Is it considered weird to wear a tshirt in the pool?

I have this really weird question.

My son has a huge scar down the front of his chest from surgery that he's really self conscious about. It doesn't bother me, but it bothers him. It seems to bother him more now that he's a teen. He says people always stare at it

I was hoping if the weather was good on our Nov trip that he'd go swimming, but he said not unless he can wear a tshirt.

Is it weird for a guy to wear a tshirt in the pool?

I get burned easily and I started wearing a shirt when I was about 6 or 7. I wouldn't at night. But that is just me.

My kids love their rash guards, they are totally "cool" and they protect from sunburns. To top it off, this time of year stores are practically giving them away :)

Another big rash guard fan!

Both of my sons wear them all summer, every summer. One of which is a teenager. Both are fair so, they are great for helping to prevent sunburn.

I think one would be perfect for what your son is insecure of. My husband has a very large scar from his collarbone straight down past his belly button from surgery as a newborn. He still (at 40) is very insecure about it. He always wears a T at the beach and in the pool. Rash guards are too clingy for him so, he won't wear them. I am going to jump on everyone's suggestions and run to get him one of the Under Armor lightweight shirts before we leave for WDW on Saturday. I think that would work great!

Thanks for that tip pp's!:thumbsup2

I'm an old geezer (46) and wear a swim shirt. It's not that I'm ashamed my six pack abs are now the whole keg, but that I'll burn alive swimming in a pool with the sun beating down on me.

After this last trip last week I now realize I have to do something about the dome on top of my head. Geez, I got a nice sunburn where I once had hair. :lmao:

Go with the rash guards. Cotton would drive me crazy. My boys and I love ours and it is not optional. Of course, we also live in the valley of the sun.

My lilly white two year old DS wears them too. I'm hoping he continues into his teen years wearing them so no sunburn. Actually, I think they are pretty cool looking - surfer dude like, KWIM?

I'm going to move this to our resort board, since that's where the pools are.

:thumbsup2 That isn't weird at all other people also wear a t shirt, he will be fine

Another vote for Land End Rashguards here.

My girls don't wear them anymore, but when they were younger, they never went to the beach without them. They are safer than cotton shirts because they dont grow when they get wet.

Land's End has boys in blue, green or dark brown for $13. They are good for ever. So if they fade or stretch, you just call Lands End and BOOM, you have a new one.

Our DS has a concave chest - a bit less concave as he grows older and fills outa bit - but still concave.

He does not wear a tight fiting t-shirtsl, but does wear a plain loose fitting cotton old t-shirt in the pool.

The t-shirt is fine when you go down the pool slide or jumping into the pool.
When you hang out in the pool water it hardly shows and is not noticed.

For what ever reason a person, male or female, wants to wear a t-shirt in the pool is fine.

Just make sure the t-shirt has been washed atleast one time - so no color is leaked into the pool:scared1: I would also recommend a t-shirt without a stiff collor, no emblems on it, no rude words or symbols, and one you do not mind getting a bit bleached from the sun and clorine.

I dont think it would be. Also maybe you can find him a swim shirt. About two years ago i bought both of my daughters a swim t-shirt & bathing suit set. The shirt is very snug to the body and actually offers sun protection. Luckily i am on my 3rd year with them wearing the sets. I just looked on e-bay and there are tons of them. Here is the link: if you have trouble just do a search under ''SWIM SHIRT"

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkpar...+swim+shirt&_dmd=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_vc=1

FWIW, DS15 finds the "real" swim shirts to be uncomfortable as they fit pretty tight and are thicker. My nephew also has problems with getting chafed with that type of material. That is why they like the dri-weave ones better. OP, you might want to get one of both types and see which one he prefers.

BTW, at the water park, about 1/3 of the men/boys were wearing some type of shirt in the pools and on the slides.

Marsha

............... I wear a UV shirt in our local pool all the time, as do several other gentlemen. ..................

Same here. I've beat melanoma and am constantly fighting basil cell cancer. I even wear a straw hat in the pool, although most days I wait till almost sun set to jump in our pool.

Another brand of swim shirts to look at is Speedo - we have been pretty lucky using their website for specials

DH is self conscious about his um I don't know how to put this nicely so I'll just say he's hairy. :rotfl: He always wears a ratty cotton tshirt in the pool or at the beach, although I wish he would at least get something nicer like a rash guard shirt.

I don't think it's weird at all.

I have this really weird question.

My son has a huge scar down the front of his chest from surgery that he's really self conscious about. It doesn't bother me, but it bothers him. It seems to bother him more now that he's a teen. He says people always stare at it

I was hoping if the weather was good on our Nov trip that he'd go swimming, but he said not unless he can wear a tshirt.

Is it weird for a guy to wear a tshirt in the pool?

Why not just buy him a rashgard shirt.

Denise in MI

UV shirt are great! My son is VERY fair skinned, unlike me or my DD. These shirt are great for blocking the rays and for comfort in the pool. They are very light, don't hold water, dry quicklyy and come in realy cool designs and colors that don't fade.

You can buy them all over and if I remember correctly the last time I was down in FL in August of last year they sold them at downtown Disney.

A few years ago I went to sleep planing to donate a kidney to my dad through a few small incisions and woke up with a few of those and foot long scar due to some complications. That scar doesn't tan, and even with sunscreen it burns easily, so I always wear a shirt swimming outside. At a beach I'm easily in the minority but rarely the only guy wearing a shirt. At a water park it's very common.

Almost any of the synthetic materials will be better than cotton (less clingy, less heavy when wet, faster drying). I'm not a huge fan of the actual swim-shirt cut/material, so my go-to choice is actually a Reebok tee shirt (from the golf department) made of a synthetic wicking material. The actual swim shirts seem to be sized about ~2 sizes smaller than any other shirt I own, and I gather that this is by design. If you don't want a skin-tight fit you may want to have your son try it on before purchasing.

Some boys do... especially ones a little overweight. I wouldn't think twice if I saw it.

But they have new shirts that are called Rashguards, that are made of the same material as girl bathing suits, that either sex can wear that are better for swimming in as they won't be as heavy/uncomfortable, but will still keep the sun off, etc. They would even be less inconspicuous.

Maybe get him one of those?

I am 30 and I wore a surf tee (fits more like a t-shirt) to the waterparks when we went last August. Aside from covering my bulbuous gut, the tee is UV protective.
Check target. I found one for my little girl (10 years) for our upcoming trip just the other day. It was on clearance for $5. Otherwise, they can be found online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter