Is higher better? Deck differences

blaw2

Earning My Ears
We're booked in a category 4c, deck 7, deluxe family stateroom with veranda on the Dream this fall. :Yay!: I noticed that given identical stateroom floor plans and location (aft, fore, mid) the higher the deck, the more expensive the category. What are the advantages to a room on a higher deck? I'd think being on deck 10, for example, would be paying extra money for the noise radiating from deck 11. Are the views from the veranda better higher up? What in your opinion(s) are the best decks and locations for veranda views, for noise, convenience, or any other factor?

We're booked in a category 4c, deck 7, deluxe family stateroom with veranda on the Dream this fall. :Yay!: I noticed that given identical stateroom floor plans and location (aft, fore, mid) the higher the deck, the more expensive the category. What are the advantages to a room on a higher deck? I'd think being on deck 10, for example, would be paying extra money for the noise radiating from deck 11. Are the views from the veranda better higher up? What in your opinion(s) are the best decks and locations for veranda views, for noise, convenience, or any other factor?

It is all in the perception of what you think is better. Some will say higher is better, some will say why pay more for the exact same cabin just because it is on a higher deck....can the view really be that much better?

Personally, I don't think a higher deck is worth it for the exact same cabin. it all comes back to the early days of cruising when their were class distinctions onboard cruise ships....the lower the deck the poorer the passengers and the higher the deck the more wealthy.

One thing to consider on the Dream/Fantasy is the view straight down to the water....the cabins right above the lifeboats can inhibite the view straight down but the view out to the horizon is unaffected.

I don't like booking a cabin over a theatre, or night club or under the pool deck.

MJ

We usually try to book deck 7 (5 of 8 cruises) regardless of location, mid ship, Aft etc. We have found this deck to be quiet as well as having convenient access to the upper decks Pools, Cabanas etc., it is also just a few floors up from the shops. But that's just our subjective take, I know many others will have differing opinions. :cool1:

I'll admit it, I'm lazy. We book according to where we will spend the most time and won't have to wait for an elevator and for us that means higher. We like to be close to the beverage station, pools etc. it is a personal preference and that just works for us.

We usually try to book deck 7 (5 of 8 cruises) regardless of location, mid ship, Aft etc. We have found this deck to be quiet as well as having convenient access to the upper decks Pools, Cabanas etc., it is also just a few floors up from the shops. But that's just our subjective take, I know many others will have differing opinions. :cool1:

I agree, we always go with deck 7. Also, the kids clubs are on deck 5 so that is close too! One thing I noticed on the Dream - on deck 8, it appers that the Deck 9 folks can look right down on your balcony! We never do much out there, it just made me feel a little weird.

I agree, we always go with deck 7. Also, the kids clubs are on deck 5 so that is close too! One thing I noticed on the Dream - on deck 8, it appers that the Deck 9 folks can look right down on your balcony! We never do much out there, it just made me feel a little weird.

Not sure what part of deck 8/9 you are referring to. I was mid-ship on the Dream's deck 8 (8064) and didn't have that issue. (But we could clearly see the veranda's on deck 5 behind the lifeboats...)

I was on Princess cruise and my balcony jetted out further then the ones above me. I was on deck 7 everyone above me could look down and see me (like deck 9 does to deck 8)

It was a little disconcerning hearing stories of people dropping things etc. Nothing happened the cruise was great I tried not to look up to see who was looking down LOL

Hope you have a great cruise!

I like to be on deck 8 of the Dream/Fantasy and deck 6 of the Magic/Wonder cause it's right in the middle. Easy access up and down.

But really it's about perception. Everyone is treated the same so it's all about what you personally want. Deck 7 too expensive? Go for 6 and happily save the dough! :)

I was on Princess cruise and my balcony jetted out further then the ones above me. I was on deck 7 everyone above me could look down and see me (like deck 9 does to deck 8)

It was a little disconcerning hearing stories of people dropping things etc. Nothing happened the cruise was great I tried not to look up to see who was looking down LOL

Hope you have a great cruise!

I still have a hard time understanding how you say deck 9 overlooks deck 8 - I thought I was remembering incorrectly, so I had to find an old thread with pictures to prove that my memory WASN'T failing. Look in this thread...

The only floor whose verandas are seen from above along the side of the ship is deck 5 (whose verandas are much wider and go out to the full width of the outdoor walkway on deck 4). Decks 6-10 are straight up and do not taper back. So the only way someone could see your veranda would be if they were to hang over the side but they would not be able to drop anything on you. (Unless you were leaning over the rail yourself.)

I appreciate all the feedback, I'm really happy to be where we are, as noise is a big factor, we have 2 very light sleepers. As for being far from the elevators, I have a feeling i'll need to burn off a few extra calories anyway ;) !

When we were on the Dream last year, we had a 4C and absolutely loved the location (starboard, mid-ship). It was quiet and we thought the view from the verandah was just fine. I think you will really like it. :thumbsup2

You are right about the noise on Deck 10. We have sailed on Deck 8 on the Wonder (only place they have 4's) and there was a lot of noise from the pool deck above. It wasn't that big of a deal to us, but we could definitely hear it. We had none of that on Deck 7 of the Dream.

I was on a Princess Ship not a Disney Ship.....Please read the poster before me they stated the deck above jetted out....I was responding to what that was like.

I was on a Princess Ship not a Disney Ship.....Please read the poster before me they stated the deck above jetted out....I was responding to what that was like.

Sorry should have (also) quoted fsugirl - it looked to me as if you were agreeing with her.

We just had deck 9 on the dream - mid ship. Loved it and would totally stay on that floor again. Easy access up to the pools and top decks yet not too far down to the main levels. We liked to avoid the elevators as often as possible.

No problem redman, I will be on the Dream for the first time in few weeks. I have sailed on the Magic and Wonder. I don't remember the life boats sticking out of the ship the way they do in the pictures from the Dream? Am I correct?

No problem redman, I will be on the Dream for the first time in few weeks. I have sailed on the Magic and Wonder. I don't remember the life boats sticking out of the ship the way they do in the pictures from the Dream? Am I correct?
Here's the Magic..
Disney_Magic_St_Thomas_14.JPG

Yes, the lifeboats to go out further, but remember they are MUCH larger than the ones on Magic/Wonder because the ship is that much larger. There are 20 lifeboats on Magic/Wonder and only 16 on Dream/Fantasy.

When we booked our Fantasy trip the DCL advisor advised us to stay on deck 9 rather 10 because of the pool and deck noise above.

Personally, I'm very sensitive to the ship's motion, so I much prefer the lower decks. I had a deck 6 cabin on the Magic in the Med, and I felt the movement. I have deck 2 coming up on the Fantasy, and I couldn't be happier.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter