• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it me or did Disney do the holidays on the cheap?

clfnole

Earning My Ears
Just got back from our truip (12/14 to 12/17). We have gone 4 out of the past 5 years for the holidays and have always had a great time. We have stayed at WL (2x) and BWI. This year we tried POLY. While the hotel itself was nice and we got a good room in Tahiti with 2 sinks overall the hotel didn't get you into the X-Mas spirit.

I have heard others mention that they skimped on decorations and things at other resorts. I didn't even know POLY was supposed to have a Christmas Village.

In the parks I commented to my wife that the decorations appeared sparce in certain areas. I could be mistaken but it seemed like I remember it being more lush.

MVMCP used to give a family picture with admission and that was gone. At the Osbourne Family Lights it was supposed to start at 6:00. We were all getting ready at 5:30 (not dark yet) and I go to get a pretzel and they start the show. Really weak, last year they waited until it was dark, the street was packed the snow started and then the lights.

Also some of the castmembers were less than friendly this year.

As far as the rides go, they seemed to be having a good amount of technical difficulties as Big Thunder Mountain RR, Aerosmith R&R and Nemo Muscial closed for periods. The Nemo Ride and Musical are average at best and to me look like they rushed to get something new out rather than take their time and come up with something special. The ride is rather boring and the Little Mermaid show is better than the musical.

All in all we had a pretty good time but we are going to take at least a few years off and see if this trend continues.

I too noticed fewer decorations at the resorts this year. As for the parks,with the esceptions of the entrances,you could hardly tell that it was Christmas.

Is it possible that in the rush to get things ready even earlier (the first MVMCP was extra early this year) some decorations needed to be sacrificed? I'd rather them do things up big and not offer the MVMCP's so early in the season, but for those that went early I'm sure they prefered being able to go to more decorations. I'm sure Disney et al prrefers the extra $$ from the extra parties and not paying extra people to put up more decorations. I love the decorations and wish they would be big and bountiful, but I also would have liked to see the Country Bears transformed as well!

i think the place looked beautiful....

but i have nothing to compare....

went to mvmcp on 12-1...
we were in the park during the day....
and marveled how there were even more
decorations up for the party...

cant imagine the world being better... :confused3
unless it's free :rotfl2:
kerri

Yes, the trend continues. For those of us that have been doing WDW in December for many years, the drop-off in decorations has been especially noticable.

I disagree with most of the OPs observations. I, too, have gone for several years in December. I thought the parks looked great. Swags were beautiful and in their usual places, wreaths where appropriate, lights where appropriate, Christmas music piped in, etc etc etc. Simple and elegant for the most part.

The resort decor was different. I posted on another thread that I was disappointed in the changes at some of the deluxes. However, if you didn't know what was supposed to be there you wouldn't miss it.

I found some of the nicest and friendliest cast members on this trip. They were smiling and so was I. I made a point to interact with them and they were happy. I prefer the 50% off photo pass purchase to the old free picture. I bought $60 worth of pictures off of my photo pass account and paid $30 - none from the party - but the code can be used on any photo pass purchase.

Oh well - different strokes.

mickaholic4077 said:
I too noticed fewer decorations at the resorts this year. As for the parks,with the esceptions of the entrances,you could hardly tell that it was Christmas.

This is how we felt. The three days that one son had his chess tournament, his brother and I went to see all the hotels. The Christmas decorations were less than two years ago.

I hope that everyone who was there and noticed the downgrading in decorations takes a minute or two to email WDW with their observations. Otherwise, they'll just continue to cut back more and more because they'll think no one notices!

DiznEeyore said:
I hope that everyone who was there and noticed the downgrading in decorations takes a minute or two to email WDW with their observations. Otherwise, they'll just continue to cut back more and more because they'll think no one notices!

I agree, I just posted this on another thread but everyone that is disappointed should write in and hopefully they will bring everything back next year

https://secure.disney.go.com/wdw/contact/contactUs

DiznEeyore said:
This was my third year in a row going in Dec. and I noticed how un-christmas like it was. :guilty: I think they were in a hurry and just threw stuff up, and you could really tell. In Nov. the wreaths were strung across main street, when I went back 2.5 weeks later they were GONE! :confused3 So, were they Un-decorating already? :sad2:

I have heard others mention that they skimped on decorations and things at other resorts. I didn't even know POLY was supposed to have a Christmas Village.

I think a few things changed for various reasons. Such as the pastry chief at the Polynesian changed jobs and the new one did not have time to do a Gingerbread village.

However I also think that these forums have a tendacy to microscope everything and then others fall to the power of suggestion.

The OP stated that until you read it here you did not know the Polynesian had a Christmas village.

Also I think some, not the OP, are just extremely critical of Disney right now. Possibly it is burn out on their part, over exposure, or just personal. Maybe a change of venue is in need.

I've seen quite a few photo's of Christmases past in WDW and it definitely wasn't as festive.. Photo's don't lie.. ;)

A few things...the wreaths across Main St. are back. Perhaps they had to remove them for parade taping? Don't know but they are most certainly there now. I have many photos of them from 12/7-13.
I think that Main St was decorated pretty much as it has been in the past. There isn't much decorating around the different 'lands' though...but we were told there never was any to speak of!
The resorts have cut back a bit. I think the gingerbread displays have been more 'involved' in the past. But, if you don't have anything to compare it with, it's fine.
As far as the various shows....yes, the Osborne Lights did start a bit earlier than the stated 6:00. But, it was dark enough for us. I found it to be as good as in years past. Loved the addition of the music to make the lights 'dance'...loved it!!
The 'Finding Nemo, the Musical' show? I have to say that I loved it. Nothing hurried about it for me. I actually wanted to go back and see it several more times. It was incredibly well-staged. A combination of the Little Mermaid and the Broadway "Lion King" shows. Nope, it was terrific. There were several people I was with that went to the show grudgingly and said afterwards that they were really glad they had gone to see it.

All in all....things have been cut back in WDW as far as Christmas decorations go. But, it's still magical for us. It's up to each of us to make our own magic sometimes. THere is no excuse for poor customer service by the CMs but for me, I didn't see any. All of my interactions with CMs, both in the parks and at the resorts, was terrific this trip.

mr brother in law just got back and stayed at pofq. he also said he wouldn't make the extra trip to see the xmas decorations as he also thought they were very skimpy. :confused3

I was thinking it way maybe to be more PC being that there are more and more anti-Christmas people in the world.

I read the other day on the Restaurant thread that posters are blaming DDP for the lack of decoration.....because they had to pull chefs off of decorating in order to feed the DDPers......CRAZINESS

clfnole said:
Just got back from our truip (12/14 to 12/17). We have gone 4 out of the past 5 years for the holidays and have always had a great time. We have stayed at WL (2x) and BWI. This year we tried POLY. While the hotel itself was nice and we got a good room in Tahiti with 2 sinks overall the hotel didn't get you into the X-Mas spirit.

In the parks I commented to my wife that the decorations appeared sparce in certain areas. I could be mistaken but it seemed like I remember it being more lush.

MVMCP used to give a family picture with admission and that was gone. At the Osbourne Family Lights it was supposed to start at 6:00. We were all getting ready at 5:30 (not dark yet) and I go to get a pretzel and they start the show. Really weak, last year they waited until it was dark, the street was packed the snow started and then the lights.

Also some of the castmembers were less than friendly this year.

As far as the rides go, they seemed to be having a good amount of technical difficulties as Big Thunder Mountain RR, Aerosmith R&R and Nemo Muscial closed for periods. The Nemo Ride and Musical are average at best and to me look like they rushed to get something new out rather than take their time and come up with something special. The ride is rather boring and the Little Mermaid show is better than the musical.

All in all we had a pretty good time but we are going to take at least a few years off and see if this trend continues.

And I thought it was just me who was thinking this way. :confused3 Glad someone else feels this way.

We also noticed that Epcot seemed to be especially dark at night - what happened to the great lighting? Is Disney trying to cut back on the power bill? :confused3 Also thanks for Disney's email address. I WILL email them.

I have nothing to compare it to, being my first December trip, but we just got back and I was really expecting a lot more in the way of Christmas decorations. I was expecting really extravagant over-the-top decorations everywhere, but I kept commenting on how I thought everything was really subdued. The only place that looked REALLY Christmassy (is that a word?) was Main Street in MK. I purposely looked for the Polynesian village featured on the Food Network special but couldn't find it anywhere. I've seen the other comments about the other resorts not having all their usual decorations up as well. We definitely had a great time, but I was definitely expecting more in the Christmas department.

Our first Christmas time trip was in 2004. We just returned on Friday, 12/15 and I have to agree, at the resorts the decorations were cut back. My usually un-aware 20 yr old DD stated many times "where are all the decorations"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter