Is it necessary to book FP+ 60 days in advance?

ps17

DIS Veteran
If one wanted to be guaranteed of rides such as TSMM or 7DMT (Mine Train), for travel the week after Easter (April 1), is it necessary to book the ride at the 60 day mark? How far in advance to such rides start to lose availability? Or does availability only diminish at the 30 day mark where the non onsite guests become eligible?

Reason we would like to wait less than 60 days is to get the payment onto a different credit card cycle.

Depends on how many are in your group and when
DH and I are going in less than 30 days.
We are finding FP still available for both TSMM and 7DMT.
Not many times but they are there.
But that would not be the case for a group of 10 or in the summer or other busy season.

So, yes to get the best options you do need to book them as close to 60 days as possible. The longer you wait the more they dwindle.

For Easter Week, yes you will want to book those on day 60 at Midnight

I think 60 days is necessary if you only have specific times or days you can ride those rides. If you can be flexible, maybe not so much. That being said, it's a busier time of year so the earlier, the better.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835236

Their app continually pings and check FP+ availablity for the most popular attractions. From all that I've looked at it over time, if you want to do the Meet Anna and Elsa, you MUST do 60 day FP reservation. For 7DMT, I've found that if you go right in at Midnight at the 30 day mark, you'll get something (but not necessarily an ideal time that you want).

I would say yes .. just say you have more options of time. You may not have to do it at the crack of midnight, but the closer the better.

I guess my theory is .. why not?

There are some things (like A&E Meet and Greet) that even 60 days doesn't guarantee you a Fast Pass (since people with longer stays can technically make Fast Passes up to 10 days in advance). THAT is frustrating.

Reason we would like to wait less than 60 days is to get the payment onto a different credit card cycle.

I don't understand this portion-- FP is a free benefit of already having made an on-site reservation, it is not something you are charged for when booking at 60 days. (It is free for everyone, but you aren't charged anything at 60 days out when booking FP attractions/shows).

I don't understand this portion-- FP is a free benefit of already having made an on-site reservation, it is not something you are charged for when booking at 60 days. (It is free for everyone, but you aren't charged anything at 60 days out when booking FP attractions/shows).

Maybe we did not explain it well. If we book tomorrow, meaning purchase our room and acquire our tickets, that makes us eligible to book FP+ 60 days in advance, however between $1500-$2000 will go onto our credit card and get accrued to the current cycle. If we wait 7 days, $1500-$2000 charged to our next cycle which is better for us since we have a lot of money charged under this cycle.

Got it-- I didn't realize you didn't have your resort reservation yet. As with all things Disney, it's a balance of priorities and what is important to your family for this decision (billing cycle vs FP availability and room availability with a delayed booking).

Once you have your FP, keep checking daily to adjust the times if they are not perfect when you do book them. Oftentimes you can adjust your timing of an attraction FP due to other families finalizing their own schedules and things become available.

Good luck, it will be great fun when you get there no matter what.

Maybe we did not explain it well. If we book tomorrow, meaning purchase our room and acquire our tickets, that makes us eligible to book FP+ 60 days in advance, however between $1500-$2000 will go onto our credit card and get accrued to the current cycle. If we wait 7 days, $1500-$2000 charged to our next cycle which is better for us since we have a lot of money charged under this cycle.

If you want 7dmt or A&E at a certain time, on a certain day, you need to book at 60 days.

I'd also add that it depends on how many people are in the party. I've been able to get 7DMT at 24 days and 33 days out. I got A&E at 33 days out. But I am a party of 1. However, both were in less busy months as well. I'd recommend the sooner the better especially if you have a larger party to keep together.

If you are going Easter week, I would definitely book at the 60 day mark. A lot of schools are off the week after Easter and there might actually be limited availability for things like the 7DMT at the 60 day mark. I would not risk waiting too long after 60 days.

If it was 60 days then noone who was offsite would ever have a chance at anything decent for FP. This is not the case. We've always gotten what we've wanted even with going at busier times (We're semi-local and usually do day trips so haven't been onsite recently at all) which has included 7DMT, TSMM, Soarin' etc. If you have trouble finding what you want you might need to keep looking or just book FP for one person at a time

Last edited:
Isn't just $200 due immediately (deposit) and balance due at 30 days? Just book it with the small deposit, then finish the payment in a couple weeks.

Isn't just $200 due immediately (deposit) and balance due at 30 days? Just book it with the small deposit, then finish the payment in a couple weeks.

Yes - for a package (room with tickets) you pay $200 at booking and the balance by 45 days. In this case, only a 2-week difference, but it gets the bulk of the payment onto the next billing cycle for the OP. A room-only reservation (no tickets, like if you purchase them from another seller instead) requires a deposit of 1 room night with balance due much later - I believe at 5 days prior to check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter