Is it just me? Crowds at the theme parks...

Let me pull up my rocker and join you on the old people porch. :goodvibes I completely agree and the shows that are marketed to kids and teens (yes Disney channel too) show some ridiculous behaviour. The kids are rude and smart mouthed to each other and adults and that junk is what we (I say we b/c my kids watch that junk too although I've been cutting it off more and more) are letting our children watch and eventually imitate.

Ironically regarding the NYC comment, we go to NYC for a week every summer and I don't see rude behaviour much there (mostly spend time in Brooklyn and Manhatten). It seems that it really stands out at WDW b/c the CM's are so friendly and it's a nice cheery place, when some one is poo pooing all over that with thier poor attitude it's like sticking flashing lights over them to draw attention to it.

Another rocking chair for your circle...

agree with you both...

and the adults on all these shows are always portrayed as complete buffoons (Suite Life, iCarly, Good Luck Charlie etc.). where have the Cliff and Clare Huxtables and Charles and Caroline Ingalls gone!!!!!!

People seem to feel more 'entitled' these days for some reason. Much of it might have to do with financial stress, but who knows. Sorry to hear about your experiences!

Ironically regarding the NYC comment, we go to NYC for a week every summer and I don't see rude behaviour much there (mostly spend time in Brooklyn and Manhatten). It seems that it really stands out at WDW b/c the CM's are so friendly and it's a nice cheery place, when some one is poo pooing all over that with thier poor attitude it's like sticking flashing lights over them to draw attention to it.

I grew up in a 'burb of NYC. I don't think people there are particularly rude, but outsiders might think they are, but I think that is because they tend to talk loud and are very straightforward. I had to adjust when I moved to Minnesota, because people here had a hard time with my honesty.

I also agree that Disney shows are among the worst offenders. The only one we let our son watch is Phinneas & Ferb, as that show doesn't have the rude and disrespectful behavior.

I hate to break it to everyone, but the lack of manners isn't contained to the younger generation. We moved a couple years ago to a town in FL with a VERY large retiree population, and it's become a running joke with me & my husband that none of them seem to know how to use or comprehend the words, "excuse me." :confused3 Baffling, I tell you.

It's a global phenommenon - and I will honestly admit that some of the most egregious "rude" behavior I have witessed at WDW is simply a clash of cultural norms of behavior.

That IS NOT to say that Americans aren't just as guilty of rude and selfish behavior - not even. Rudeness knows no international boundaries. It's just that some of the things I've seen that have been shocking or upsetting to family and friends in my group are things I've recognized from spending a number of years travelling around the world for my job.

Parades are a fine example - we typically know and claim "our" spots early. We chat and make friends with others waiting there, forming alliances for the (sadly) inevitable confrontations. And then, after the ropes are up and the parade route closed, along comes a family or two from - I presume - a place where shoving your children in front of mine, then standing in front of me while capturing the entire parade on video is not considered rude - it's just how you act in a crowd. Push, shove and jostle and you get the payoff of a better view.

I know that I sound xenophobic, but hey - it's a consistent observation. And I mention it simply because these people very often don't think they're being rude. WDW is an international destination, but it would be a better place if some visitors could better understand American expectations of acceptable and polite behavior. I often wonder if these people think we're all stupid for waiting for an hour for the spot they're going to squeeze into at the last minute.

And yes, I do insist they move. And they usually do, but sometimes only after feigning confusion and ignorance.

It's a global village, people. Get used to it...

I often wonder if these people think we're all stupid for waiting for an hour for the spot they're going to squeeze into at the last minute.

I know you weren't trying to be funny, but this cracked me up! :laughing: Never thought of it that way before, but you are probably right!

Thanks for everybody's responses, and thanks SO much for all the warm welcomes! I am going to make a POINT to say "thank you" "please" "you're welcome" "excuse me" and "I'm sorry" as much as possible from now on, just to make a point! Hey, I'm at the theme parks so often that maybe it'll actually make a difference. :goodvibes

Thanks again for assuring me that I'm not crazy, everybody! LOVED the discussion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter