Is it horrible for a teacher to pop in a movie???

:thumbsup2

i agree. i don't even like the "movie once a week/month as a reward for good behavior" excuse. if it's a kid's movie, they've probably all seen it before anyway. :confused3 pick another reward/incentive for good behavior that doesn't take up so much instructional time.

OK, how about food? That's right - we can't because of allergies and nutrition issues. Small toys? Then parents will complain (probably not to the teacher's face) that the kids are getting junk that just takes up space. Any other ideas? My kids can only stand so many cutesy pencils... ;)

Let me start by saying that I didn't read every post, but I think I read enough to get the gist of what's being said.

I am an elementary teacher. We do watch movies from time to time. Usually content related, sometimes just for fun like at Christmas or the end of the year. Usually not more than 30 or 40 minutes.

I don't know if this point was made, but in my area the winter months are often very cold. We are not permitted to go out to recess if the temperature or wind chill is below 20 degrees. Right now, that has been the last week and will for sure be next week too. That's two weeks that the kids haven't had recess. We don't have any place for the kids to go during indoor recess so a movie is often the best choice to occupy those indoor recess minutes. Teachers stay with their classes during recess. The movie is on. They can choose to watch it, play games quietly, read or draw.

Oh, and it isn't really unusual that a teacher would have to grade papers for hours EVERY night or at least every other night.

OK, how about food? That's right - we can't because of allergies and nutrition issues. Small toys? Then parents will complain (probably not to the teacher's face) that the kids are getting junk that just takes up space. Any other ideas?

oh i'm sure you could think of something better than a cartoon if you tried really, really hard. :thumbsup2

A break is when you get to put your feet up, maybe have a snack, and have some time alone. What I did after sticking in the movie was go straight to my desk where I proceeded to finalize grade cards for my 95 students. I also had to grade the same number of final exams and webquests that were assigned.

If I had to bet, I'd say that the OP probably did some school related work while the movie was on. I could be wrong, but I bet she wasn't reclining on a sofa eating bonbons either.

I do agree that if that's the norm rather than the exception, I'd be a little perturbed with the teacher, but if the teacher is known as someone who doesn't waste time with "fluff", then I think a little break now and then is good for teacher and students.

Lori P. :)

OP here.

I just have a few things to say and then I will bow out, because this thread has gotten more heated/controversial than I would ever have imagined. And, I tend to stay away from the debate threads here on the Disboards.

Of course, I was working when the kids were watching Arthur. I was getting assessment scores online, as mandated by my school district.

Yes, I know that lots of people work long hours, as do I. I got a call last night from a parent at 9:30pm. All of my parents have my home phone number. I am going to school tomorrow, on a Saturday, to work on my classroom. (My class is a warm and welcoming space. My kids feel it, they like being there). I work very hard, harder than I ever worked in corporate America.

Having said that, I will not get into a debate regarding how hard teachers work. That's just beating a dead horse. You either know or you don't.

I am a good teacher. I care for my kids a great deal and they know it. My parents compliment me all the time, as do other teachers in the school. The kids spend 99% of their time learning. For those of you who will judge me by that 1% fraction of time, I suppose that is your choice. However, I would hesitate to paint the world as so black and white. If you think that a 30 minute video once or twice a year is the difference between an excellent teacher and a horrible one, then nobody is going to change your mind.

Thanks to all of those who expressed their opinions kindly, without personal attacks - both for and against.

Have a nice evening, everyone. :thumbsup2

I work with 3-6 year olds in a Montessori classroom. We don't get a lunch break, or planning time.I guess technically I could take a lunch break during naptime, but then I would have to spend extra time at home making up for things I could have done during that time. Any "free" time we get is spent getting lesson plans ready, making materials, making copies, calling/emailing parents, etc. There is not enough time in the day to do all we need to do. We have 15 minutes without children before school and 15 minutes after school.

Every Friday, we have a "fun day". It's the day we have our music class, and the kids are allowed to do anything they like in the classroom(not just academic work). After naptime, we have a special snack and either go outside for an extra recess or if it's cool or rainy, we watch a video. I don't know that anything we've watched this year has been "academic". Last week, we watched a Ringling Bros. circus video(we are going to the circus next week) and today we watched Dr. Seuss books on video. We have watched Arthur, Blue's Clues, Ready, Set, Learn, and even GASP! Frosty the Snowman. All our parents know that we have Friday fun day and they are fine with a video being shown on the Fridays when there is inclimate weather.

Our kids work very hard all week. All our kindergartners are reading and doing math above grade level. Most of our 4 year olds are reading as well(and even one 3 year old) We(teachers and kids) bust our butts all week, and I see our Friday fun day as a reward for a job well done.

Marsha

oh i'm sure you could think of something better than a cartoon if you tried really, really hard. :thumbsup2

extra recess? Nope, too cold this time of year. Stickers? Not motivating past about 1st-2nd grade.

My guess is you couldn't think of one either. :thumbsup2

A movie doesn't cost the teacher anything. The pencils, stickers, treats all involve cost as well as the problems mentioned earlier.

for HOURS every night, though?
:confused3

i'm glad you like your job and weren't complaining about the hours, though. :) i'd hate to see a bunch of kids stuck in a little room all day with someone who hated working with them.

I think you missed part of her post. She also mentioned lesson plans, copying, and other stuff. You would be amazed how long grading can take especially at a higher level. I have 150 high school students. If I am grading essays or projects it can take a half hour to grade one correctly. So yes, it can take hours.

I have to say your post sounded really rude. Maybe it wasn't meant that way. I am different from hockeymom. I love my job but unlike her, I hate the hours. That doesn't mean I hate working with my kids. I am at work by 6:30 and usually don't leave until after 4:30 and then do work at home. Why? Because kids need help and they are in sports and band and theater, etc. I work around their schedules. I have been home for a half hour and have already answered 2 student emails who were gone on a field trip and wanted to ask questions about what they missed. I choose to spend my planning period with a student whose mother is dying and can't do homework after school because he is at the hospital. That means more work for me after school. I do this because I love my kids but I still hate the hours. Oh, let's not forget the games and plays and concerts many teachers also go to at night to support our students.

I work with 3-6 year olds in a Montessori classroom. We don't get a lunch break, or planning time.I guess technically I could take a lunch break during naptime, but then I would have to spend extra time at home making up for things I could have done during that time. Any "free" time we get is spent getting lesson plans ready, making materials, making copies, calling/emailing parents, etc. There is not enough time in the day to do all we need to do. We have 15 minutes without children before school and 15 minutes after school.

Every Friday, we have a "fun day". It's the day we have our music class, and the kids are allowed to do anything they like in the classroom(not just academic work). After naptime, we have a special snack and either go outside for an extra recess or if it's cool or rainy, we watch a video. I don't know that anything we've watched this year has been "academic". Last week, we watched a Ringling Bros. circus video(we are going to the circus next week) and today we watched Dr. Seuss books on video. We have watched Arthur, Blue's Clues, Ready, Set, Learn, and even GASP! Frosty the Snowman. All our parents know that we have Friday fun day and they are fine with a video being shown on the Fridays when there is inclimate weather.

Our kids work very hard all week. All our kindergartners are reading and doing math above grade level. Most of our 4 year olds are reading as well(and even one 3 year old) We(teachers and kids) bust our butts all week, and I see our Friday fun day as a reward for a job well done.

Marsha

Both of my children are in a Montessori school. I can not believe how much work goes into this type of educational theory. Applause & thanks to you -- what you are doing makes a difference in the lives of all of your students. It made a HUGE difference in the life of DS.

I asked you first! :teeth: I'm always open to new ideas - let's hear 'em!
A game. Quizmo for little ones, Jeopardy for the older set. The winner gets a book (and the honor of winning a game that took brains to win.)

Everyone gets a break from the routine day, and does something that is different and fun, while slightly educational.

I can see that once a month. :)

A game. Quizmo for little ones, Jeopardy for the older set. The winner gets a book (and the honor of winning a game that took brains to win.)

Everyone gets a break from the routine day, and does something that is different and fun, while slightly educational.

I play BrainQuest with my class often when we have a few free minutes here and there. But as with any reward, it gets old fast. So, while a good idea, variety is needed.

While it is a great idea, most teachers avoid the whole competition thing if they can because someone always ends up feeling cheated, slighted, or somehow less. That isn't the worst part though. Then the parents start calling and it can get ugly.

I love the idea, but competition is such a touchy thing right now. Heck, most of the teachers I know don't even play "Around the World" flashcard games anymore. No more charts of how many books read, or A papers on the wall.

)All our parents know that we have Friday fun day and they are fine with a video being shown on the Fridays when there is inclimate weather.
Did you, by any chance, mean "inclement" weather?

HA HA HA....are you seriously asking this?! I did it all the time! Well, not ALL the time...but sometimes I needed a break! Especially when report cards were due or Permanent Records! GEEZE don't be so hard on yourself! If you are working your hardest during the week and need some R&R, TAKE IT! No body knows how hard teaching can be unless you ARE ONE!

Enjoy the weekend!

BB

I'm a high school teacher, and we do not watch "fluff" movies or "seasonal" movies in class. We have to have approval for content-appropriate videos! Why? Because so many people thought that kids "needed a break", and the kids were getting too many "breaks".

Furthermore, showing a non-approved video can be grounds for discipline. Why? Because if an inappropriate video is shown (R rating, copywrite problems) the school and the teacher personally can be sued for huge amounts of money. It's seriously NOT worth a break.

Kids are in my class 90 minutes x 90 days, and I have a great deal of curriculum to squeeze in -- no time for "fluff". My students are 17-18 years old; they should be able to do six hours of schoolwork without too much trouble; after all, they're going to be moving into full-time jobs soon, which'll be 25% more per day.

We schedule "movement" into the classroom day (i.e., midway through class we'll get the students up to retrieve grammar books from a shelf, or they'll move into groups), and that few minutes makes a big difference in attention spans. We also alternate lectures and other "heavy stuff" with quick review games or content-related puzzles. Kids have variety, and that -- not breaks -- is what they need.

Finally, showing videos OFTEN backfires: we hear LOTS of "I've already seen this", and if kids know ahead of time that we're going to be watching a video a good number of them will choose not to attend that day.

As a parent, I subscribe to the "if you're going to watch a funsie-movie, just let me pick my kid up early" theory. My kids get breaks at home -- they go to school to learn.

I play BrainQuest with my class often when we have a few free minutes here and there. But as with any reward, it gets old fast. So, while a good idea, variety is needed.
Gets old for whom? There are tons and tons of semi-educational games teachers can play with students. If you're a teacher, you should see these advertised in magazines and supply stores, etc.

Are you seriously arguing that if parents don't tell the teachers how to take a semi-educational break that the schools have no recourse but to implement Classroom Cartoons?

We also alternate lectures and other "heavy stuff" with quick review games or content-related puzzles. Kids have variety, and that -- not breaks -- is what they need.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 can you come teach at my kids' school?

While it is a great idea, most teachers avoid the whole competition thing if they can because someone always ends up feeling cheated, slighted, or somehow less. That isn't the worst part though. Then the parents start calling and it can get ugly.

I love the idea, but competition is such a touchy thing right now. Heck, most of the teachers I know don't even play "Around the World" flashcard games anymore. No more charts of how many books read, or A papers on the wall.
Oh, my word. If a classroom isn't the appropriate place to herald and reward excellent work, I don't know that the place exists. I think that is kind of sad. I don't mean that in the phony way...kind of like the passing of an era. And moving into something worse.

If you can't play educational games or focus on scholastic success, I suppose you might as well show cartoons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter