Is DLP worth it?

Me!Thatswho

DIS Veteran
Simply put, I am wondering a trip to DLP is worth a trip across the pond (re: the Atlantic) in either May or June 2011.

We are a family of Disney lovers (Me, DW, DS(9), & DD(7)). We, as a family, have been to both WDW (6 times) and DL (once). After our most recent trip to WDW (re: two iweeks ago), we think that it might be good to take a break from WDW in part because we don't want to visit until the Fantasyland renovations are complete. Also, we don't want to visit DL until the changes at DCA are complete (re: new Ariel's ride, Cars Land, etc). Yet, we already miss the mouse and the thought of waiting 2+ years is unbearable.

As such, DS suggested that we give DLP a go. We have spent a lot of time over the last few days watching video clips of rides and attractions on the internet, but we fear that it isn't enough to get a good gauge on whether such a trip would be worth it for us. Granted our visit would encompass more than the parks, but visiting DLP and the Studios would be the focal point around which we would plan our trip.

While I can appreciate most of the factors that would go into the trip (re: the cost, the planning, flying across the ocean, learning a little French, time changes, different food, etc), I am wondering if the parks themselves are worth such the trip? For those who have visited either of the parks in the US, does DLP have it's own unique magic, or is it just a carbon copy of what we have seen, or, even worse, is it simply an amusement park? I understand that it lacks the size of WDW and the company history of DL, but could one spend 3 to 4 days losing themselves in the parks to experience the wonder and magic without seeing everything quick and then merely redoing rides/attractions to pass the rest of the time? Also, if you have made the trip to the US to visit either DL or WDW, do you wish you hadn't done so because the aggravation associated with global travel and/or DLP is all of the Disney magic that you need?

FYI: While we're not a family that engages in "commando" trips (re: running around trying to do everything) by any means, we're also not pokers (re: those who stop every two feet to literally see everything). We usually spend between 7-10 days at WDW, with lots of park hopping, and we spent the better part of 5 days (3 full days and 2 1/2days) at DL.

Any thoughts, opinions, insights, etc., that you wish to share would be a tremendous benefit.

Thanks!

I've been told by a few people that the actual "parks" outsize the ones at WDW - Not sure if that's true.

In any case, never been to WDW but i'd definately say that DLP is worth a trip across the ocean :P

Sorry, I can't compare with WDW or DL, but I have to say that I can easily lose myself in DLP for 4 or 5 days, maybe more!

The castle is breathtaking and many on this forum have said it's the best of all the parks. Whilst there are similar rides, I believe there are differences and there are ususally many shows, and other experiences to enjoy.

I love the fact that both parks are literally minutes from each other. The onsite hotels are all within walking distance via Disney Village, and you will be sure to have many different experiences than you have enjoyed at WDW and DL.

Whether it's worth the long journey is only for you to decide, but you could combine your visit with some time in Paris, or pop over to the UK - only a couple of hours on train - to take in the sights.

I think you'd have a wonderful time - Good luck with your planning :goodvibes

I would say that your family as you describe yourselves would really enjoy a trip including DLRP.
I was a little concerned about how I would feel about Disneyland California (we visited as part of a Californian holiday last August). I worried that it would be old fashioned (it was but I loved it!), I worried that it wouldn't be as exciting as WDW (it wasn't but it was magical in a different way ;)), I worried that CA would be a little flat as it isn't very popular (its a Disney Park!! It was wonderful!).
In my experience families like ours will enjoy all the parks as long as we are interested in the differences between them and the different cultures in the Countries that host them. France and the French people are different to US parks and people - but different doesn't mean worse.
Take a guided tour, take your time do some planning and go in warm weather. Its a beautiful resort and you'll love it.:goodvibes

I think there's a lot of people one this board who just stick to DLP. We certainly do because my mum and I don't like the heat as much in Florida and I am disabled and the long travel puts me off. Having said that, I have never felt DLP to be a poor substitute! It's smaller I suppose, yes but it is beautiful. We can easily spend 5 days of great fun there (and probably more!).
I have known Americans who have said that the hotels aren't up to the same standard or maybe that it isnt as clean but I have never felt cleanliness to be an issue, everything is sparkley clean in my opinion! The size of hotel rooms is likely to be smaller but this is standard across Europe that hotel rooms aren't as big as the US. If money isn't an option, go for the DLH because the rooms are bigger and the whole place is just wonderful.
I think the key is, don't compare. There are bound to be differences (not least because of language and being on a different continent-even England and France are very different and only a tiny stretch of water separates us!) but DLP is still very much disney and a wonderful experience at that. Some of my happiest memories have been made there and I hope your family can do that too! :yay: :wizard:

Speaking as someone who nearly settled down in Orlando, I can hoenstly say that you'll love DLP. I spent nearly a week there last July and do you know what, actually turned around and announced that I had the BEST time ever and would pick it over WDW!

Sleeping Beauty's Castle is amazing. Inside you will find the story of Aurora, and underneath there is a dragon...the only Castle to have such an animal! The main park is beautiful, lots of attention to detail is made, and as for the rides, you are in for a shock! they might have the same name as WDW and DLC, but heck, don't be fooled!

Space Mountain is a coaster, with loops and a full seat restraint system (i.e, over the shoulder type like on the Hulk ride in Universal. It's a Small World has tweaks, Big Thunder Mountain in my opinion is better (ride it in the dark!) Pirates of the Caribbean has a small drop (and also the story is in the correct order, no Captain Jack in there I'm afraid, but the "real one" can be found outside).

In the Studio's you'll find different attractions to - Stitch Live works similar to Monsters Inc, and its great fun. Yes, you can be "that guy"! Tower of Terror is MAGNIFICENT as the DLP uses technology that means that you will get a different ride every time (the guys are still scary though and I had one follow me for an hour (seriously) because I wouldn't go "muwahahahahahahahahahah"!). The stunt show is exactly the same though, and I prefer the Paris Studios to WDW as they now have Toy Story Land opening up inside :thumbsup2

As for the hotels, they are not the standard of U.S hotels. The bottom two do not have air conditioning or pools, but the Sequioa upwards do. ~the rroms are smaller and so are the beds, but they are all very lovely. things like kettles etc may have to be requested at reception though and there may be a small charge for this. Breakfast is included and is continental style, unless you opt for the Hotel New York and DLH where you can have a hot breakfast included. The Newport offers this for a suppliment.

Remember though that the fireworks and Fanillusion Parade do not happen every night, only from July 1st to August 30th this year, and the Fantillusion again in the Winter season (November onwards). Firworks also happen on NYE, St Patricks Day and Fireworks night/Halloween.

I honestly think you will enjoy your time there! There is plenty to see and do, there isn't a "Down Town" but they do have a Village with plenty of food choice (and entertainment at certain times of the year). The center of Paris is an hour away and easy to get to. Lots of advice can be sort here about trains etc so if you can squeeze in a visit, go for it!

Right, I'm off to take my Disney Vacational exam :rotfl2:

I was in Paris last May(2009) and took the train over to DLP for a day. It was something that I felt I had to do since I was so close. I think it only took about 40mins by train. I have been to DL and WDW here in the states. DLP I felt was more the size of DL in the states. It was very beautiful and I had a good time. I wish I could have spent more time there but I didn't make it the focus of my trip as I wanted to see the city of Paris. It was worth the visit for me.

I have yet to visit DLP but for me the trip alone to paris, other parts of France would be the calling card and then I would happily spend 3 days at DLP while visiting.

We recently stopped over in Hong Kong, not because there was a Disneyland there but because it was somewhere we had never been before and we were interested in the city and the culture. Sure we made sure we visted the Disneyland there as we were so close and it was great to see.

If you are in a position to be able to afford an overseas trip then go for it. Enjoy the experience of everything that France has to offer not just the Disneypark.

Kirsten

I've been to WDW 6 times and DLRP 2 times (soon to be 3)

DLRP gets a lot of flac from people that remember the "Euro Disney" early years but its advanced quite a ways in the past few years and certainly has its own identifiable traits as a Disney Park now. The parks have a very "European" feel despite American themes and both parks have attractions that are Unique: Crush's Coaster, Space Mountain 2, Toy Story Playland (due in summer), Animagique, Cinemagique. Even old faves have some changes to them (in all honesty the only cloned ride that really disappointed me was the Studio Tram Tour)

One of the best things about DLRP is you hardly need a car for anything! Everything is in one spot, the Disney hotels are at most a 15 minute walk away from the parks and about 5-10 minutes away from Disney Village. In that regard its much easier getting about DLRP then WDW. I would certainly recommend considering staying in a Disney hotel for your trip, the service is normally good, theres characters roaming the hotel lobbies and free breakfast is included too.

Also the food is rather recommended, everyone should eat at Walts and Cafe Mickey at least once. Former for the food and latter for the *fantastic* character interaction. Even the McDonalds is worth trying as their French menu is quite different from the US menu!

Also the food is rather recommended, everyone should eat at Walts and Cafe Mickey at least once. Former for the food and latter for the *fantastic* character interaction. Even the McDonalds is worth trying as their French menu is quite different from the US menu!

This is the only thing I would disagree with! I think the food at DLRP is very poor in comparison the it's US equivalents!

I'd also say that I'd definitely recommend a trip to DLRP from across the pond, but only as part of a wider vacation (which seems to be your plan) including Paris.
If you were literally to fly in, spend time at DLRP then fly home, then I personally don't think it'd be worth it, and that's coming from a huge fan of Disneyland Paris :)

:goodvibes

This is the only thing I would disagree with! I think the food at DLRP is very poor in comparison the it's US equivalents!

I'd also say that I'd definitely recommend a trip to DLRP from across the pond, but only as part of a wider vacation (which seems to be your plan) including Paris.
If you were literally to fly in, spend time at DLRP then fly home, then I personally don't think it'd be worth it, and that's coming from a huge fan of Disneyland Paris :)

Saying that though Luke - I know plenty of people that go to WDW for a week and only WDW. They don't even spend the time in the parks, with the weather being so lovely I've known them to spend a pool day just in the hotel and go out to eat in the evening. Plenty of people do this as outside the resort doesn't interest them (shock I know lol, but believe me, this is also the opposite in some cases with some going "eugh" Disney). Each to their own :goodvibes

I would recommend that days in Paris are a must though, especially if you think you will never return (as most Brits do after WDW.....then two years later they are back :rotfl:)

I do disagree with the food though, of course it's going to be different as we're Europeans and don't things half a big as the American people (and I can comment on this OT is an American living 15 mins form WDW (and hates it with a passion :rotfl2:) but I enjoy the dinning experience :thumbsup2 with the buffets offering best value for money IMOH.

But to the OP, if you have the opportunity then go. the thing I would keep in mind is that it will be 6 hours ahead of Floridian time, and the get lag is a killer to get used too!! Book offsite for a few days to let your body adjust and then hit the park/onsite hotel :)

Saying that though Luke - I know plenty of people that go to WDW for a week and only WDW. They don't even spend the time in the parks, with the weather being so lovely I've known them to spend a pool day just in the hotel and go out to eat in the evening. Plenty of people do this as outside the resort doesn't interest them (shock I know lol, but believe me, this is also the opposite in some cases with some going "eugh" Disney). Each to their own :goodvibes

Very, very true!! I'm one of those who loves to do 'Orlando' rather than 'Disney' when I go there!! But I know those also who wouldn't even leave Disney Property too, as you say each to their own :)

It makes me laugh though when you speak to some Americans and they say that us Brits see more of Orlando then they do :lmao: There are some of us that cram everything into a 1/2 weeks holiday thinking we will never return...then do it all again the next year!:rotfl2:

We are a family of Disney lovers (Me, DW, DS(9), & DD(7)).

I'm sure you've now been convinced to come!! :goodvibes I think you would thoroughly enjoy a trip over ~ although I would also allocate at least one day for visiting Paris.

We went back in Sept 08 for one day and were able to do both parks and ride everything we wanted. Beautiful park, but when you compare it to WDW and DL you may the US parks are better in many ways. The food options were very limited, the hours weren't long, people smoking everywhere,and it was little on the dirty side. We were there to go to Paris and DLP was a side day trip, so would I go all that way to go to DLP,no way! However if you are going to Paris and want to side track there then it would be worth spending a day or two if you are a diehard Disney fan. Good Luck!

Thank you everyone for your opinions. We probably will spend 3-4 days at DLP, but we will also visit Paris and probably London as well. While I would love to see more of both countries, we more than likely will stick with the tourist sights due to the ages of the kids.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

While I would love to see more of both countries, we more than likely will stick with the tourist sights due to the ages of the kids.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Then a visit to the Disney Stores in London is in order :rotfl2:

Then a visit to the Disney Stores in London is in order :rotfl2:

That reminds me of a day DD and I spent in New York last year, we just had to visit the Disney store there and happened to be outside just as it was going to open :yay:

It opened, we entered, and all the staff were there applauding us!!!! :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter