Is FD worth it with the crowds?

Motsy

Mouseketeer
I'm in the very beginning stages of planning our Disney vacation for next year. We went this year in January which is the time of year that we always go, but I'm thinking of going next year so we can go to MNSSHP since my kids have never experienced it before. I'm really starting to question whether I want to do September now, though. We're not used to going in that heat for one thing, but I'm also concerned that the FD (which I was hoping to get) will make the crowds much busier than we're used to in the last week of January. Thoughts? Do you think we'd end up regretting the switch based on what we're used to? I'd love to see the MNSSHP and take advantage of FD, but I'm not sure if it's worth the heat and crowds.

The crowds are moderate/busy but not super busy during FD, but the heat is definitely intense, super hot and humid, like you feel like you are melting hot. Try it but be prepared for the intense heat.

We have gone in September 2013 for an 8 day stay beginning on Sept. 19th-Sept.28 and we only had 1 day of really high heat and humidity. The park was doable until about 2:30 pm the day we did Epcot. It was a FD period then also and the crowds were not too bad as the F&W festival did not begin until that Friday. They did a CM preview Thursday PM. I think if you steer away from the F&W time you don't have near the crowds.

I do think later Sept might be better in terms of heat and humidity.

We have gone every Sept for years (only missing 2014). The crowds have definitely increased in September. IMO, I do think Sept will continue to be a busier time as Disney is offering less and less discounts other times, and it seems they are marketing more to international guests to help fill Sept. And it seems to be working!

Having said that, I think it would be similar to late Jan. Maybe just slightly higher, but nothing that would be unmanageable. If you want your kids to get to do MNSSHP, then Sept is probably your best time to visit.

Thanks for your replies so far! I am looking at possibly doing September 22-30 so it would be the latter part of September. How is the heat then? My kids are younger (would be 9, 7, 5, and almost 3) so I don't want everyone miserable. A couple of us can be babies about extremely hot temperatures even though we're from NC.

I live in Tampa. September is still hot, very hot. If you have any qualms about the heat, September is not the time to go. It's mid October now and temps are still in the mid to upper 80s with high humidity. It doesn't start getting pleasent until about the end of October.

I think you need to decide what's more important; free dining or the heat.

Crowds are going to be the least of your problems.

I live in Boca Raton, FL. It is still hot & humid in September and considered the wettest month of the rainy season here in South Florida.

We just got back from our FD trip Oct. 1 -Oct. 9. The weather was wonderful. We never felt too hot. The highest it ever got was 87 degrees and there was still a slight breeze that made it feel nice. We also never got rained on. It rained one night, but that was resort night so it didn't effect us. One day was actually a little to chilly for Typhoon Lagoon. It was nice to add on the water parks since we usually go in Jan. and it is too cold. Evening weather was perfect. A couple nights we had to pull out the jackets. The crowds were manageable, but we usually go the week after Christmas so we are used to crazy crowds. Epcot was probably the worst as far as crowds bc of F&W. Night EMH in MK were great very little crowds. We really enjoyed the FD (and we only did QS). We usually bring our own food into the parks and this was so much nicer. MNSSHP was great. The kids loved it and the crowds for rides were light. I would definitely say free dining is worth it evening with an increase in crowds. Our check in was one of the last days of FD so that may have helped us too. We had such a great time that we booked the bounce back for the same time.

We go over labor day and the crowds are low. Temperature is hot but we love it. No party night though which is also ok with us.

It's not typically very crowded during free dining, that's why they offer it; to bring more people into the resorts. Also, my family thinks it's very very hot and humid in Aug/Sept, never been in October.

Please remember that how hot we feel is very relative. I was in Barbados recently and when it was in the mid to high 70's at night or on cloudy days I was feeling good that it was finally not blazing hot and humid but the natives were walking around with sherpa sweaters and jackets on .

If you don't like humidity with temps in the high 80's sometimes 90's then It is not be the time for you, we no longer go during this free dining period for that reason. It's one thing being on a tropical island in the heat on the beach and another waiting in lines and walking miles each day. I also think Sept crowds are comparable to Jan with crowds after Labor Day actually being a little lighter.

I live in Tampa. September is still hot, very hot. If you have any qualms about the heat, September is not the time to go. It's mid October now and temps are still in the mid to upper 80s with high humidity. It doesn't start getting pleasent until about the end of October.

I think you need to decide what's more important; free dining or the heat.

Crowds are going to be the least of your problems.

I agree. We booked a free dining offer this August and Whoa Nellie! It was hot! Not just hot...surface of the sun hot, with humidity that was oppressive. I have been in August before at the same time, and I recognize that all things are never equal, no matter what, but after this trip, it is going to be a LONG time til I do it again. If heat and rain is an issue, you may want to rethink your dates.

We could not even sit by the pool, folks were laying in the water..it was that hot.

You can pretty much generalize that August and September will be HOT in Orlando. That being said, one our most humid trips ever was in the month of February - maybe because we weren't expecting it! We take advantage of Free Dining though, whenever we can. At least one table service a day, usually at dinner, suits our style. The parks generally aren't that busy, but the restaurants will be so be sure to make those ADRs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter