Is it horrible for a teacher to pop in a movie???

Both of my children are in a Montessori school. I can not believe how much work goes into this type of educational theory. Applause & thanks to you -- what you are doing makes a difference in the lives of all of your students. It made a HUGE difference in the life of DS.

Thanks, that's so good to hear! Sometimes I am amazed how much gets done in one day in our classroom! The kids are all coming to me asking "What can I do next?" and "Can you give me a lesson?" Montessori is an amazing philosophy and I don't think I could ever teach in a non-Montessori school now that I have been doing this for 7 years.

Marsha

Just an idea, for fellow teachers. I do united streaming. I get it on a link to SCETV. You can use your grade level curriculum standards to steam a program on your computer to show the students that goes with what you are studying in the classroom.

I have done a few and burned them on a disc to show during science, ex life cycle of the butterfly. If you type that in---you get many choices, even a Magic School Bus. We are allowed to use this form of technology in the classroom. This month for Black History, I will use streamline to enhance my lesson on Harriet Tubman.

I hope this is helpful to fellow teachers. If it has been mentioned before, I'm sorry as I haven't read all the posts. I will go back and read them now.

Teachers rock! :cheer2: Teachers are professional, love what they do, and have to do more than most people should have to do at one given moment. I will miss teaching in a few months, :sad1: but I will really appreciate being able to go to the bathroom when I need without waiting until 2:30!!!!!

We eat lunch with the students after helping them in the lunch line, get up before they do to help with cleaning the table and returning the trays. I do enjoy the children's company at lunch, but I wouldn't call it a break. This is completed in 20 minutes from walking in the lunchroom to leaving out the door for 20 minutes of recess supervision.

We are allowed to use this form of technology in the classroom. This month for Black History, I will use streamline to enhance my lesson on Harriet Tubman.

:) these are the "videos" i would prefer to see in the classroom. not fluff.

My daughter's 3rd grade teacher is great at rewards - very creative. I love her ideas for individual rewards. They get to pick from a jar and they get a slip of paper that has a reward on it. Examples - wear no shoes in class, eat lunch with the teacher, eat at a different teachers table (so they can eat with a friend in a different class), chew gum, write an assignment in print instead of cursive., and so on. She also does class rewards like extra computer time, bring a game to class.... and yes - popcorn and a movie. They have to earn it though. She is one of the best teachers I have come across and the kids love her. She has them working very hard and they definitely have to earn their rewards!

I think that it's healthy that teachers and students get unscheduled down time once in a while. It is harmless and probably makes the students more receptive to learn.

Those of you parents who say that you would complain are being unreasonable. I interview applicants to Yale and meet many high school students whose lives are FAR MORE stressful than the lives of most adults. What concerns and saddens me most is that many of these kids are taking on enourmous responsibilities and academic pressures beginning in Jr. High. And it's not just the kids with Ivy League dreams who are putting themselves through the wringer.

Now when I was in elementary school, my mother used to get angry when I would get pulled out of class with a handful of my peers to work in the cafeteria. It was fun, but in retrospect it was not good to miss a few hours of class time and serve as free labor.

It seems like people are complaining that teachers can take these lovely breaks during the day when the decide to pop on a video. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I've never met a teacher who actually STOPS working during the movie. It's not like we put our feet up on the desk and munch popcorn.

We're still responsible for your children during that time. We're still supervising their behavior. And during the movie time we're usually trying to finish filing reports for the principal, rearranging the class library, checking to see if all the students turned in last night's homework, complete the hundreds of other secretarial tasks we're reponsible for in addition to talking to your child. The only thing that actually stops during the movie time is the constant discussion between the teacher and her 30 students...but rest assured work is still being done.

So I for one have no problem with the occasional fluff movie. I show them myself on Halloween, the last day before Christmas, and the during last week of school. In the past I've used them as rewards for homework or behavior.

My goodness Daisy Chick, the op asked for opinions. I didnt realize all those responding to her had entered a debate with you. Why must you debate other's opinions? Are people not each entitled to their own without you coming in and debating it?

Turn on the closed captioning and turn off the volume. Viola, instant reading lesson. Also a lesson on how people with hearing loss deal with not being able to hear the tv.

I just remembered when I used to show a LOT of fluff movies. When I was a sub in the inner city I had a movie in my bag at all times. And I'm not talking disney either. I used to carry the latest PG rated new releases from Blockbuster.

I found that when I was subbing (essentially in high school) that teachers didn't leave lesson plans and said you had a "study hall". Unfortunately, the population of students I dealt with didn't usually stick around for study hall. As soon as they saw a sub in the room they would try to cut class.

It was my job as the sub to keep them in the building, quiet so they didn't disturb other classes and to not give them the opportunity to engage in fights or other disruptive behavior. A Blockbuster video was my best friend during those times. I found that as sub, I got called back quite frequently!

We're still responsible for your children during that time. We're still supervising their behavior. And during the movie time we're usually trying to finish filing reports for the principal, rearranging the class library, checking to see if all the students turned in last night's homework, complete the hundreds of other secretarial tasks

you would put on a fluff movie so organize a bookshelf?:eek: most (if not all) of the tasks you listed shouldn't be done during instructional time. can't that wait until they go home at like 2:30? :confused3

you would put on a fluff movie so organize a bookshelf?:eek: most (if not all) of the tasks you listed shouldn't be done during instructional time. can't that wait until they go home at like 2:30? :confused3

Nope, I'd put in a fluff movie to reward students for behavior, homework, or during a class party. :rolleyes:

My point was, I'd be working during the movie.

Ummm - I thought you were the one questioning why teachers have to spend "hours" after school getting stuff done? If I never worked on any "housekeeping" type of projects during the day when my students were otherwise engaged I'd be at school until 9pm every night!

I invite anyone so bent out of shape about a teacher showing ONE thirty minute fluff video during a whole school year to come and take my job - you'd obviously be much better at it than I am! :rotfl:

I don't teach, but I've had experience with volunteering in the classroom. Feel guilty about showing a movie - absolutely not! So much information needs to be taught these days and academic schedules are often tight - just every once in awhile teachers and students need a break! Even with "non-educational" videos students can learn something. The lesson can be to relax and not take life too seriously!;)

As a mom of 3 who values my kids education, I have no problem with the occasional movie here either. I am shocked, although shouldn't be, that this even became a heated debate. :confused3

If I never worked on any "housekeeping" type of projects during the day when my students were otherwise engaged I'd be at school until 9pm every night!

until 9 every night? really? there's a problem if you have THAT much "housekeeping" . :confused3 the kids do leave at 3:00 or before, don't they?

until 9 every night? really? there's a problem if you have THAT much "housekeeping" . :confused3 the kids do leave at 3:00 or before, don't they?

I'd include lesson plans, organizing paperwork from that day and for the next day, making copies, gathering resources, updating grades, recording and copying data for my assessment, core content, and writing portfolio binders, answering and sending email, listening to voicemail and contacting parents, . . . really, I could go on . . . as "housekeeping." That doesn't include extra-curricular projects I work on for the kids (spirit club, Teen Age Republicans/Young Democrats, student council, and class committee) or papers I take home to grade or just read to keep up with student progress. So yes, if I was actually able to get everything I really needed to get done in one day done I would work until 9 every night. I leave school every day knowing that I have worked my butt off almost every minute of the day and I still have a ton of things I could be doing. And I teach high school kids - so I have a lot more time during the day to get things done than an elementary teacher. I can't imagine how a kindergarten teacher even gets time to breathe during the day.

Oh - my kids are supposed to leave at 3:05 but by the time the 2nd bus bell rings it's usually more like 3:20 or so.

Everyone has a tough job and no one can truly understand what anyone else's day is like unless you experince it yourself. I know that people in all kinds of professions feel like their work is never done. I just get agitated that everyone seems to think they're an expert on teaching because most everyone has been to school. Unless you've done it you have no idea!

3:40 at my school.

And I can't stay after & work in my room.
My room gets used for after school activities like Hands on Science, Girl Scouts, & some math enrichment class that I don't even know the name of.

I really don't want to get into this debate too deeply but those teachers who have no breaks really need to move to a strong union state! Our teachers do no lunch duty so there is 40 minutes a day, do no recess duty another 40 minutes a day. during the week the kids go to music twice for 30 minutes each, phys.ed for 30 minutes 2x a week. art for 40 minutes, Library have to be there but not responsible for any teaching, same for guidance once a week. So let's add that up they are in at 7:30 - 3:30 = 8 hrs subtract the 80 minutes lunch and recess, The 24 minutes per day for specials(ave. for week) we won't even add the 2 thirty minutes they aren't responsible for teaching per week for Lib & guidance. That leaves actual teaching time of 6hrs and 16 minutes approx. Not bad. This is at the Elem. level. I don't mind an Educational show or movie and even an occasional treat but say what it is because in at least my state it isn't because they haven't had a break. And another thought if it is so terrible why again in this area are there at least 50 if not more qualified applicants for each job posted? There sure aren't 50 qualified RN's or Pharmacists for each job opening.

Oh and for evening conferences they get a day off and for writing report cards they get a day without the students.

Deleting-- When I first read, I didn't see the last page of posts. I was responding to something said two pages up, and it's already been discussed.

I just want to say--Comparing teaching to other jobs, and how they can't pop in a video for a half hour isn't fair. I taught AP seniors as well as regular classes. Maybe you can't pop in a movie for a half hour, but do you come home with 5 hours of work, creating tests and exams (if you do, you are probably compensated with a decent salary-- my salary in an urban high school was so low that I made just $100 more than it would have cost to put two children in daycare). Grading projects and essays, Getting grades finished for report cards (there were nights I never went to sleep because I had so much to do). On Saturdays, I had to take my mock trial team downtown for their competitions, plus spent many nights and Saturdays at school with them while they were preparing for their competitions --- not compensated. In the 2 months of summer that we have "off" I was sent to week long training sessions out of state to get training for the Advanced Placement class I taught (uncompensated), I spent many many days getting my classroom ready, making up unit plans, researching, taking graduate classes that I had to pay for to keep my certificate active. Believe me, I didn't feel bad every now and then, ending a lesson on filibustering showing a 40 minute West Wing episode about a filibuster. It was good for the kids, and I was able to get a little grading done. OP--Don't let some of the comments get you down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter