Is it just me or. . .?

cleophus12

DIS Veteran
On a recent trip that included just DH and me, we made ADRs at California Grill (one of our favorites) and at the Yachtsman Steakhouse (1st time). We have eaten at the CG many times and have never had a window seat, although there really isn't a "bad" seat in the house. For our Yachtsman dinner we were seated against a wall with very little to look at other than each other. That was no big deal. However, when we came in there were other two tops available by the windows, and during the course of our meal people were seated there. A single lady was at one of those window tables, and I somewhat jokingly commented to my husband that I envied her seat. The next night at the CG we still did not get a window seat and there were some tables available when we walked in. Coincidentally, the same lady from the night before walked in and got one of those window seats. My DH walked over near her table to make a few pictures and told her we had seen her the night before. He asked her how she managed to get such good seats in two great restaurants. She laughed and said she had no idea. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they never get the good restaurant seats? We have been to WDW 30+ times and while we always enjoy our meals, we never get prime seating. I guess I am whining when I shouldn't be. I suppose I should just be glad to get in those restaurants at all. Should I be requesting those seats--is that even possible?

I am ALWAYS seated next to the bathroom or a server station LOL. Like, always. But I'm not shy about asking for a different table. If it's the only table open I don't complain, but in an empty restaurant you best believe I'm not going to take the seat next to the mens room.

I think a lot depends on what time you eat. I have small kids so we eat early and at that point, they're just giving tables to servers in order. But later in the night, it's more about open seats.

I guess that we are on the opposite end of this. We have seen illuminations from the Rose & Crown patio on 3 of 5 trips. Been sat by the window at CG on all of the trips we have had an ADR at CG (last 3 trips). We do go during our anniversary week most of the time which could have something to do with it. We always make sure that we wear our buttons and have that it is our anniversary attached to all of our ADR's. They tend to sprinkle a little bit of pixie dust on our trips. :)

On our trip in 16 days we arrive on my in-laws 34th wedding anniversary and we have an ADR at CG for 9 PM. On my DW and I's 6th anniversary day we'll be at Yachtsman for dinner. We'll see if the streak continues.. :)

I am going to make a presumption here (and people with restaurant backgrounds are welcome to refute it, and I will readily admit defeat if necessary), but I have always assumed that in restaurants where there are "better" seats than others (e.g., a window seat facing the Magic Kingdom at California Grille), servers will attempt to seat you in a "not so great" seat and make you ask for a better one...in which case, they'll happily give you the better one if available. That way, if you/I do not ask for the better seat, it remains available for someone else to ask, giving the restaurant more chances to be able to respond and make someone happy...assuming that if you don't ask, then perhaps you don't really care. We ate at Raglan Road one time for Sunday brunch, and when we arrived, we were seated in a back room behind a wall with no view whatsoever of the stage (e.g., band and dancers)...and there were more than plenty of tables available right smack in the middle of the main room in front of the stage. Seriously?! We had never eaten there and, frankly, were there much more for the entertainment than the food (although the food was good), as both daughters were dancers (and we were actually in Orlando that particular occasion for a dance competition). We requested a table in the main room and were immediately obliged and moved. Thoroughly enjoyed the band and the dancers and had a great experience, but was more than a little irritated that we had to ask. Maybe they wanted to fill the main room last, so walk-ins could see empty tables from the front door and come on in...maybe the hostess had just been dumped by a man with two daughters the same ages/sizes as mine (ha!)...maybe I smelled bad. Who knows?!

As someone who works in a Disney Restaurant, at the start of the shift the best tables are sat first because those are the best sections for the more senior servers, then throughout the course of the night tables without a good view are always tried to be sat first, because so many people try and ask for a different table with a better view.

Basically it balances out the number of tables for the servers. How would you feel if almost every table in your section tried to move to a window table outside your section? lol

As someone who works in a Disney Restaurant, at the start of the shift the best tables are sat first because those are the best sections for the more senior servers, then throughout the course of the night tables without a good view are always tried to be sat first, because so many people try and ask for a different table with a better view.

Basically it balances out the number of tables for the servers. How would you feel if almost every table in your section tried to move to a window table outside your section? lol

^This.
A CM friend of ours in the past told us to just ask politely about any specific seating and we've always gotten wherever we were hoping for. A simple, "if it's possible even if we have to wait a bit, could we please get a seat near the XXXX if possible?" This has consistently worked for us at CG, Coral Reef, R&C, San Angel and Artist Point.

But yeah, with the staff knowing that areas will be requested, to try and accomodate those requests, they seat those who don't ask in the least asked for sections (mind you, luck still involved as they have to seat the next server up in rotation)

Last edited:
I tend to pay more attention to the lovely lady across the table from me than the scenery. Must just be the old married fogey in me coming out again. pirate: Well, that and I do pay attention to the beer in front of me as well. Scenery comes in 3rd, until the steak comes that is.

I agree with this. It's not really about the make up of your party but how the servers need to handle the customers they have or will likely to have. While there might be that perfect table next to the window, your server might have five other tables nearby that were just seated so your service wouldn't be that great. So, you are put at a table where the server has less customers. While the view might be nice for the guest, the restaurant's first thought should be on ALL guests and giving ALL of them the correct service.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they never get the good restaurant seats?

1) It is not YOU.
2) The tables are done by the ASSIGNER.
3) They do not know who you are.
4) Tables are assigned by
. . . which tables are available for the diner count (eg. 2-people, 2-top table . . . 4-people, 4-top table)
. . . which SERVER is next in line for a table (in order to even-out tips among SERVERS)
. . . at some TS eateries, the assignment might be done by the podium person who is an ASSIGNER
5) So, you getting a bad table is just lick-of-the-draw

NOTE: The podium person (SEATER) can send a text to the ASSIGNER saying you prefer an "X" table. The ASSIGNER can try to match the request or ignore it. Once assigned, the SEATER must take you to that table. You can't just spot a table and ask for it as you walk by. The ASSIGNER must do the re-assigning.

I alway get great seats at WDW when I book under the name "Iger."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter