• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is dinng plan worth it?

mhp8982

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at packages and thinking we would go with the 2nd one. 1 quick service, 1 table service, 1 snack and a souvenir mug. That way we can go to the nicer restaurants and character meals once a day. We will be there 6 days.. It added about $600 to our package...for all of us. It does include my son even though he will be 1 turning 2.. His birthday is in the middle of the trip! So his tickets were free. But does it still allow him to eat?

Children under 3 are free - but if you want them to have their own meal, you pay for it. They can eat at buffets for free and they can eat off your plate at a regular dinner. You just can't order them something for themselves without paying for that.

To find out if free dining works for you, you can either try to do the math yourself or you can download the excel file that folks at See Ya Reel Soon have. Just do a Google search for "free dining calculator" and it's the top pick. There's also a forum that has a link to it if you feel better searching the forums.

Yes, use the calculator linked in my signature. Spoiler alert: the dining plan will most likely be a rip-off. If it actually ends up saving you money, it will be peanuts and not worth the hassle.

Yes, use the calculator linked in my signature. Spoiler alert: the dining plan will most likely be a rip-off. If it actually ends up saving you money, it will be peanuts and not worth the hassle.

You know, I almost said to search for one of your posts, but didn't want you to think I was stalking you. :eek:

For us, it depended on the length of stay. If we were staying 4 days, it was cheaper to pay oop. If we stayed 6 days, it was SLIGHTLY cheaper to do dining plan. But yes, the difference was not huge. I have a feeling it depends on how many kids you have though as to when your days for breaking even will happen.

I think if we broke even on FD, I'd probably do it just for the convenience factor of having my food pre-paid for and not feeling like I should go for the cheaper menu item just to be "good" when I could get the more expensive item and have a better dining experience.

Dining plan has always saved us money. Over $100 and if there is free dining during our stay it has saved us over $1000. It really depends on where you like to eat. There is an actual calculator on the restaurant threads that lets you factor in everything.

Worth is subjective. If you are one who likes the All inclusive feeling of prepaid dining and doesn't mind paying for items you may or may not utilize in order to have that all inclusive feeling it will be worth it for you. For my family we have decided unless it is free dining it is not "worth it" to pre-purchase dining. While we typically spend a nearly identical dollar amount for OOP versus dining plan we are able to get exactly what we want without any restrictions place on our choices. If we want a appetizer and no dessert it is no problem. If we feel like paying a dollar for a banana versus using a snack credit I am not thinking that buying a 4.00 item would have been a better use of that snack credit instead of getting the banana I really wanted. So again worth is subjective. Now the thing I have found is most people who "save" use the calculator to add up exactly item for item OOP and dining plan costs. Real life eating doesn't always mimic dining plan allotments and that is where OOP can be a savings.,.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Worth is subjective. If you are one who likes the All inclusive feeling of prepaid dining and doesn't mind paying for items you may or may not utilize in order to have that all inclusive feeling it will be worth it for you. For my family we have decided unless it is free dining it is not "worth it" to pre-purchase dining. While we typically spend a nearly identical dollar amount for OOP versus dining plan we are able to get exactly what we want without any restrictions place on our choices. If we want a appetizer and no dessert it is no problem. If we feel like paying a dollar for a banana versus using a snack credit I am not thinking that buying a 4.00 item would have been a better use of that snack credit instead of getting the banana I really wanted. So again worth is subjective. Now the thing I have found is most people who "save" use the calculator to add up exactly item for item OOP and dining plan costs. Real life eating doesn't always mimic dining plan allotments and that is where OOP can be a savings.,.

I agree with this and will add that it really depends on your eating habits as well. We are a family of 4 and do not eat large meals more than once a day normally so cereal (we bring with us) in the morning is plenty and we usually do CS for lunch 3 meals for 4 of us. Then have one larger dinner. For us it is less expensive to go OOP and we don't like having to plan our dinner locations 180 days out. We usually book a few reservations in the park we plan to be in and then just play it by ear the rest of the time.

If you like to have character and signature meals during your stay, the DDP may actually save some money. Also remember that tips are no included in the meal plan as well so you will be paying something OOP regardless.

Good luck deciding. I would add up the meals you plan to have and compare the cost to the DDP.

I've been struggling with the idea of getting a dining plan or not. For a family of 3, a little girl that is not a big eater and in fact we are just snack throughout the day kind of people.....would anyone have an recommendations?

Is it worth it depends what you value. Is it less expensive? Yes it is. Is it less convenient? Yes. Why don't they just give you a flat 20% off of dining in a package? Because this way makes you commit to buying a certain amount of food. Are you ready for that commitment? It never pays for me; for others it does. But I don't even buy bulk. That's how afraid of commitment I am.

Really only you can decide if it's worth it. 3 summers ago we did DxDP. And actually saved a lot of money. My strategy was character meals for breakfast, and signature dining for dinner. We ate breakfast around 9ish each morning, used our snacks for mid- late afternoon, took our own water bottles into the park- and ate dinner later 730-800ish. Did it again on the fall and saved a little. Did it again (but regular DDP ) in jan And DH and I and broke even. In January DD was not on the plan because we added her the day before we came and paid OOP for her. Had she been on the plan we probably would have lost because she's now a Disney adult whereas before she was a child. My best advice is look at where you want to eat (all ears.net and the Disney site) figure what you think you'll order and use one of the spreadsheets listed above . Will I use it again ? Probably. I like the all inclusive aspect. But I am the type to try and work it to my advantage . You'll see others tell you to stay away. But for them it's a hassle, or really doesn't work for their family. My strategy works for us at Disney because during the day we go, go, go, and don't really stop to rest till late. Others can't/don't do that because it doesn't work for them. That's honestly why you'll get many answers because what works for some does not work for others.

I've been struggling with the idea of getting a dining plan or not. For a family of 3, a little girl that is not a big eater and in fact we are just snack throughout the day kind of people.....would anyone have an recommendations?

Check to see if the quick serve plan would work for you. really you'll have to research to figure out if it will. Personally I Couldn't do quick serve because I don't care for quick service for every meal. 1 or 2 would be my limit. But the regular DDP may work. One sit down , 1 snack , and one quick serve a day may be all you need. Remember that you can mix and match your credits. ie: 2 snacks and 1 sit down one day, 2 counters services the next .....

Each family really needs to do the math.

I've done the math. For my family, the DDP is worth it, both in terms of finances and conveniences. That may or may not be the case with you.

It really depends on your family. For us it works but mainly because my husband has a big appetite (he's 6'7" and it takes a lot to keep him going) so he tends to finish anything I don't eat or the kids don't eat. The kids selection tend to be on the limited side but if you look you can find more than chicken nuggets and fries. We tend to get the fruit and take it with us for later. So I wish but was a bit different - sure I would live to get an app instead of dessert- but not enough to not get it.
My sister u traveling with us the next trip. She is not gettin ddp but all three of her kids will be adults and they are going to universal a few days.

My recommendation is OOP. a dining plan purchase only allows 1 snack a day.

The other thing about commiting to the regular or above dining plan is time. 1 1/2 hours-3 hours (Cat Cora restaurant) per table service. It is a side note but worth noting if you are trying to get more TS included in your dining plan. A character meal in the morning 1 1/2 (buffet) and a signature at night 1 1/2 plus a quick service lunch (45 minutes) and time is slip slipping away......without a dining plan skipping a meal or pushing it to a different slot (brunch, dunch) no big deal but dining plan is a use it or lose it deal.

Again we do like free dining but we won't pay for a dining plan.

We are one of the 'it saves peanuts' portion - but for US we don't find it a hassle. (essentially our mugs are free) We are staying on site, and will eat on site. By having the set number of meals our family is less likely to add on extra meals (ie: buying a QS for the 2 year old who will in turn eat only 1/4 of it, buying extra snacks and drinks, adding appetizers and desserts). We don't feel limited - but for us it helps keep the extra's in check.

We just finished a 9 night stay at Disney and for the 2nd year in a row it did save us some money. We are a family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids) and tend to do a lot of character meals and buffets so we end out ahead on the kids portion of things.

That being said I have done the math and next year will be our last on the dinning plan as after that my oldest will count as an adult. Once that happens the math no longer works for how we dine.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm thinking it will be good for us possibly because we will be there 6 nights...and we want to do lots of character meals. And I like that you can basically pick whatever you want off the menu without worrying about price.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm thinking it will be good for us possibly because we will be there 6 nights...and we want to do lots of character meals. And I like that you can basically pick whatever you want off the menu without worrying about price.

Picking anything off the menu and character meals are the main reasons I'd go with the dining plan. Not feeling like you have to be frugal on vacation is a real plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter