• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it O.K. for kids to miss a week of school for DW?

should kids miss school for Disney World?

• yes! good idea go have fun

• no bad idea don't do it

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm sure I'll get flamed on this but, I vote no. I'm a retired H.S. teacher and it's tough for kids to be out no matter what grade level. True you might be able to get their school work for that period of time, but they miss what the teacher is giving the class, which goes way beyond the paperwork value. Parents complain about their kids not learning anything in school now days, well they can't if their not there. Kids will be out enough for illnesses, or family emergencies during their school years. Bottom line, the kids need to be in class. When we went to Disney, other vaction spots or to visit family, we went during school breaks.

I'm sure I'll get flamed on this but, I vote no. I'm a retired H.S. teacher and it's tough for kids to be out no matter what grade level. True you might be able to get their school work for that period of time, but they miss what the teacher is giving the class, which goes way beyond the paperwork value. Parents complain about their kids not learning anything in school now days, well they can't if their not there. Kids will be out enough for illnesses, or family emergencies during their school years. Bottom line, the kids need to be in class. When we went to Disney, other vaction spots or to visit family, we went during school breaks.

No flames from me. I completely agree with you! My kids will be 4th and 7th graders this year and we've never taken them out of school for a vacation. We manage just fine to book trips during school vacations. Yes, it's hotter in the summer, more expensive around the holidays, etc., but we deal with it or do without and keep the kids in school. I'm an instructional assistant and see how hard teachers work to prepare for each day of school. I see them in the teacher's room making copies and gathering supplies for the next day's lessons. I wouldn't expect a teacher to take the time to make a packet with a week's worth of work just for my child. If a child is sick, needs surgery, or has some other reason to be out of school for an extended period, teachers will happily bend over backward to keep that child on track. But I wouldn't expect that so I could take a vacation. Just my opinion.

OMG!!! You are the worst mother in the world!!! How could you!!! LOL Just kidding!!! :lmao:

We are also taking our kids out of school in Sept they will be missing 6 days of school for us to go to WDW, I have no regrets and really don't care what other people think. We are going to go and have a great time and school will be here when we get back. My boys will be in 3rd and 2nd grade, I will ask for work, but I can't promise they will do it. They are on vacation and I won't force them to it, after all I won't be working, so why should they. I may have them bring a notebooks and have them write in it at night about what they did that day to share with the class and I am definately going to have to get stuff from Epcot about the different countries for them to share.

Having said that, my kids rarely miss school during the year, (last year they each missed maybe 3 the entire year due to illness, I even make the dr appnts after school or when there is no school). They are both pretty healthy, except for minor colds and like PP have said, this will probably be the last time I take them out of school, because as they get higher up the work load increases.

We'll be taking the 3 kids out this year for 6 days. My DD is in kindergarten, My DS is in 2nd grade and my DS is in 8th grade. My oldest does quite well in school. The school doesn't have a problem with them missing the days.

i think as long as your child is doing well in school, then theres no problem.
if you had a child is having a hard time keeping up with the class, then its just plain unfair to them.
only a parent can make that decision.

I've done it several times now and I think it's fine. I've given the teachers a heads up ahead of time and mentioned that they'd be willing to do work while they were gone.

I'm doing it again in December. I'm a little more nervous now as DS will be in 5th grade and DD will be going into 3rd. I think it gets harder as they get older. We'll see how it goes.

I have to put in my 2 cents. I had taught 4th grade for many years. While teaching I always got mad when parents took their kids out for vacation. Why couldn't they do that when there was no school. They are missing so much. I would give them make up work and could never get in graded because I was trying to keep up with the regular work.

Then, I quit, became a SAHM and was put into the same situation. Go to Disney in the summer, or go when we can afford it. So, I took my 5th grader out of school in October. She is gifted, so I wasn't worried about her missing anything. Really, most days she was just sitting in the corner doing brain teasers (and I am not exagerrating..whole different topic here!).

The next year I took her out of 6th in Septmeber which was middle school. She missed even less work. Apparently anyone can teach gifted classed in our school system..doesn't do much for the gifted kids.

Finally, last year we decided to homeschool. We vacation whenever we want and don't need anyone's permission. My older dd does many educational things at Epcot and DHS while we are there. She is doing the Aqua tour this year as she is studying Marine Biology this year.

Your children grow up so fast. Don't worry about missing some school when you can spend quality time with them. Time you will never get back.

Your children grow up so fast. Don't worry about missing some school when you can spend quality time with them. Time you will never get back.

I agree with your entire post, but especially the quote above!

I think there are a lot of educational experiences to be had at WDW if you know where to look. My DDs first trip where we did a daily journal on what she learned that day taught us that. Also, I grew up in a household where I got a lot of pressure about grades. When I went to college I had this awesome chem professor who noticed me getting stressed out when I didn't get top marks on an assignment, and he said something to me I will never forget. He said "Will you remember it in 5 or 10 years? Will it matter? If yes, go ahead and stress about it. If not, you're worrying too much." So my attitude is, in 10 years, is it going to matter if she misses a week or two of elementary school? She will still get good grades, still learn her multiplication. What will she remember? She will remember wonderful family times at WDW.

My DD learns a strong work ethic from watching her dad and I; we work like dogs. So we go on vacation when work and finances allows, which is usually when she is in school. So be it.

Okay, I will get off my soapbox now. Please understand I mean no disrespect to anyone's opinion, I just feel strongly that it is the right decision for my family. :flower3:

I said Yes -

At my old job it was very hard to take vacation during holidays and summer, that is when we were very busy.

This is the lst. time I am taking DS out of school in Sept. he will be in 3rd. grade. DH is deploying right after that so we want to take time before he leaves and plus DH will see his father in FL.

I'm taking my two DS out of K and 2nd grade for a week in November. It is the week before their week-long Thanksgiving break, so I know we will have plenty of time to make up missed work.
As a licensed teacher, I feel capable of keeping them on track.
This is the only time we could go and I really wanted them to experience Disney! That being said, I have not told the school yet, but plan to as soon as school starts.

Family is more important than school in my opinion. My DH is a police officer and does not get vacation during vacations. so we go when we can. I have gotten flack from the principal not the teacher.

MY DD is in the 2nd grade this year and she will be missing 8 days due to vacations this year.

4 for a family wedding at Thanksgiving and the other 4 for Disney in April. Our time as a family is short enough.

I have asked for work and never been given any to do but I have requirements of what the kid needs to do while we are away to provide a learning environment.

I know there are varied opinions on this but not everyone has a 9-5 job and is able to get away at Christmas/Easter/Presidents week and such.

No one seems to think their children struggle in school. I haven't read a single post that said "I'm not taking my children out of school because they can't handle it academically." I'm not knocking any of you that say you have gifted children (I'm sure you do!) It's just an observation on my part.

As a teacher, I do not advocate children missing school unless they are sick (by all means, stay home!) or if there is some sort of emergency. But, as a PP said, if kids aren't at school, teachers can't teach them. The flippant attitude people have about school attendance and school work is exactly why foreign countries are far surpassing us in academics and technology.

No one seems to think their children struggle in school. I haven't read a single post that said "I'm not taking my children out of school because they can't handle it academically." I'm not knocking any of you that say you have gifted children (I'm sure you do!) It's just an observation on my part.

As a teacher, I do not advocate children missing school unless they are sick (by all means, stay home!) or if there is some sort of emergency. But, as a PP said, if kids aren't at school, teachers can't teach them. The flippant attitude people have about school attendance and school work is exactly why foreign countries are far surpassing us in academics and technology.

I've often thought this, too. There always seems to be a disproportionately large amount of "gifted" or, at the very least, extremely bright children. I will be the 1st one to say: I have a child who would NEVER catch up. I have enough trouble getting her to do the work on time! A week's worth of make-up work would just be a recipe for disaster!

I reallly think that there are many factors to consider when making this decision. The most obvious one is, can your child handle the time away without being miserable for weeks when he/she comes back? I think that any time in high school is too hard. Too many teachers to deal with...some that might give your child a hard time, even. The academic strain is just too demanding at that point for them to have to do everything at once when they get home.

I noticed a pp mentioned people's flippant attitude toward school in general. I don't think that one vacation in a school year every couple of years while the children are young means that they don't view school seriously. I think a parent has to do a lot more than that to convey that attitude. If a child is really involved and does everything that is expected of him/her, than I don't personally believe that one vacation changes that.

I'm not sure what decision we will make when the time comes. But if we can only afford to go during the cheaper times, and our kids can handle it, then I think the week is worth it.

I will admit my DS is not Gifted and I don't honestly know how this will be with him missing school, but we will do whatever we have to and get caught up.

But, my DS won't be seeing DH for 1 year, so I think missing a couple of days of school isn't that big of a deal, spending time together is. I will also take him out in Oct. and go and see DH when he actually leaves the country.

I am not flippant about school at all - last year DS didn't miss any days (and no I didn't send him to school sick).

I take my kids out of school for a week for disney, and I do not have a flippant attitude about school attendance. My kids have had wonderful teachers and I appreciate them very much, but I don't think they are the only ones who can teach my children. I work with my children all summer long on educational projects and activities. When my children miss school, I am the one teaching them what they missed not to mention many other things. Education is important, but it is not only to be learned in a classroom. My school district has been fine with taking my kids out for vacation. Also my niece who was in 8th grade last year went with us to disney for a week. The teachers were fine with it. She is an all A student even after a disney vacation!!

My parent took me out of school for a week to disney every year until I was 17. I always made up my work and did just fine.

BTW I have a 6 year old who is average in school, and a 7 year old who is advanced and will be skipping 2nd grade this year. So yes, I am one of those with an advanced child. :)

I am not trying to start WWIII; I know this is a highly debated topic and know you can get flamed on these boards. I really don't have a flippant attitude about my children's education. My children are just average students. Actually my DD has very bad ADHD and struggles is math espcailly; in every other subject she is average , except Science which she excels at :confused3 . She is by no means gifted and frankly she is behind in math regardless if we take her out of school or not. Some of you would say that is reason enough not taker her; however; I know my children best. I am currently in college myself and will be missing a week of classes to go to WDW. I work hard to get ahead, I let my professors know early, and I have never had a problem. My children's education is the number one priority in my life even over my own education. If I really thought a week would make a difference I wouldn't do it! :)

I haven't read all the posts but-- I think it depends on the grade and the timing of your trip-- early elementary grades I think it is ok if it is not a habit but I think in MS or HS it would be harder to make up all the missed work and grade could suffer. We went in Dec last yr and the girls missed the las 2 days before Christmas break.

But, my DS won't be seeing DH for 1 year, so I think missing a couple of days of school isn't that big of a deal, spending time together is. I will also take him out in Oct. and go and see DH when he actually leaves the country.

That must be so difficult! I give you a lot of credit!! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I take my kids out of school for a week for disney, and I do not have a flippant attitude about school attendance. My kids have had wonderful teachers and I appreciate them very much, but I don't think they are the only ones who can teach my children. I work with my children all summer long on educational projects and activities. When my children miss school, I am the one teaching them what they missed not to mention many other things. Education is important, but it is not only to be learned in a classroom.

Very well said. OT - What kinds of projects are you doing? My DD8 and I are working on 3rd grade reading, math, and social studies activity books and a great age-appropriate science experiment book I found, but we are almost through them and are looking for other fun/educational projects to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter