Is it bad to say....

Hi! It's funny that you posted this, me and my DBF are celebrating our 1st "date" anniversary at WDW this year too! (Jun 28-Jul 3) :lovestruc You don't have to be a :bride: to have an anniversary!

I think I'm going to order a cake for us for when we have dinner at Ohanas.

Me and my boyfriend went in august for our one year anniversary and we loved it :) we didn't wear anniversary pins, but some of our resteraunts knew it, and i had a sign/menu at the coral reef waiting for him. everyone was very nice, and noone cared that we were only 19 and clearly not maried (no ring on this finger!). it added a little more magic, and i think it's okay, because it is an anniversary.
have fun!

Thanks to everyone who has responded! It sounds to me like there is a whole lot of love to be celebrated at Disney this year. Congrats to all of you who are able to celebrate an anniversary there, especially the 25 years - that's wonderful! Personally, I can't wait to go and share such a wonderful place with such an amazing man! I'm sure you all feel the same way :) Thanks to your responses, I have decided that we will not keep it secret. We'll pick up some pins (maybe not wear them), but they'll be great souveniers of our anniversary trip!

WDW is a magical place where ELSE would you celebrate your 'togetherness' :goodvibes

insecure.. Lmao.
Yeah I guess those pin were made just for staying on the shelf. "OH I better not get one I'll show I'm insecure"

No it's to make your stay more magical.

We are celebrating our oldest DS high school graduation on our next trip. I am making him a button and a t-shirt. I am not insecure. I am a proud mom, we are celebrating him reaching a milestone in his life, graduating with honors, and also being accepted to the college of his choice. I don't know why anyone would think it is wrong to celebrate anything that is important to you.

Have a great anniversary trip!:lovestruc

My wife and I have two anniversaries. One for when we were married and the other for the first day we went out/kissed. Now, for me, the second one is much more special than the first. I knew from the moment I saw her that she was the one.

I often have trouble remembering which date it is that we were married on, but I'll never forget Jan. 15th. That day changed my life. The wedding ceremony was just confirmation of what happened then.

To all the people who whine about "announcing it just to get free stuff". Even if that was the case, so what? What's the best they give you, a free cupcake, after spending 28.99 on a buffet or dinner anyways? Or a free photopass picture after spending 70 to get into the park?

These things barely seem free to me!

My fiance & I celebrated our dating anniversary every year until we got engaged - LOTS of people do! Right now, it IS your anniversary, and if you're in Disney you absolutely have the right to get the button.

People go there to celebrate, and to have magic surround them. Wearing a button just adds to that! It's fun to be congratulated, and it makes people smile when they look at you. That's all it's about.

Go for it, congrats ~ have a great trip! ;)

I don't see a problem with it, just be prepared for this from lots of strangers/CMs:

Random Person: "Oh, how long have you been married??"

You: "We are dating"

You will get various reponses like this:
"Why aren't you married?
When are you gonna propose?? You need to give that girl a ring!!
Why haven't you proposed yet??
The next time you come here you better bring your kids!
Don't get married, trust me!
Don't ever have children...trust me!"

My bf and I have heard ALL of these at WDW just walking around- NOT wearing a pin even.

Do it! An anniversary is an anniversary no matter what you are celebrating! It doesn't specify that it has to be the anniversary of a marriage (which, now that I think about it, would be incredibly unfair to gay couples since we don't allow them to marry in this country...good thing Disney is so open-minded with its anniversary pins!).

There are plenty of people who celebrate dating anniversaries at Disney, as well as plenty who celebrate birthdays or anniversaries that don't happen to fall during their Disney trip. If your trip to Disney is a celebration, treat it as such! Any perks that come from the pins are small and things that many CMs give away or do anyway (especially with the YOAMD celebration going on) so it's not like you're stealing away anybody else's special moment.

Have fun!

Do it! An anniversary is an anniversary no matter what you are celebrating! It doesn't specify that it has to be the anniversary of a marriage (which, now that I think about it, would be incredibly unfair to gay couples since we don't allow them to marry in this country...good thing Disney is so open-minded with its anniversary pins!).

Amen to that!

My DH and I have been married almost 7 years, but we still celebrate the day we met (which happens to be the day we started dating--we didn't waste any time! ;) ). In fact, we just celebrated our 10-year "Meetiversary!" I think YOU get to decide what anniversary to celebrate, and celebrate away!

Congratulations and have fun!

Do what my wife and I are doing. WE are going in June and our anniversary was in march. Dont say its your anniversary...say you are CELEBRATING your anniversary. Who's to tell you when you cellebrate or not?!

Amen! My boyfriend and I are celebrating our 7 year dating anniversary with a special dinner while we are at Disney. We are not married yet because it is just not the right time in our lives. Maybe in a few years we will have our own Disneymoon :love:
So what if it's not our wedding anniversary? It's special to US and that's what matters :goodvibes
Have a great trip!
~Abby

How are you planning to "announce" it - by wearing homemade T-shirts or pins or something (do they have anniversary pins?). Why announce it at all? In general, I have noticed that the people who feel the need to announce events the loudest are usually the most insecure.
I don't really see the point in announcing something like a full year of dating, just like I kind of don't see the point in wearing birthday or First Timer pins, unless you want special treatment or you are a little kid (and getting b-day greetings from CMs and characters would be important to you).
Do whatever you want. There are no real "rules" for this situation.

Wow, that is harsh. People like to mark monumental things like birthdays, anniversaries. Maybe you don't but most people do, we are going for my DH 31 and DD 4 birthdays. They will get pins, and special treatment because they deserve it and they are special, not insecure.

I don't see a problem with it, just be prepared for this from lots of strangers/CMs:

Random Person: "Oh, how long have you been married??"

You: "We are dating"

You will get various reponses like this:
"Why aren't you married?
When are you gonna propose?? You need to give that girl a ring!!
Why haven't you proposed yet??
The next time you come here you better bring your kids!
Don't get married, trust me!
Don't ever have children...trust me!"

My bf and I have heard ALL of these at WDW just walking around- NOT wearing a pin even.

I would just say 1 year, I don't think you have to go into no we're just dating etc. it's not really anyone's business.

I think celebrating the anniversary of the day you met is fine, as long as you celebrate it on the day. I don't think the pin says Wedding Anniversary! I think it's really sweet.:lovestruc

I think people's gripe is that some people celebrate for the whole of their stay or six months after the event. I don't agree with this myself. I am making a trip to Disneyland Paris next September which will be a 40th birthday present from my DH for my birthday in Nov. (I dont want to go in Nov, it is too cold:) ). I would not celebrate my birthday with a pin etc. two months before the actual date, it would seem really strange.

Have a great trip, and you never know you may be celebrating something else on your next trip, like your engagement;)

I agree with the majority of these posters -- Go For It! :grouphug: In my opinion, Disney is for special celebrations, and if it's special to YOU, then it's special.

The first thing our family of 4 (50, 41, 13 and 12) will do upon arriving on May 10th, is run to pick up our "first-timer" pins. And we will all wear them proudly each day we enter a new park. As far as being insecure, blah blah blah. I have waited 41 years to get to the World, and am so excited to be finally visiting the most magical place on earth! And, if we get a "magical moment" because of the pins, all the better! But just being there is dream come true in itself.

We're wearing matching t-shirts, too. We must be reallly insecure, ;)

Anything that makes it more magical for you, I say do it!
Have fun and congrats on your 1st year together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter