Is Disney contributing to childhood obesity?

Disney? No. We are all making choices.
Parents and kids can choose to make healthy choices. They also don't have to "clean their plate".
A little balance is important in life. A week at Disney every year or other year isn't the core problem. ::yes::

That was way too much to read.

However, the only one contributing to childhood, or any other stage of life, obesity, is one's self (or parent). Disney isn't forcing your child to finish their meal, and they can order off the children's menu even if you've paid for the DDP...and you don't have to get the DDP. 10 is the DDP adult age because 10 is the adult ticket age. It's about the dollar, not the food.

No, Disney is not contributing to childhood obesity. First, realize that most kids never even go to Disney or they go once in their lives, certainly not 30 like your children. So, the point is moot in that regard. Second, none of us are required to eat a specific amount of food or a specific kind-that is on the people making the choices while on vacation.

I don't know that I would say they're contributing to childhood obesity, but I do think it's crazy to call a 10 year old an adult. We stopped getting the dining plan years ago, we prefer to just order what we want which may be a salad and appetizer instead of an entree, prefer an ice cream walking around the park to dessert with out meal, etc..

I agree on the 10 year old adults. But it is what it is..... a money grab. Nothing else (especially with the buffets).

My son hit six feet tall just before he turned 10 years old. The children's menu was not enough. Feeding him was an adventure!

I thought my son was huge being 6 foot tall at 12.

Sorry, I don't see how the food he ate was Disney's fault. There are plenty of healthier options on the adult menu that he didn't want. You got a less than amenable server who wouldn't let your child order off the kids menu and I'm sure than affected how you feel about the meals and dining plan. But I've heard plenty of restaurants outside of Disney who won't let people over the age allotted on the menu order off the kids menu.

Lot of good points on this thread - at the end of the day it is about personal responsibility (or responsibility of the parents in the case of kids) IMO

As for the topic of this thread - most people spend 5-7 days on a Disney vacation...unlike this board most don't go every year or two...so I personally dont think Disney is really contributing to the problem the way a chain does...unless you consider when Disney promotes meals at these chains with a toy of some sort..and even then ...personal responsibility

You don't have to order one meal per person. Get one "adult" meal and split it, either between the kids or you and one of your kids. At quick service, order off the kids menu if you want. At some places you can get a kids meal, but then pay for the "adult" drink (some kids meals include a drink in the price).

The only time I felt forced to clean my plate at Disney was at Prime Time and that was so my "Cousin" wouldn't scold me for not eating all my veggies. ;)

Last edited:
A few things:
1. I agree that it is absolutely ridiculous to consider a kid and adult at 10.
2. I don't think it has anything to do with obesity. For our kids, we've always been clear that they don't need to finish what's on their plates. My 7 year old (oy! close to an 'adult') sometimes eats more then me. Other times, he barely eats. I see fewer character meals when he is 10.

I agree, to a point. Parents are responsible for teaching their kids restraint and healthy choices, but restaurants should also be held to account once in awhile, particularly when their practices are subtle or insidious. Adding sugar, for example, to breading, so you get the addictive combination of fat and sugar that makes food irresistible, or marketing directly to kids. Honestly, I feel sometimes that if we don't allow Joe the Camel to advertise cigs to kids, we shouldn't allow Ronald McDonald either.

Kinda, sorta agree with some of this. Do restaurants add sugar and/or fats? Sure, but I'd argue that's due to customer demand, not some conspiracy. If nobody wanted a double...no wait, triple...cheeseburger with bacon and 13 slices of cheese, nobody would sell them. I don't think sugar or fat are addicting, it's just a personal choice to eat them in certain portions. In fact, I would say many restaurants, including WDW places, do a better job than they did 20 years ago. When I was growing up, which was more than 20 years ago, if I went to McDonalds, my choices were a burger and fries. That's pretty much it. Now, I can order a grilled chicken salad. Same with WDW. They have food choices they didn't have all that time ago. However, people still glance right past the grilled chicken and go for the double deep fried.

I'm not ranting against anything that's junk food and saying nobody should ever eat any. I allow myself one cheat meal a week, and you'd be amazed what I can put down in that meal. But the rest of the time, I make the choice to eat well. But the problem comes in when people allow that cheat meal to be breakfast, lunch and dinner.

During this most recent trip we did do a few table service meals around lunch time to get out of the heat. One of those was 50's Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios. My eleven year old cried when it was time to order, he wanted to order off the kids menu and was told no because "you are not a kid, you are too old" but that they would bring him an adult portion of the mac and cheese he wanted. He is my Peter Pan Neverland boy and loves being a kid and hates the idea of being an adult, so to have his most favorite place on earth tell him he is not kid anymore near broke his heart. So my eleven year was served an extra large portion of the mac and cheese with no healthy sides (that a kids meal comes with) and we were charged over double what the kids meal cost

I skimmed as it was too long and all over the place.

I am guessing that the portion I quoted is what set you off. If this is the case, my suggestion would be to write directly to WDW, with just the facts of the server telling your child he could not order off the kids menu and let them know you where unhappy with the age cut off for ordering from the kids menu. Just stick to the facts of the occurrence and not your philosophies. Posting here might get it off your chest, but really does nothing.

Truthfully, I think all menus should just get away from Adult vs Kid Menus. They can offer food in various sizes and then you can decide what you want. I know that many time my parents would have to order my sister and I food from the adult menus since we did not like the options on the kids menu. I also know that many places, my mom would like something simple from the kids menu.

My sister and I ordered kids meals well into our tween years. My ravenous brother started ordering adult meals at 8. All things you can do at Disney. I wouldn't suggest the DP for you. Besides the fact that the 10+ would have to order an adult portion, you would also not approve of the dessert (or appetizer) that comes with every meal.

Pay OOP instead of buying the DDP.

Pretty much this. You child wasn't forced to eat an adult sized kids meal, you had several ways out that you either chose not to take or weren't aware of.

We have never done the DP, and this is part of why I hate it. Even if we had free dining, I'd rather pay OOP for a kids meal that my kid would actually eat.

I ordered kids meals almost the entire trip. I shared with my 5 year old sometimes. I think maybe it's because it was 50s Prime Time they were hassling you for the "joke?"

And no, the only people who can be blamed for their children's obesity are the PARENTS. Good grief!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter