Is it just me? Disney road signs and Pop Century!

golden

Earning My Ears
Good grief. We had a great time, despite this drama, but I *really* could have done without this little, um, PITA.

I felt like a guest in the hotel for the unwashed and must be hidden away.

We had a rental and drove every day. I'm not kidding when I say, I think nearly every day, we got lost leaving every single park.
The only thing I can figure out is that Pop Century doesn't really belong to an area. I finally figured it out on the last day to just follow the signs to Wide World of Sports...when there were signs for such things.

Did anyone else have this issue or did the Florida sun just sap all my sense?

it was just sooo frustrating to be racing back to Pop with a kid for a nap, trying to keep him awake, only to find myself at the gates to Animal Kingdom or heading to freaking tampa!

No, you are so right! last year we stayed at POP and we could never find our way back, no signs for POP anywhere. We started following the signs for wide world of sports also. We drive every year and know the disney roads well, but the way to pop was a nightmare!!.

I feel your pain. CBR has a similar issue. Can't tell you how many late night detours we made through the epcot parking lot. "Look kids, Parliament! Big Ben!" CBR, like pop, is, or was at the time, considered an 'epcot area resort'. But if you follow signs to 'epcot Resort Area', you're at the swan/dolphin/YC/BC/BW, not exactly where you want to be.

I think the solution would be to classify CBR and POP as 'studios area resorts' and modify the signage accordingly. (though according to my 2008 propaganda, POP is now a 'wide world of sports area resort' and CBR is still with epcot.

GB

I could not find the POP either! I didn't pack a resort map and we were in our rental car trying to find the POP. DH kept saying "I thought you knew EVERYTHING about WDW!" Well I for sure did not know where POP was!

I think we'd look for EPCOT resorts everynight on our way back. Then we cuold figure it out. Very tricky though and the only sign seems to be right before you hit the actual resort. I never saw another sign for POP.

boy, sorry you all got lost.

don't even pay attention to the WDW signs anymore. Go the way that I know.

disney is lacking in resort signs period.

they almost expect you to know where you are going.

*LOL* Glad we aren't the only ones!

You don't know how many times we ended up at All Stars or AKL at 2:00 a.m.!

I don't think there's a sign for PC until you're on Buena Vista Boulevard and almost ready to turn onto Victory Way.

My friend's daughter drove last December and she kept asking for directions. I told her to follow the signs! *LOL*

We got lost all the time, that was the year we did a rental car. I believe that I would follow DTD signs, then turn at the Fire Dept. That was the only was that I could get there.

My dad drove up from Pompano Beach to visit us one time while we were at BWV. It's normally a 3 hr, or so, drive. It took him over 5! Why? Well, there were many more people on the roads since it was the day after Thanksgiving...then, he just couldn't find BWV! I told him it was an Epcot resort..hoped that would help. He would stop and ask for directions..twice he got sent to the Epcot parking lot!!! Then one time he ended up at MGM!! It took him almost 90 mins after reaching WDW to find us. I had to talk him in, literally, on the cell phone. He's mostly deaf, so my poor step-mother had to relay the directions!!!
The resorts are not very well marked.

Glad to know I'm not the only one - I think I drove in circles for over half an hour the first time I tried to find Pop. Like a PP, I watch out for the Fire Department building (with my luck, it will be moved to another location!).

In 06 we had trouble finding POP. Last year before our trip we purchased a GPS. We did not get lost once on our trip last August. I still have all the parks and several resorts listed under our favorites so we are ready for August to come!

You just brought back fond memories from my trip last year. I would consider everyone in my group to be WDW experts but not after our stay at POP. I think it took us 3 days until we realized we needed to follow the signs to the wide world of sports, and we still go lost :laughing:

I can finally find my way back from Magic Kingdon to POP, after many failed attempts that landed us on the highway and at the Animal Kingdon parking lot. My problem now is finding my way to POP when I leave Epcot. :confused:

I'm reading this thread and I'm thinking.....

We stayed at Pop two years in a row and drove to each park. We never got lost. Did I do something wrong?????!!!!!! :confused3

I just follow the signs to the Epcot Resort area and the CBR, and take the next driveway. Pop actually shares an Oleander hedge with the CBR.

Driving at Disney can mean going in a lot of circles. Plus once you see a sign, you better be in the correct lane as that exit will be right there.

We stayed there the first April that they opened and it took us forever to find the place. In the middle of the night, around 3 am, no road signs for the place anywhere, we wound up at the AS resorts thinking it would be close to them...no way, we got lost again. We finally found the place, the next morning when we went out to the park I was amazed to find it around the corner from CBR! DOH!

Thats why we use the buses! saves a few arguments in the car about someone going the wrong way! =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter