• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney JUST for the little ones...?

egelb

Earning My Ears
As a high schooler and a member of the theatre community, I love Disney. My friends love Disney, my director loves Disney. We watch Disney movies together and encase ourselves in the company. Sometimes I get the feeling that some people don't think it's appropriate and it's "just for kids". I've tried to think of ways to explain this to adults that look down upon it and explain that I'm not the only teenager who enjoys Disney, and in fact that adults enjoy it a lot - maybe even more so than the kids sometimes! So - why does everyone of all ages in YOUR family enjoy Disney? Isn't it common among friends? I want to hear your voice! Xo

I'm in the same boat as you! I love Disney more than the younger members of my family, and none of my friends really understand my absolutely love for all things Disney. They'll tolerate it, but they roll their eyes. Disney isn't just for little kids! It can't be! Going there and making memories with my friends and my family at my age is just the best.

I am going to Disney in August with 2 friends and we are all over 55 years old....and we will stand in line for photos with characters, we will watch parades shows and anything else that is offered there:)

I went WDW for the first time as a teenager and fell in love with it. And now as a parent I still get excited planning for myself and my family. Disney is for everyone.

When I was in high school my dad retired and I made him get a job at the Disney store. I have always loved it. When we got married, my husband and I traveled to Disney as our last trip just the two of us before having kids. My brother-in-law and his wife are there right now on their honeymoon. Disney is for everyone! Sometimes teenagers have trouble enjoying the magic. It is awesome you don't. Don't worry about explaining to anyone else. Some folks won't ever get it. Their loss!

The first time I went to Disney was when I was 30. DH and I took our 3 year old DD and it was the first trip for all 3 of us. We all fell in love with it. That was in 2010 and we've been there 2 more times since then. I am trying to plan another trip for 2014. It is definitely for everyone of all ages.

I've tried to think of ways to explain this to adults that look down upon it and explain that I'm not the only teenager who enjoys Disney

Why not engage in conversation with them and talk about their feelings, ask them what the issue is. How are they showing you that they look down on it?

Since you're in theater, you might know this already, but lots of people think theater people are a bit, well, off. It's just part of being a theater person. You could be watching other movies and people are still going to react to you strangely.

Quickest way to say it's for anyone is to show them the rides with height restrictions, like Expedition Everest. Obviously that's not for small children.

So sorry you're having these experiences. I can assure you that Disney is not just for the little guys and gals.

My dad took me at age 12 (my sis was 8.) We feel in love with Disney! We went back when I was 16 after years of begging. What was cool was that after the trip when I was younger, I switched schools and one of the first friends I made was a kid that went to the world every year. We didn't end up becoming super close, but we chatted a lot after that trip. In high school, I had a friend become obsessed with the whole hidden Mickey thing. He complied a HUGE notebook for me of tons of them that he had found on his recent trip, as well as from some internet research....and this was back in the days of AOL and noisy modems.....lol..... So, there were older kids that loved Disney, too.

My Dad became a big Disney world fan, too. He was such a big kid. He planned our itinerary to the minute....read all the Disney guides....Everything. it hurts that he passed away before being able to go with his son-in-law and grandsons, but every trip back is very special to me because those trips remind me of him.....the parks have obviously changed, but I can still picture him in certain areas or on certain rides.

And then there's my hubby. We are thirty-somethings with kids, and his first real trip was not until we had a baby and traveled with a large family group about six years ago. Actually, his first Disney experience was in Epcot for a few hours after the group we were traveling with marched in the parade. It was hot, crowded, and we had little money as college kids, so he really didn't get to see Disney magic. But after those real trips, he totally gets it. He understands why it might cost more than just any ol' theme park. He sees the quality of everything and the incredible customer service of the cast members. He sees the magic, and good grief, my big, strong, military hubby was moved to tears a few times on our trip in 2011....just thinking about being there with his family and making some sweet memories. Don't tell anyone.....lol.

My dh and I have been going to Disney since we were married 35 years ago. My sons have been many times and love it as much as we do.

What surprises me is that many of my math students(I teach 10th 11th and 12th graders advanced math) know I love Disney (I guess it is the villains poster in my classroom that gives it away) and they are very vocal about how much they love it too. One told me last week at the National Honor Society Senior Teacher Mentor segment that she wants to go to Disney with me and ride the teacups while her older brother and sister hold our bags.

Everyone is unique but I hope I will always love Disney and be able to afford to visit. Some people become too grown up to make-believe but Pixie Dust is all over the rest of us!

DH and I go to WDW almost every year, and we are in our 60's. We are DVC owners, and we have booked our first Disney cruise for next year. We enjoy the magic of Disney, and we feel young, relaxed and happy there. We travel several times a year and have been to Europe many times, have cruised to most of the Caribbean islands, have been to Canada, Mexico, and several countries in Central America, but we also keep going back to WDW.

no not true its for all ages and for us you never want to grow up lol

we spend our honeymoon in WDW and then later the same year we went back for a week and we are in our 30's

i have alway and will always love and go to Disney and once we have kids it just another reason to go :cool1::cool1:

i think disney goes a great job to entertain all ages. MK i think is aimed more to kids while i think epcot is aimed more towards other with the exploration of all the countries and all the things that kids may just not find interesting..

Oh goodness, no! I find that a lot of people have the misconception that Disney in general is just for little ones; I've also found that those same people either a) have never experienced the Disney parks or b) have experienced at least one and found that, for whatever reason, it wasn't for them. No harm done as everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

What I don't appreciate though as those people who make senseless comments about traveling to WDW and I've had more than my fair share of them considering that we go twice each year.

I grew up going to Walt Disney World, almost literally. My first trip was at 6-months-old and from that point forward my family went twice each year until I turned 17. Those trips consisted of my grandparents, parents, aunt, brother and me, and we all enjoyed it for different reasons. We also did a lot of bonding during those vacations which, to me, is probably the key aspect of any vacation. It's about spending time with the ones you love in a place that makes you happy.

For us, we traveled the world but WDW was our main staple. It was what we enjoyed and still enjoy; it encompasses rides, shows, education. I find that WDW is a very well rounded place for people of all ages, and a place where the majority of people can and will find something that they like.

As a high schooler and a member of the theatre community, I love Disney. My friends love Disney, my director loves Disney. We watch Disney movies together and encase ourselves in the company. Sometimes I get the feeling that some people don't think it's appropriate and it's "just for kids". I've tried to think of ways to explain this to adults that look down upon it and explain that I'm not the only teenager who enjoys Disney, and in fact that adults enjoy it a lot - maybe even more so than the kids sometimes! So - why does everyone of all ages in YOUR family enjoy Disney? Isn't it common among friends? I want to hear your voice! Xo

DH & I are grandparents, but we are still 'little kids' at Disney! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter