Is it no problem to reduce the number of guests on a dining reservation?

If anyone has any insight on this situation would be of help to me:

Four relatives may be joining my family for a few of our meals at Disney World. It is likely they will go, but there is a chance they may have to cancel their trip. If I make a Disney dining reservation for 9, can I later call and change it to just 5 with no problem, or will they say "you need to make a new reservation and there is no gaurantee that once cancelling for 9 that there will be availablilty for 5 due to how the system works"?

Just let them know they day before and they will adjust the party size. To my understanding they will not cancel the reservation. If you just show up they may make you wait longer since they will be looking for seating to accommodate the new party size. They do not want to have larger tables set up if they are not going to be used. I hope this helps!

We were originally going to travel in a party of 5, and then my brother couldn't make it so we were only 4. I didn't even call, I just told them when I checked in that it was 4 instead of 5. Since your difference will be larger it's probably a good idea to call, but I think you'll be fine either way.

I am very leery of adjusting my dining reservations anymore. I had a reservation booked for 10 at Sci-Fi 180 days in advance. I had called before vacation(I don't remember exactly how long before...maybe 2 months or so) to adjust the reservation from 10 to 8, the CM said no problem, she re-read my reservation details,confirmed the confirmation # was the same and that was it. As my trip was approaching and I was drafting my schedule I could not remember what time my Sci-Fi reservation was for. I called Disney Dining, gave them the confirmation #, etc. and guess what...They could not find my reservation :eek: She had asked me if I had canceled it and of course I responded no, but I did tell her that I adjusted the amount of people and the response I got was "oh, I guess they canceled it instead" :furious: They checked my resort info, phone #,etc, just to see if I gave them the wrong confirmation #, but still nothing. Unfortunately, since I was about a week away, their were no reservations available.

So now, whatever I originally book is how I leave it unless I am canceling all together. It wasn't a huge deal since we had already eaten there, but if that was BOG I would have been sick :sick:

I would leave your ressie alone :)

Just let them know they day before and they will adjust the party size. To my understanding they will not cancel the reservation. If you just show up they may make you wait longer since they will be looking for seating to accommodate the new party size. They do not want to have larger tables set up if they are not going to be used. I hope this helps!

I don't believe this is true!!
If you call you will be told that you need to cancel the original reservation for 9 and make a new reservation for 5. Whether or not you can do this is based on availablitly for a party of 5 when you call.
If you just show up with 5 it will probably be acceptible.
Good Luck

It's always easier to show up with fewer people than on the reservation. If it is a credit card guarantee res, as long as at least one person shows up you will not be charged for the missing people and everyone who does show up will be seated.

I would not call to change the reservation because as a PP mentioned, too many CMs will cancel a res and try to make a new one rather than modify the one you currently have. If nothing is available and someone else picks up your cancelled reservation in the meantime, you will be without a res.

If you want to modify the reservation, I would try online to see if there is availability for your smaller group. If there is and you try to make a reservation that overlaps with the current one it will ask if you wish to cancel the original reservation. Once you agree to cancel the first res, you can confirm the new reservation. If you prefer to call and see about modifying your current reservation make it clear to the CM that you only want to modify the res. If the CM wants to cancel it, hang up and call again (or leave it be.)

If it is CRT or a dinner show you should call and remove them. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

and modified 7 ADR's from 6 guests to 4 guests. I can see all the reservations online, and the confirmation numbers all remained the same and now say 4 guests, so the CM just changed the number of guests and didn't cancel and re-book the reservations. If you are clear about what you want when you call, you shouldn't have a problem.

I would rather release the seats so others can make a reservation than hang onto seats we aren't going to use. I think it's good karma. If you don't change your reservations, your ADR's will be honored, but as a PP mentioned, you may have to wait for a smaller table to become available. I had that happen once when two members of my party were feeling unwell and didn't attend an ADR.

I too would like to reduce seats on some reservations, but am concerned on the reservations getting messed up.. I would like to let others find the open seats, but I would just leave it go. I might sometime if i pass that restaurant sometime, and it doesnt seem to busy pop my head in and let them know for the next day or something...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter