Is DC worth the $$ if you are not planning on swimming with the dolphins?

Cdn Gal

DIS Veteran
:confused3 Has anybody just gone to DC to just swim with the fish and sting rays? Is it worth the $$? We are not planning to go to Seaworld or Acquatica. Any advice? Thanks :thumbsup2

Depends on what you want.

Discovery Cove will not be crowded. You will be able to find lounge chairs on a nice sand beach. You can snorkel in the tropical reef with all the beautiful fish and feed the stingrays. You can swim in the lagoon pool and around the tropical river. You can watch and feed beautiful birds in the aviary. You can go see the "animal of the day" introduced by a staff member and chat with them.

You can get all the beer, drinks, and snacks you want at the snack bars. Continental breakfast and a reasonably nice lunch at the restaurant is included.

Now, for me, this was PLENTY to keep me happy all day (though I did do the dolphin swim as well). But I noticed that the place was starting to clear out around 3:00. A lot of people seemed to feel that an hour of swimming, an hour of snorkeling, and 15 minutes in the aviary was all they wanted. After they'd done their dolphin swim, they were looking around for more action and not finding it.

So I'd say that if you don't find the idea of the tropical reef and the aviary very interesting, that you might just as well hang out at your hotel pool or get in a car and drive to a beach.

Just wanted to add that if you aren't planning to go to Seaworld, that makes Discovery Cove much less worth the money because free admission to Seaworld for a week or two is included in your Discovery Cove admission.

I know that some of the people who left early on the day we went... the ones looking for more action... were heading right over to Seaworld. You could always plan to do that, combining Discovery Cove and Seaworld into one day if you get bored at Discovery Cove.

But if you're looking to get good value for the high price of Discovery Cove, I'd put some time at Seaworld into your itinerary.

Well, we did it with the dolphin swim, but even without it would have been a beautiful day.

I don't know when you are planning to go, but if it is during a time that is generally hot and you can pretty much count on getting a hot sunny day, I would say it would be worth it. We thought it was a wonderful way to have a 'down' day in the middle of a busy, hectic Disney trip! The kids really enjoyed the 'resort' beachy feel and we got a much needed rest. But we went first week of November and it was a cool, overcast day, so that was disappointing. If not for the dolphin swim portion I would have been upset at spending the money because of the lousy weather. But if it had been a beautiful sunny day I think the expense would be reasonable for what you get.

the place is very lovely and the food was also very decent. The drinks, however, I was disappoiunted in. It is only beer and malt beverages (for alcoholic) that are offered. I assume that the reason for this is because it is owned by Anheiser-Busch. I would have liked a mixed drink such as a Margarita or Daiquiri on the beach instead.

Hope this helps!

;) Thanks so much for the info! I told my husband that we would probably get a few replies!:goodvibes We just LOVE snorkeling and last year we went on the divequest at Epcot and it was well worth the money! So this year we thought that it would be cool to do a whole day of snorkeling. But $200 each is just sooo expensive!! Ugh!! I like the suggestion about heading over to Seaworld- that sounds like a good idea too! Thanks so much! ;)

I have done DC twice with dolphin swim. The second time, I could have cared less to swim the dolphins. It is just as relaxing and enjoyable to do the lazy river, sting rays, bird aviary and swim in the corral reel with colorful fish and huge sting rays!!!!

Charleyann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter