• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it imperative to stay on property from now on for 1st dibs on fp's?

Is it imperative that you stay on property now that FP+ are in such high demand at 60 days out?

• Total voters

AliceinMaryland

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are at odds over whether or not we need to stay on property for our trip next year. I feel like we might be ok off property and have a good chance for the FP's we want but he says that getting a FP to the new Frozen ride is going to be hell if we don't stay on property and get first dibs at the 60 day out mark.

I remember a year ago when I was picking out our FP's to meet A&E and for SDMT, I was lucky to get them for exactly when I wanted but I remember reading there were lots of people who were going around the same time as me and they weren't so lucky. My daughter lovessssss Frozen and from what I've read about what's coming, this will be amazing for her and I want to make sure she can see it.

From a planning and getting your correct FP's when you want them standpoint, do you feel like for your family, it's absolutely necessary to stay on property now a days?

When I say it out loud(or type it LOL), it seems really wacky to have this be the reason we stay on site(for the 60 day out option to make FP ressies), but maybe other's do it for that reason too. Don't get me wrong, we loved staying on site for many reasons but there is a big difference in price for on site vs. off property and that savings is swaying me to stay offsite, atleast for this next trip. I will stay at a monorail resort at least once in my life. #lifegoals LOL

Also: For those of you voting Depends, could you please comment about what it depends on. Thanks!

Last edited:
I voted for depends. After staying both off Site and On, we have decided On Site is the only way to go for us. But the 60 day FP+ is a complete non factor for us staying On Site. Our last couple trips we took 2-3 days and didn't make any FP+ or Dining reservations. On those days we went to the bus stop at our resort and hopped on the first bus that showed up and that was our park for the day. Those days ended up being the best days of our trip due to the fact that we were all so laid back and relaxed not thinking about what time it was. We were able to stop and smell the roses so to speak and do whatever we wanted. If there was something we really wanted to do at that park, it was the first thing we did and never waited more than 15 minutes. And we were able to get same day FP+ for other headliners while in the park. Granted, later in the day but we still got them.

Our next trip in October 2016, we are going to do that for the entire 9 days, no FP+ or Dining reservations.

I would go with 'Depends' We've done offsite and been able to get A&E and 7DMT with no issues at 30 days.

Going in November, staying on site and was on line proper time. Got 7DMT but no And E or. Peter Pan.

If hard-to-get FP+ are what you are after, then, yes, I would stay onsite. I think you are right that the FP+ for the new Frozen attraction in EP are going to be hard to get, so I think if your goal is to experience it with little wait, staying onsite is probably your best bet. Or, possibly, doing a pre-park breakfast at Akershus.

I think there will be huge demand for very limited spots at Animal Kingdom for the night time Safari and Rivers of Light show. They could end up being fastpass only events like Fantasmic in DL.

I am very much looking forward to the new DAK upgrades. I wouldn't want to be shut out.

Technically speaking, for "first dibs" yes, being on property is a must. Whether or not that will have any practical affect depends on the variables mentioned in previous posts. Good luck! :earsboy:

I think there will be huge demand for very limited spots at Animal Kingdom for the night time Safari and Rivers of Light show. They could end up being fastpass only events like Fantasmic in DL.

I am very much looking forward to the new DAK upgrades. I wouldn't want to be shut out.

I voted for depends, but I think it will be necessary when the new attractions open. Especially Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney offers a dinner package for the Rivers of Light, so I suppose people could get around needing a FP for it.

I voted for depends, but I think it will be necessary when the new attractions open. Especially Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney offers a dinner package for the Rivers of Light, so I suppose people could get around needing a FP for it.
Dinner and a show for me too!

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney offers a dinner package for the Rivers of Light, so I suppose people could get around needing a FP for it.

I hadn't thought about that... That would be awesome and something I'd definitely do!

When are you planning on going? I think Froway is going to be crazy.

You want to hear crazy. I am planning a trip for early June for Star Wars Weekends next year, assuming it happens. If it doesn't happen, I thought maybe we could got during Spring Break for Season of the Force. Then I just realized that it's around the corner. We just started school, and I am already worrying about Spring Break:sad2: That's what Disney planning does to you.

When are you planning on going? I think Froway is going to be crazy.

You want to hear crazy. I am planning a trip for early June for Star Wars Weekends next year, assuming it happens. If it doesn't happen, I thought maybe we could got during Spring Break for Season of the Force. Then I just realized that it's around the corner. We just started school, and I am already worrying about Spring Break:sad2: That's what Disney planning does to you.
We are planning for Sept/Oct 2016 OR Jan/Feb 2017.

Thanks for the votes and everyone!

It certainly gives you 30 more days to try but since your 60 days is always in the middle of someone one else's 60 days you're going to be in the hole either way. Those extra 30 days could make a difference especially as people hit the 45 day window. Your odds of finding something increases but there are no guarantees either way at this point.

I'm going with depends. The past several years, I've gone solo and have had no trouble getting FP's even a few weeks before my trip since I'm only trying for one at a time. It also would depend on the types of attractions you're interested in; if Anna/Elsa is a must-do, you probably won't find it 30 days out. I stay onsite more for the EMH and airport transfers than anything else, although the Four Seasons is mighty tempting!

We are planning for Sept/Oct 2016 OR Jan/Feb 2017.

Thanks for the votes and everyone!

It may not be quite as critical at those times. I have not been before at those times, but they are definitely lower crowds than Spring Break or Summer, barring holidays. If you could try Froway at rope drop/attraction opening time, since we don't know exactly what time they will open it, or during Illuminations, you have a chance. Even staying onsite, getting FP+ for popular things isn't always guaranteed. I have never had issues, but I get on right at midnight every time. Good luck.

I voted "no", only because at the moment, people are discovering that for a handful of attractions there is no guarantee that you can get what you want 60 days out. And for everything else, it seems like there is plenty of availability inside 30 days. If the main reason for staying on-site is FP+ for a handful of rides, you need to decide is it worth it to pay additional $X for that privilege, especially knowing that you might not even be able to get those FPs.

We always stayed on-site, it used to be primarily for EMH privileges. Now we rarely do EMH, but continue staying on-site for the atmosphere/convenience/Disney feel of the resorts. But if we were planning a trip right now, I would definitely scope out the cost savings of staying off-site. For us personally, we've done 7DMT and don't care about A&E, so it's not the end of the world if we don't get a FP for it, can easily ride 7DMT at rope drop or park close.

Like previous poster said, your plans are for slower times, so it's less likely that FPs will be gobbled up 60 days out. But who knows what the new Frozen ride will be like. Have they released an expected opening date besides "2016"? How will it fit in with the tiers at Epcot? Will the FPs be gone by 12:05am 60 days out? It's difficult to plan if you don't know what it's going to be like.

We go over spring break, and are constantly changing what we want to do. Like, the day of! Morning of.
We never have a hard time finding what we want.
Even if you have your heart set on something, it may be available the following day.

I don't think it's necessary if you go at an off-season time. I went February of this year and I was able to get most FP+ reservations I wanted 30 days out. Next year I am going in January and I am not too concerned about it.

Once the new Frozen ride and Star Wars area opens, then yes I am sure those will all be gone at 60 days, if you can get them at all.

We're staying on site. When the FP window opened up for us, I go on to reserve our FPes at 9 am. Was able to get 7DMT and Soarin' and TSM. Was not able to get A&E or any of the parades.

But, it probably depends on time of year. We're going the last week in Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter