• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Facebook the end of DISboard Cruise Meets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valbob89

Registered
I understand many people prefer to chat via Facebook instead of on the DISboards. While I don't like FB as well, I have no problem with people using it. Just like I don't mind someone being in our DISboard group and a Cruise Critic group.

However, more and more I am finding DISboards postings that info regarding activities for the DISboard group is being decided and info distributed only on FB.

Am I being to sensitive? Do others find this a problem? Do you have to be on both in order to be an activie DISboard cruise member?

We had a very active FB page for the June 2nd cruise out of NYC. I do find that it is easier to get to know others on FB.

Our Magic group has a facebook page for our FE exchange and the dis meet and greet. I go to both so I dont miss anything. Everyone is good about posting on both on both sites for our group so I dont have the problem But it would bother me if I missed something

I just had a cruise that used both. I found so many people on FB were asking questions that are easily found on the boards. Just for the time suck, I prefer the groups stick to disboards. But I'll join which ever just to get to know my fellow travelers.

Jill

Val,

you are not sensitive...I use FB a lot, but I prefer all cruise discussion on DIS boards...remember, even for our cruise some information got lost between DIS and FB...

I understand some people don't use or like FB and they are cut short with info discussed there. It's ok if organizers of events post and follow on both all the info needed to participate, but usually they don't......

Our June 2nd had a FB page to plan, set up mixology and fish extenders, etc. But there was someone that still checked on the meet thread for new people. So we had information on both.

I don't do facebook, I don't want to do facebook.

Our cruise meet thread is predominatly being done on facebook. I accept that many discussions/decisions/etc are being made somewhere that I choose not to participate in, BUT I would like updates here on the cruise meet thread to keep me in the loop.

:cutie:

I tend to agree, I have found since FB meet threads have become so popular that fewer people seem to be joining the meets. Last 2 cruises have had Facebook meets and they were pretty slow moving compared to first couple of cruises where the DIS thread was very active.

I know Cruise Critic does not allow Facebook links for meets as I am sure it does reduce visits to their website which I am sure effects advertising revenue.

I don't think you're being sensitive. If you're used to having your information separate then that is what's going to be more comfortable for you.

I prefer to keep cruise discussions on the DIS boards too. I choose not to have a "real" FB page because I don't feel the need to share every detail of my life with someone I went to high school with but haven't seen even once in the years since. And I certainly don't need to hear about how her 4 dogs each got a new sweater and, by the way, here's some pictures of them. :rolleyes:

That being said, I created a semi-accurate FB page to keep up with the cruise discussion when some information is there. But that's literally the only thing that's on that FB page. I probably look like I'm completely anti-social to the rest of the cruisers since I have no friends, likes, or anything else on my timeline. :rotfl:

I do not think you are being too sensitive..it is just way easier to share ideas and notifications stick to one subject...there could be 100 pages of posts and you need to find info it can be very time consuming. Some of us have tried to put important updates in the first page of posts...but it is difficult...also, Disboards is not consistent with alerting me...there may be side conversations that do not pertain to me but you have to run through them all

On FB, if you want a quick confirmation of FE participants you are able to see all responses in one area...very helpful than tracking down 10+ pages of responses..it is just very convenient!

I also do not like Facebook, but it is now the primary Cruise Meet engine.

As a result, I no longer see the point in participating in Cruise Meets solely through the DIS. But I never got into the whole FE thing, I mostly just used it to get to know people before the cruise. I'm not resentful...using Facebook in concert w/ the DIS works for most people, just not for me.

I pretty much only use the FB page for our group it's easier. I think when people post important updates they also post them on DIS. However, it's not often. I do follow the threads on our meet group's DIS page though just to keep up. I think when your group has both it's important to utilize both. Otherwise you will could miss something. I understand that some people don't like to use FB but many, many do. I know I enjoy it. It would be a shame if FB links weren't 'allowed'.

I also do not like Facebook, but it is now the primary Cruise Meet engine.

As a result, I no longer see the point in participating in Cruise Meets solely through the DIS. But I never got into the whole FE thing, I mostly just used it to get to know people before the cruise. I'm not resentful...using Facebook in concert w/ the DIS works for most people, just not for me.

:thumbsup2

I don't do facebook, I don't want to do facebook.

Our cruise meet thread is predominatly being done on facebook. I accept that many discussions/decisions/etc are being made somewhere that I choose not to participate in, BUT I would like updates here on the cruise meet thread to keep me in the loop.

I agree, our meet is no FB and it has 43 members , I do not know any of them really just the ones that posted last or was welcomed. :confused3 I have been on meet threads here where I could spot the people in the terminal with no problem from talking to them for awhile before hand.

Am I being to sensitive? Do others find this a problem? Do you have to be on both in order to be an activie DISboard cruise member?

No ....... you are not too sensitive.

I have exact the same feeling as you. I notice that more and more discussions are revert to FB (especially dismeet discussions) and I don't like that. I much prefer the board as I don't use FB and I don't intend to use it just for the cruise meet.

Our June 2nd had a FB page to plan, set up mixology and fish extenders, etc. But there was someone that still checked on the meet thread for new people. So we had information on both.

I was on this cruise with llnolte and I participated in both the DIS group AND the FB group. I will say, getting to know our fellow cruisers was much easier on the FB page. We had a private "invite only" group so our conversations were not open to the general public. I liked that aspect as we were planning and getting to know each other. It seemed less "formal" and very comfortable. Our group has continued after our cruise and we are talking about another cruise together in 2014! :cool1:

We had people who didn't "do" FB so we made sure that information about things like interest in group excursions, mixology sign ups, meet times etc were posted on both and we were always letting people know there was a FB group in case they were interested in joining. We also planned a private group navigator with all information and times posted that everyone could download and bring with them. :thumbsup2

I honestly enjoyed the FB more, especially the opportunity to chat privately and see everyone pictures!! :rolleyes1

Just my thoughts.....
Michelle :flower3:

For me, I don't really like the fact that the cruise meet threads are open 100% to the public. I have a link in my sig for our thread, and do my best to keep both FB and the DIS thread updated, but the most detailed information is on FB. plus, I don't like the knowledge that anything I say in a private conversation can be used against me by someone not part of the discussion.

MTmomma said:
For me, I don't really like the fact that the cruise meet threads are open 100% to the public. I have a link in my sig for our thread, and do my best to keep both FB and the DIS thread updated, but the most detailed information is on FB. plus, I don't like the knowledge that anything I say in a private conversation can be used against me by someone not part of the discussion.

The groups are private, closed and not open to the public. None of my family or friends ever sees what I post on the group. Also to get invited someone has to add you.

I was also on the June 2nd (Magic) FB group. FB has a much cleaner flow to it. Someone posts a topic and then people can repsond within that topic. On Dis & CC, you have to read through a bunch of pages and responses to a particular post are in no real order. There's just no flow. I am on FB for a number of reasons but I'd have no problem joining for a cruise (you can open an email account just to use for things like that). Loved that we could share photos and info in a private way.

I was also on the June 2nd (Magic) FB group. FB has a much cleaner flow to it. Someone posts a topic and then people can repsond within that topic. On Dis & CC, you have to read through a bunch of pages and responses to a particular post are in no real order. There's just no flow. I am on FB for a number of reasons but I'd have no problem joining for a cruise (you can open an email account just to use for things like that). Loved that we could share photos and info in a private way.

exactly the reason we love FB meets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter