Is DCL good for teenagers?

Momto8

Proud Grandmother to 19 Grandchildren!
I'm trying to convince my DH to take a cruise next June. We went on one many years ago and he's not crazy about them.

Anyways my question - would DCL be a good cruise line for teenagers? I've heard about how great they are for younger kids, but don't really hear much about teenagers and from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be as much for them on board as there is for the younger set. My 2 DDs will be 14 and 16 by the time we go.

For those of you who have teenagers and have done a Disney cruise or anyone else who can help me, should I go with Disney or would a cruise line like Royal Caribbean be better for teenagers? If I go with RC, I am looking at Navigator of the Seas or one of its sister ships, where they have the ice skating rink and rock climbing wall.

Please wish me luck in trying to convince my DH (he thinks that all you do on cruise ships is eat and get fat, which I guess you do!!). He's the very active type and that's why he likes WDW so much because we are on the go so much. That's why he's having a hard time with going on a cruise. He said if we go, we might do the land/sea, so we're not on the ship for 7 days. which I guess is better than nothing. But I prefer to do the 7 day cruise if I can convince him.

Any input is appreciated.

TIA!
:D

Momto8,

My DD (now 17) has had the time of her life on our DCL cruises. We first did the land/sea in 1999, and she was not old enough to be in the common grounds, but for the last 3 (2001, 2002, 2003) this is the vacation of her choice. We are going again Feb. 2004, and most likely this will be her last with college in the future. She has made many friends on DCL, in fact our upcoming cruise in February, we are bringing her friend that lives in New Jersey that she met on the cruise. I would vote for the 7 day though, if you go for DCL. I have never been on RCL, so I can't comment on their teen programs.

Robin ºOº

We went on the Disney Wonder this past Feb. & my 15 yr.old son loved it. We're going on the 4 Day Wonder in Feb. 2004 & then spending 3 Days @ WDW (the new Pop Century). My son still talks with the kids he met on the cruise (mostly girls, but he loved it!). As for RCL ,I've heard they have the inline skating thing & the rock climbing wall, but I still think DCL is a better atmosphere for teens. Cathie::MinnieMo

DCL is a great place for teenagers.
My son went 2x, he is now 20, my daughter has gone 3x, she is now 16. We are going again in January with our daughter and our niece both 16.(our niece's 1st Disney Cruise)
My daughter absolutely loves the Disney Cruises. If she could she would go every month.
We took our daughter and my niece on RCCL and they did not really enjoy it. My daughter said the activities and the atmosphere on Disney was much better.
Be prepared not to see much of them except for dinner. Once they get involved with the other teens on the ship they are gone, quite literally. We saw our daughter at dinner every night and other than that only in passing. Most nights we were in bed before she came in at night. They like to stay out late and we never worried too much because where are they going to go? And also there are crew members around at all hours of the day and night and they are used to teenagers hanging around at night.
My daughters vote would be for Disney instead of RCCL.

Robin

Our 14yo DD and 12yo DS have grown up with Disney almost in our back yard give or take 90 miles.
This past Easter, we went on our 1st 7 night cruise and the kids loved every minute of it. Our DS didn't link up with anyone onboard but it didn't seem to matter to him. As for our DD, she meet up with a LOT of other teens and had a blast. Like Cruisin'Kroezes said in their post, after we boarded, the only times we saw our DD was briefly in the morning, the evening show and dinner, and at port. Our last night onboard, she was so sad to bid farewell to all her new freinds. She has all of their IM names and still keeps in touch with them. She is meeting up with one of her freinds at WDW during the holidays.
If you were to ask our kids what is their opinion of Disney Cruises, it would be 2 Thumbs Up!!!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We did the land/sea 4 night on the Wonder when my DD was 13 and DS was 11. They loved it and asked to do it again.

We're going on the Magic in April and they'll be 14 and 16. They have been looking forward to it since we booked last winter. They enjoyed the parks but they just LOVED the cruise.

They really enjoyed their independence. I gave them a lot more freedom on the ship than when we stayed at the parks.

I'm sure your teens will love it! So will you!

Well, we've been on two Disney cruises and just cruised on the Voyager of the Seas this past August. My 3 boys all agreed -- Disney is waaaay better. My ds was 14 when we cruised on Disney in May 2002. He told me at the end of the cruise "I had the time of my life." They are all looking forward to our Disney cruise next June. HTH

We're about to embark on our 4th Disney cruise in a year and a half, so I guess my kids love it! My daughter, who is 15 nd a sophmore in high school has the time of her life and has met so many great friends on board. Like you've heard, the only problem is we see so little of her! My 13 year old son loves it just as much and all 3 can't wait until we cruise again in January. DCL does so much for all ages that I can't see cruising with anyone else anytime soon. I asked my kids if they wanted to try another cruise line and they all yelled very quickly "NO WAY"! Just make sure your teens are at the teen club on the first day and the first evening so they can meet everyone and they'll do just fine.

We just went on a cruise in August. My two teenagers who were 13 and 15 had a blast. I barely saw them while I was onboard.:Pinkbounc

I have never cruised with a teenager, but I saw plenty of them on both of my DCL cruises. Let me tell you, they appeared to be having the best time of anyone on the ship! They were everywhere and always seemed to be having a blast, especially on CC! Definitely go and take the teens, it will be a vacation that they will talk about for years!:teeth:

This makes me feel a lot better! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I think we'll stick with DCL instead of RCCL. I want something that will be good for my teens so that they'll have a great time.

I just got a quote from DU for about $5700.00 for a 7 night cruise in late June. Ouch!! Maybe it's better to go at another time of the year or does this sound about right for 4 in an outside cabin (no verandah)?

We have done 3 cruises with our kids. First time, DD was a teen, DS was too young and was in the kids club. Second time, both were in Common Grounds and HAD A BLAST. It actually helped their relationship. The first night they went down and were playing cards at a table. Other kids came up to them and instant friendship was formed - several guys, several girls. My son was automatically included in all their activities (which doesn't always happen with the younger sibling). Our third cruise was what DD selected for her high school graduation present (picked it over Hawaii, over visiting her best friend who had moved, over Europe). Guess that says she enjoyed the previous 2 cruises.

Anyway, what they did: dance parties, mid-night swims, "Gotcha" game, talent show, scavenger hunt, hang out at common grounds, take over Studio Sea for an evening, hang out at the pool, do a ships tour together.

The counselors have always been a good blend of authority figure and friend. Young enough that the kids relate to them but old enough that the kids respect them.

If I ever needed a selling point (which I don't think I do for my DS -16) I think you have all convinced him. My bigger problem is my 19 yr old DD and the 20 yr old BF who doesn't want to go because it's Disney. How can we convince him that it's not all that Disney if he doesn't want it to be? Can he avoid characters etc?

DCL is an awesome experience for teens...usually. I'm sure your sons will have a great time! Rose Greenthumb and I don't necessarily enjoy Common Grounds (now the stack on the Magic), but we still enjoy the ship. It's an excellent experience for kids of all ages, whether your 2 or 202!

My DS was 16 when we cruised and had the time of his life. There is some info on teen activities in the Cruise link in my sig below.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter