Is DDP worth it if you just do Breakfast TS?

mrsr2ro

Mouseketeer
I was trying to figure price comparison on this ...

I'm in the early stages of planning my next trip - will be my parents, my 2.5yo daughter and I. I'm figuring we will just do Character breakfasts, snack through the day, then QS for dinner. But running some rough numbers, since the breakfast TS are the cheapest - I'm not sure if the DDP is the best route to go.

Thoughts?

I agree the dining plan is probably not cost effective if you're really set on breakfasts. I just don't see how you could make DDP come out even just doing breakfasts...if you're paying in the $26 range for breakfast (don't know what the breakfast buffet prices are next year, but I know some we've had this year were $22, some were $25). Anyway, if the plan is costing you $46 a day...you'd have to get counter service & snack to add up to $20. You could do it, but you'd really have to make a point of going to the most expensive counter service places & always ordering the more expensive dinners, too. And the most expensive snacks...again you'd have to really shop around to get the most expensive snacks, or you're losing money. Which you could do, but again would be kind of a pain to have to do that to get your money's worth.

We did all character bkfst....family of 5, 3 adults 3 kids ran about 120.00 each time! I like the dining plan because I then do not have to worry about what everything costs everytime I eat. :goodvibes
We are not huge eaters-but everything is SO pricey!

Even with the price increases you might just break even.

Here's an example:

CP breakfast buffet is 28.75 after tax for adults and 1900 PF is 26.62 (non peak pricing)

With that being said you'd have about 16 dollars remaining, so let's suppose you always get a $4 snack, then that would leave $12 dollars for your quick service meal. If you order the most expensive entree (at places like Cosmic Rays, Sunshine Seasons, Flame Tree, etc) or pretty much anything on the WPE menu then you'd probably be ahead just because of the dessert and drink that it comes with. If you're not much of a dessert person, or don't typically order those more expensive entrees then it's not really worth it.

But like a previous poster said, definitely it is convenient, and I also like the fact that I'm not always worrying about how much things cost!

Definitely doable, but it's definitely a YMMV situation! enjoy!

If you want to do the DDP then why not do character lunches and dinners instead of breakfasts? You could do QS breakfast then snacks and a late lunch/early dinner character meal.

Perhaps the logic is that breakfasts may be easier with a little one. Here's a been there done that perspective.

When we went with DS4 and DD2.5 we always had breakfast in the room (brought dry cereal from home, granola bars, cereal bars, pop tarts, juice boxes, also brought paper bowls, plastic spoons and got a half gallon of milk at the resort).
We then did an early QS lunch about 11:30 and a TS dinner between 4:30-5:30. This kept us ahead of most restaurant crowds, gave us just enough food to keep going without being too stuffed, allowed us to go back to the resort for naps, gave us a break from the parks.
Now we did a few TS breakfasts & lunches when that worked best for our park plan, but mostly did dinner. I find the food to be better at dinner and I prefer a larger meal in the evening.
After dinner we'd spend few hours in the parks then head back for bed.

Perhaps the logic is that breakfasts may be easier with a little one. Here's a been there done that perspective.

When we went with DS4 and DD2.5 we always had breakfast in the room (brought dry cereal from home, granola bars, cereal bars, pop tarts, juice boxes, also brought paper bowls, plastic spoons and got a half gallon of milk at the resort).
We then did an early QS lunch about 11:30 and a TS dinner between 4:30-5:30. This kept us ahead of most restaurant crowds, gave us just enough food to keep going without being too stuffed, allowed us to go back to the resort for naps, gave us a break from the parks.
Now we did a few TS breakfasts & lunches when that worked best for our park plan, but mostly did dinner. I find the food to be better at dinner and I prefer a larger meal in the evening.
After dinner we'd spend few hours in the parks then head back for bed.

I see your points - and on our trip last year I had several 5pm dinners planned - but it was a bust for us. My DD who was 1 at the time had her nap schedule all messed up and a couple of times we had to wake her to make it to the dinner ADRs which really stunk. For our Ohana dinner - 4:45 ADR - my DS3 was tired from not getting a nap that day (long story) that he fell asleep right there at the table! :scared1:

So yes, for us, my thinking is that we're better off starting the day with the TS and then having the rest of our day be very flexible. Plus I love breakfast :cloud9: TH breakfast and 1900PF breakfast were my favorite meals last year. It's only going to be a 4 day trip next time-- if we skip DDP, I'll probably just do those 2 again. If we do the DDP and have 3 TS, then we'll do CP breakfast as well.

We are big snackers - never have had a problem using up our snack credits. For QS we do usually end up wasting the desserts since we find the meals themselves filling. Tough call... will have to think about it some more.

I wouldn't do it if I was only going to use TS for breakfast. It just doesn't make financial sense. Especially if you don't usually eat the dessert with a QS meal. I think it will cost more than you'll spend.

When you start your day everyone has more energy. You don't need a rest and you don't need a big breakfast. Use your snack credits for breakfast. We bring breakfast bars and such with us for B/F; so, the snack credits can be used for their best advantage in the morning. Being at the parks early morning is probably the best time to go and be productive with rides and attractions. It's also cooler and that can be an advantage depending when you go.

By early afternoon everyone likes a rest; so, a TS lunch will work nicely at the parks. You can do character lunches, as well. Use your dinner for QS at the park or at the resort. It will fit into a schedule very easily that way. You could even still fit in a nap for the little one at the resort and eat a QS dinner at the resort before heading back to the parks for the evening. It's hard for some kids to nap at the parks; too much stimulation is there.

This is how I see making the dining plan work in your instance. If you insist on B/F being your biggest meal I would skip the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter