• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Fort Wilderness really that good???

We just left Bay Lake Tower, being there for the past week and wished we were at Fort Wilderness. We are now at Animal Kingdom Lodge and it does feel nice so far. Much better theming. We still like Fort Wilderness and will be using points there as well next year. Just wanted to spoil ourselves a little bit this year. And as others have said... Yes it is that good. I drag a trailer from Iowa and it's still worth it. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else. Mum's the word.

The Fort is a horribly, smelly, damp, cold, dreary, buggy, overgrown, miserable place where people smoke, drink, swear and refuse to share their campsites or allow kids to ride their bikes ad nauseum, and no one in their right mind should ever consider going there. Harumph.

oh, um, please ignore my signature. :rolleyes1

The Fort is a horribly, smelly, damp, cold, dreary, buggy, overgrown, miserable place where people smoke, drink, swear and refuse to share their campsites or allow kids to ride their bikes ad nauseum, and no one in their right mind should ever consider going there. Harumph.

oh, um, please ignore my signature. :rolleyes1

Do we have the strength to start this one again? I hope so, I was out of town the first time and missed the whole thing.

My family has been DVC for 11 years now, and got back into camping with a HW pop-up 3 years ago. Love the DVC, but just returned from our first trip to the fort since the early 80's. Yes, it's great. And yes, it was worth driving down to from NY...so long as we did have 2 weeks to do it :). The major reason we resumed camping is because of our dogs; Our main pup-sitter Grampa passed away and the furkids come traveling with us now. So when we found out they can come to the Fort, it was full-speed ahead, and we had a great time! We are still DVC, and will continue to be, but are currently banking points for a trip to Hawaii when they open there. For atmosphere the Fort is great!

Karen

We would not stay any place except FW, :love: (and we have stayed at several of Disneys resorts). It really is the best. :thumbsup2
We go several times a year.:yay:

Do we have the strength to start this one again? I hope so, I was out of town the first time and missed the whole thing.

Oh it keeps cropping up - quite a bit lately in fact. Someone recently reposted the original thread link. It's just as good the second time around. :dance3:

Dont listen to these people...there just crazy.....Its over priced, its filthy, the staff is rude...I once asked the Security at the guardstation where Walmart was and she pulled me out of my truck and continuously slapped me for "trying to be funny"....it really hurt too! I took my kids to the "Campfire program starring Chip and dale" and there were huge rats roaming around with NO FEAR AT ALL of human interaction!!! people drinking and driving golfcarts like its NASCAR....all of the so called "campers" are in terrible moods because they cant afford a REAL vacation with a hotel room and all. Dont waste your time there....besides, you'd probably never beable to score a site anyway!! Disney acts like they are doing you a favor by letting you make a reservation there......its just awfull, in every aspect!!!
needed reposting,:rotfl2:

Once you camp at the fort your hooked!!! there is no other campground like it one of the few places that you can do as much or as little as you want, And always something going on, Camping at the fort is a five star place in our book!:thumbsup2

WE ARE HOOKED!!!!!!:worship::worship::worship::worship:

yes, it is THAT good! LOL We camped there this past Oct/Nov for two weeks in our camper, with a group that had about 6 sites, and it was great! There was always something to do for every age, at anytime of the day. We vowed we would never go back to Disney unless we camped....but, gasp, I have to say, that next December...gasp...we are being forced to stay for just a week at the Shades of Green....gasp...we would much rather camp, but we won't have the time and the people we are going with are so not a camping family....my suggestion is to just jump in and do it, you will be presently surprised.

Where in KY are you from? We live in Nicholasville. Just outside of Lexington! Do you tent camp or do you haul a camper all that way?

We live in Somerset. We drive a motorhome now...makes the trip much easier with the kiddos! We take two days to drive it and take our time. We have also towed two different campers there in the past. Wouldn't do it any other way I don't think!

Is FW really that good?

Just spent a few days at CRS with the wife. On our way back to the airport on the magical express, we wondered how this resort is making it. The disney feel is just not there.

FW is like none other.. There may be isolated issues from grumpy old men, but when my buddy called the front desk and they sent out a maintence work to talk about an AC problem and he solved it, with a little RV knowledge, I was impressed. Cost billed from Disney $0. Tip to the worker to have AC $20.00

FW is as much the guests as much as the park.

BTW- did the hoop dee doo review last trip down. Can't see taking a family of 5 2 A - 3 K under 7 for dinner.

Dont listen to these people...there just crazy.....Its over priced, its filthy, the staff is rude...I once asked the Security at the guardstation where Walmart was and she pulled me out of my truck and continuously slapped me for "trying to be funny"....it really hurt too! I took my kids to the "Campfire program starring Chip and dale" and there were huge rats roaming around with NO FEAR AT ALL of human interaction!!! people drinking and driving golfcarts like its NASCAR....all of the so called "campers" are in terrible moods because they cant afford a REAL vacation with a hotel room and all. Dont waste your time there....besides, you'd probably never beable to score a site anyway!! Disney acts like they are doing you a favor by letting you make a reservation there......its just awfull, in every aspect!!!

(ok...maybe there are a few lies in the above statement, but we gotta find SOMEWAY to ensure site availability, right?)
Too funny!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

People, PEOPLE!!! Are you a bunch of morans??? Telling this poor creature just how wonderful Fort Wilderness is? Why on earth would you wish to encourage anyone to stay there? The OP has the opportunity to stay at another resort for less $$$. They should certainly do that and stay away from a resort where you are subjected to encounters with gnats, mosquitoes, armadillo, bunnies, turkeys, otters, alligators, and other such wildlife. That is no vacation at all! If the OP wants to encounter wild game, they would have booked a safari in Africa.
I really suggest to book your vacation at the other resort. You may get a dining plan that is not available to Fort guests, and that would really sweeten the deal.

To regular Fort Fiends.... Shhhhhh....be vewy, vewy qwiyet! You have GOT to quit bragging up the Fort to everyone or we're NEVER going to be able to book a site. :eek:
:thumbsup2 But we love the Fort- we look forward to it more than going into the parks- it does spoil us and no other RV compares! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter