Great! Clean table." How is that different?

There are a gazillion reasons why that table you're about to sit at could be rife with germs and invisible unsanitary things. But I'll bet if someone came up and wiped it down with a couple of Clorox wipes, you'd be all "Great! Clean table." How is that different?

You are right, there are germs swirling around everything and Clorox wipes are a great way to clean some of them up. I understand that concept, and I believe it. However, I also believe that there is a difference between germs that you do not see, and seeing someone change a baby in a public space that serves food. No one can be so discrete that there is no lingering evidence if that diaper is a messy one and the people in the restaurant should not need to include "non food" odors in their dining experience.

On a personal level, I probably would not mind, I understand that babies do not control their timing, and that they need to be changed. I also respect that others may mind and honestly, it is not always okay to disregard others in order to ensure one's own convenience, and this is what frequently happens.

Previously, someone said that she would never change her baby in a cold vehicle, so a restaurant bench it would be if that was the only alternative. I don't think that is okay. You know your baby may need to be changed and it is your responsibility to prepare. In your own home, you get to set teh boundaries but in someone else's space, like a restaurant or coffee shop, you do not. The owner has that right, and if the conveniences you look for are not available, you go someplace else.

I think that when people say "should have to have" or "should be required" they are not thinking about what that really means. "Required" means legislated, and once we start asking lawmakers to intrude into businesses to "require" businesses to provide things that are conveniences rather than human rights, I think it is a problem.

WDSearcher said:
Again ... if the person changing the baby completes the task and wipes down the entire table with a disinfectent wipe, I don't see a huge deal there.

When you walk into a Starbucks or someplace, buy your coffee and sit at a table, do you inspect it first to be sure that there are no germs? Do you know the last time it was cleaned by staff? Do you know if the water they were using was pristine or treated with disinfectent? Maybe the last people who used your table sneezed all over it and no one has had a chance to clean it yet. Maybe someone let their dog lick whipped cream off your chair.

There is a difference between someone sneezing and someone changing a dirty diaper on a table. Sneezing is expected it's completely normal but urine and feces should not ever come in contact with and eating surface. Shame on any parent who thinks it's ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter