Is It Okay To Ask About Other Cruise Lines Here?

LilMommyBug

DIS Veteran
In Sept we are going on a 7 day cruise with RCI for our 10 year anniv. I have never been on a cruise before (Or even out of this country) and DH hasn't been since he was a teenager.. so I have no clue where to begin w/planning excursions!

We are visiting:

Labadee, Haiti
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
George Town, Grand Cayman
Cozumel, Mexico

Anyone have any ideas of fun things to do there? From what I can tell it's cheaper to book things to do on your own instead of through the cruise line correct? In Cozumel I heard about a place called Nachi Cocom - anyone been there?

Also, I have heard from people that the vendors are really pushy & it's best to just stay away from the shops. Is that true?

ANY tips would be appreciated. :)

Most info about other cruise lines centers around ideas like how the other line is similar to or different from DCL versus direct discussion about a specific trip on another cruise line.

You may not get much info on this board about Labadee or Ocho Rios here as DCL does not sail there.

DCL does go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so that common link maybe will give you some general ideas about shore excursions. While some book private tours, many here book DCL shore excursions and the specific offering and price may be different for DCL.

I would recommend the CruiseCritic boards as these directly discuss Royal Caribbean. You will be able to get a lot more information there for your cruise.

You can certainly ask but as mentioned topic on other cruise lines usually are asked as a comparison to DCL.

You may get some good info here but for much more in depth info on a particular line "Cruise Critic" discussion forum would be your best bet.

Beware...they are not always as friendly as the Dis!!!

MJ

As an aside, you can explore your ports directly on the cruise critic forums in addition to exploring the RCI forum.
Good luck.

While both ships go to Cozumel, they dock at different piers several miles apart.

Sure, you can get info here on excursions, especially doing them on your own. In Grand Cayman, think Captain Marvin's or Native Way for snorkeling and island tours. You can easily do a beach day on your own by taxi. GC is beautiful and safe.

Do not expect Labadee to be anything like Castaway Cay. RCCL bills it as a private island, but it is anything but! We were asked for money by a native to sit in one of the cruise line-owned chairs on the beach! Then I was accosted for money in the restroom because a native woman handed me a paper towel when I washed my hands. Uh, yeah, I always carry cash in my swimsuit. The people in the shopping area actually put their hands on me. I never had that happen anywhere, even in the Nassau Straw Market. CocoCay, RCCL's REAL private island, is nice but they grossly misrepresent Labadee.

I bet you will have fun! I like all of those ports but get a bit bored with them since I've been to them all several times. Last time we were in Ocho Rios we discovered a great new place, though! It is called Mystic Mountain. They have a giant ski-lift type thing that leads to a jamaican bobsled like in Cool Runnings and a zip line course! It was one of the best excursions we have ever done.

In Cozumel we usually shop, this next trip we are trying a sailing/snorkeling adventured called Tucan. In Grand Cayman it is a must to snorkel with the stingrays!

Is the bobsled thing an alpine slide? Those are way cool! We just did the falls last time we were in Jamaica because that seemed like the "thing to do." If you do that, bring money for tips. There are natives there who assist you with the climb and expect to be tipped for it. And I have to say, they really do assist and I was more than happy to give them some $$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter