Is free dining worth it for DVC members?

That's exactly my thought! I priced out moderates for late August. The standard rooms are the only ones that make it worthwhile price-wise.

We tried CBR with a JetBlue package 2 years ago. It's the only non-deluxe we've ever stayed at. My kids love the pool and still talk about it. DH refuses to go back. :crazy2: Now I can't even convince him to try AoA.:confused3

Have a great trip!

My 4 year old son really wants to stay in the Cars suite at AOA. If room only discounts open for our dates, I might consider tacking on an extra night to our trip just so we can check it out.

Will you be able to rent those Saratoga Points? You did get a great rate, but I could not stay in a studio with other people for more than one night. It was different when our kids were young....but now we usually get a one bedroom for just the two of us. We also get premium annual passes, so the dining offer still would not work for us. I would also miss having the little kitchenette in the DVC studios. It is always good to see what else is out there. If it isn't what you like, go back to your old plan next time. CRS looks like a great resort.....seems like it doesn't get much recognition.

You will have to report back after your trip. I'll be curious as to how you liked a regular room vs. DVC.

Oh I also wanted to mention that you can apply the park hoppers that you have to buy through the free dining towards your premium pass annual renewal. Don't know if that makes a difference for you.

You can upgrade the full value of the park tickets in the package to your next PAP renewal. So, that part of the package is a wash.

The problem can be that you can only do that in person. So you have to be there around your renewal time or wait and buy new.

So I just booked a standard room with free dining at CSR for 5 nights November 14-19 for $2660.84. The 6 day park hoppers are worth about $1600 and I would have to pay that anyway regardless if I booked DVC or free dining. So the cost of the accommodations/food works to be about $1060 for 5 nights ($212 per night). If I booked at my home resort at SSR for the same nights, that would be 73 points and I would have to pay for the dining plan out of pocket (about $800). If I rent out my 73 points for $12pp I could apply that to my free dining trip ( $1060 minus $876 for DVC points) so it would be like paying $184 for accommodations/food for five nights at CSR. Please tell me if you notice something off with my calculations because that seems like it's too good to be true. Maybe my brain isn't working right today.....TIA

If you like being on the plan, the available ADR's, how busy the restaurants are, the room availability, the admission media, the minimum stay, then the DDP can be a good deal.

Disney offers the DDP knowing that most people will modify their plans to meet Disney's restrictions or they will settle for something that they don't want or can't fully use. That makes it a good deal for some an okay deal for others and a bad deal for the rest.

:earsboy: Bill

Also heard on the DISunplugged podcast the theory that Disney wants to get rid of free dining because they don't need it anymore... and the added expenses, restrictions and reduced availability are sort of a phase out

CRS seems like one of those "best kept secrets". The photos of the rooms look great. We ate at the Mayan Grill one time and the steak there was excellent....you could see them cooking it over an oak fired grill. I think you will have a wonderful time. I'm going to guess that bus service would be good....I don't think they "share" a bus with another resort (but I think I remember that they have at least two stops in the resort).

I'm staying a AKV for the first time. Not used to relying on bus service, but I refuse to drive to the Magic Kingdom. We usually walk there from BLT. Doing an off-site trip too and that will be a real change for me.

Congrats on the great deal!

when the FDP first rolled out, it was far more economical and inclusive vs it's current version. In the past, there were many reports of DVC'rs booking a value as a throw away room & staying @ DVC. Of course, values were less than $80 a night rack rate then.

We've done the FDP several times and enjoyed it but just felt it was 'too much' food & effort to schedule around a TS everyday. The points that would've been allocated were either banked/rented/or used for a bonus trip :teeth:.

The current offering and what I feel are ridiculously high rack rates, along with fact we typically just have 2 adults on our trips, don't make it cost effective for us.

We are not as enamored of the onsite food, several favorites are still in rotation, but since we rent a car enjoy being able to venture offsite for meals.

It's always good to have choices, but I do think the FDP days are numbered.

I have often used this promo instead of using my dvc points. When I travel in the fall it is usally with just one of my dd's. The other one stays home, and no they understand its just one at a time and are good with it..lol. We dont need the bigger rooms and young kids like different things. My dd8 still talks about and wants to go back to the piano pool (ASMusic), and thats even after staying at BC the last 2 times. You have to remember young kids see things different. So if I can do value and get FD, Tickets all in and cheaper I am good. When we go as a full family, then yes we like the room of the 1bd, but just 2 of us I can sleep in a tent and eat pb&j, with them if it makes them ( and me) happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter