• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it just throwing $$ away booking later on?

Mousemommy1

DIS Veteran
We are considering a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise for April 2016. Those rates have been out for awhile and I have watched them climb. We didn't book when they were released because we were unsure of our plans for next year, but now we are sure we want to do the cruise. I am planning on booking at the end of the month (as that's when we will have a nice down payment on it) but should I just give up and wait until April 2017? Summer is ruled out as the rates are so darn high.

Prices do increase on peak cruises and special cruises, but not all cruises increase all of the time.

I would say with DCL it is always best to book asap, but your not throwing money away if you delay.Its your decision.

With refundable deposits bar concierge there is nothing to loose booking bar the use of your money.

Now peak cruises in school leave times or major holidays will go up, so plan and if you can book, now but if its off peak then you may not have any increase for some time.

We always book early and then watch (OK stalk) the website for price drops. As long as you're not in a suite or past the final payment date, you really have nothing to lose.

Is $6700 insane to pay for a 7 night for a family of five?
really, the only person who can answer that would be you. some will say yes, some will say no. you may have the person who loves concierge say its a great price and then, on the other hand, the person who books inside say its way to much. and then what time of the year is this? are you still looking at april 2016? if its summer, not a bad price, if its halloween its a bit much. if you can afford it and you are comfortable with the price do it. if you feel it may be a bit much, shop around and see what you can get else where.
what ever you do, have a great trip.

really, the only person who can answer that would be you. some will say yes, some will say no. you may have the person who loves concierge say its a great price and then, on the other hand, the person who books inside say its way to much. and then what time of the year is this? are you still looking at april 2016? if its summer, not a bad price, if its halloween its a bit much. if you can afford it and you are comfortable with the price do it. if you feel it may be a bit much, shop around and see what you can get else where.
what ever you do, have a great trip.
Yeah, I know it's personal. We've just never cruised before and I don't know what prices are the norm. This would be end of April. Deluxe Oceanview family room with verandah.

Yeah, I know it's personal. We've just never cruised before and I don't know what prices are the norm. This would be end of April. Deluxe Oceanview family room with verandah.
the price is not out of line and for sure you will get your moneys worth. if your kids love disney, and it looks like they do, this will be great new adventure.
book it and have a great cruise. :earsboy:

Not sure what category you are looking at for $6700. You didn't specify a date, but I just looked at cruisefish at the last eastern on the Fantasy for April 2016. It already has categories that are sold out and every non-concierge category has increased $100-$200 each for the first two people since opening day in October 2014. They do not track 3rd, 4th or 5th passenger rates, but those most likely have increased as well. The last increase was February 25th. You can book now at the rate you are happy with or take a gamble with potential price increases by waiting until the end of this month.

Not sure what category you are looking at for $6700. You didn't specify a date, but I just looked at cruisefish at the last eastern on the Fantasy for April 2016. It already has categories that are sold out and every non-concierge category has increased $100-$200 each for the first two people since opening day in October 2014. They do not track 3rd, 4th or 5th passenger rates, but those most likely have increased as well. The last increase was February 25th. You can book now at the rate you are happy with or take a gamble with potential price increases by waiting until the end of this month.
It's the Eastern Caribbean on 4/23. I believe it was category 4C.

Lots of offseason cruises have discounts after the PIF date. GT, Military and Florida res rates have been plentiful. Trust me it is the only way I would have cruised 9 times in the last four years. Our cruise in Feb dropped 1700 over opening day prices. The cruise the last week of April also dropped considerably. All that being said every year is different. I would never pay 6700 for a Caribbean cruise when I know I can go for half that by being flexible, but we are a family of four. Since you are a family of five you may not have a choice. They never discount staterooms for five. You would need to book two rooms to get a discount.

Is $6700 insane to pay for a 7 night for a family of five?

That figure is a little more than we're paying for EACH of our two staterooms for a family of 6 in August this year for 7 nts on Fantasy, and we booked over a year in advance and only have cat 9a rooms. I think it's pretty good since you have a better cat. room. But maybe I'm misunderstanding? You have one room for 5 people?

That figure is a little more than we're paying for EACH of our two staterooms for a family of 6 in August this year for 7 nts on Fantasy, and we booked over a year in advance and only have cat 9a rooms. I think it's pretty good since you have a better cat. room. But maybe I'm misunderstanding? You have one room for 5 people?
Yes, one room for 5 people.

Based on the price increases on cruisefish, it is probably $400 to $600 more than you would have paid if you would have booked opening day. I don't know that I would let that stop me from booking. You never know what the price for spring 2017 will be, so you may be holding out for nothing.

Based on the price increases on cruisefish, it is probably $400 to $600 more than you would have paid if you would have booked opening day. I don't know that I would let that stop me from booking. You never know what the price for spring 2017 will be, so you may be holding out for nothing.

You make a very good point. I'm about at my breaking point with DCL and their prices. We are fortunate to be able to wait for the discounts otherwise I would jump to another line. Since OP has never cruised on DCL she may be better off cruising now then waiting another year. I think the higher prices are leading to more empty rooms and more last minute discounts, but it really doesn't help people that need to plan in advance.

You make a very good point. I'm about at my breaking point with DCL and their prices. We are fortunate to be able to wait for the discounts otherwise I would jump to another line. Since OP has never cruised on DCL she may be better off cruising now then waiting another year. I think the higher prices are leading to more empty rooms and more last minute discounts, but it really doesn't help people that need to plan in advance.
We haven't cruised ever, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter