Is Delta crazy?

Ambifins

Mouseketeer
So, on the same day that Southwest released great Ding fares (from Hartford to MC0 and back, $45.00 each way), Delta RAISED their one way ticket price to $170.00!!
Delta had better times for me (esp. returning), but I couldn't justify 125 dollars extra for each ticket--just for a one extra hour in the parks.
I just think someone at Delta (and the other airlines) would keep an eye on what SW was doing, and try to--if not match--at least stay in the same vicinity.

Delta is a legacy carrier; SW is a low cost carrier

Legacy carriers and low cost carriers have completely different business models and different customer bases.

Most business travelers avoid SW because of the lack of an elite program (first class) and no assigned seats. Delta has a big elite program.

Also, a lot of pax won't fly Southwest because they don't offer specific seat assignments.

Delta might not have raised their fare but rather their quoted fare went up automatically because at that moment the last seat in the next lower booking class was sold.

Delta could come back and tweak their seat allotments at any time to produce lower quoted fares.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

If you use Farecast and similar systems, they had predicted that airfares would rise on 4/4. I'm assuming this is based on some inner algorythym they know and John Q. Public doesn't.

As far as fare sales, Delta, Jet Blue, and others in the North/South East coast market are due to release their May/June sales any day now. That release should bring prices back in line.

You know I noticed that one day when SW did a ding.. but later on in that day.. Delta ran a special.. it seemed like just for a couple hours if not that long... and it was cheaper than SW.. so we are taking Delta.. which is better.. b/c they will take your luggage from the resort when you are leaving Disney World.

I understand the elite/legacy and apples/oranges analogy. Still, it seems to me that Delta has been trying to operate as a lowcost carrier, esp. in secondary markets like Hartford. Song seemed to me a particular example.
When I checked seat assignments for the Delta flights, many of the $170 flights were almost completely empty. My major concern at that point was the flight would be cancelled (which Delta has been known to do).
I missed the special offered by Delta (shoot!), but I also believe that the price will drop down to be more in line with what SW is offering.

Song WAS Delta's attempt at a low cost carrier. It failed. Delta is now back to using the legacy carrier model, but isn't making enough adjustments to that model to succeed.

United emerged from bankruptcy successfully by focussing on the business traveller. They actually have HIGHER fares on most routes yet the planes are full and they are no longer bleeding money.

Delta needs to find its own 'niche' in order to succeed. Lowering fares isn't going to help.

Given the price of jet fuel we could change the question and ask if SW is crazy offering R/T flights for not much more than $100.

DING fares are only offered for a very limited period of time and increasinly are being used to sell seats on off peak flights. I wouldn't expect other airlines to match DING fares.

I don't know the dates you were looking at but most business travelers book within 30 days. So if the dates are more than 20 to 30 days out, Delta is probably not concerned about empty seats.

Just had to add that despite having more than enough miles for r/t international tickets (2 accounts) on Delta and
literally spending MANY hours on the phone and internet, we NEVER
have gotten any where NEAR the dates or times or anything resonable to even use them.
Of course if you're willing to have layovers, double flight times, using double miles ....Delta might be worth it to some but personally
I'd rather take a shot at grabbing an "A" pass on Southwest at the 24 hour mark to grab a seat then get so frustrated and try to plan 300+ days out for a vacation and STILL not get the seats! It really is CRAZY and Delta knows it but does nothing.
So, the miles still sit and will likely be donated......again.
Personally, its
SOUTHWEST ALL THE WAY for us!!

Unfortunately, that is the situation on all the legacy carriers. It's almost impossible to use frequent flyer miles to a popular destination. I checked USAir on the first day my December dates came out (330 days) and all they had were the 50,000 mile seats. I don't think they ever had the 25,000 mile seats. For a vacation traveler, you are better off with SW.

So, on the same day that Southwest released great Ding fares (from Hartford to MC0 and back, $45.00 each way), Delta RAISED their one way ticket price to $170.00!!
Delta had better times for me (esp. returning), but I couldn't justify 125 dollars extra for each ticket--just for a one extra hour in the parks.
I just think someone at Delta (and the other airlines) would keep an eye on what SW was doing, and try to--if not match--at least stay in the same vicinity.

I have noticed that none of the other airlines really even try to match the DINGS. And that's probably a wise decision. SW is selling for BELOW cost (they may be low cost, but they are not that much lower then anyone else now)

DL is not crazy. DL is trying to stay in business. I agree with Lewis, SW may be the crazy one here. If you get paid less then cost then eventually you run out of CASH!

I actually have a lot of success using my FF miles, but I rarely try for MCO. For the prices you can get flights to there it doesn't make sense. I just used 25,000 DL miles last weekend to go to Boston. The cheapest I could have purchased that ticket for was about $500.

One of the main reasons Southwest is able to offer such low fares is that a few years ago they were able to purchase jet fuel in the futures market for prices a little more than what they were back then. This allowed them to lock in yesterday's prices and use the fuel today. This fuel hedging they did has been the envy of the industry and has paid off handsomely for them. Unfortunately, most of these contracts will be expiring in the next couple of years. The legacy carriers couldn't do this because these contracts require them to pay cash for them. They weren't able to afford paying for both of their current fuel needs and their fuel needs years into the fuel. This is why they are paying for fuel now at market rates and Southwest isn't and able to offer better fares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter