Is dance a sport?

Ms.Squeakers

<font color=red>♥ <font color=teal>Forget Diamonds
Well this question has popped up multiple times in arguments between me and my friends. I would like to know your opinion.

Is dance a sport?

I say it isn't. I mean yes it takes ability but I don't believe it has the potential to be called a sport. Half the time, you are judged by the costumes you are wearing instead of how much skill is involved. In fact i feel extremely bad because my friend wanted to be a competitive dancer because she was good, but didn't have the money for the dumb costumes that dancers are judged on. All she had was her ballet slippers a leotard some tights and some other dance shoes.

I think dancing has become ridiculous because its more of a "I spend millions of dollars each year Buying trophies and paying for dance lessons" instead of pure talent.

What do you think?

Discuss

It is because it's a competitive league to be the best

It isn't because like you said, it's a talent. Not everyone can be a good dancer *cough example right here cough*

The bigger question...what is your defenition of a sport?

Remember not all dancing is competitive, so not all of it is judged on flashy expensive costumes.

One of the best solos I ever saw at a dance competition was a girl in a plain black leotard/black tights. It was Hellen Keller inspired and she did the whole dance blind folded. Every competition she was at, even nationals, she always took home a big prize. Nothing about that dance costume was expensive or flashy.

Another thing to remember is dance is a profession. Just like baseball and football, one can become a professional dancer. And it is very hard to acheive the ability needed to be professional.

Any physical acticity that can become one's career is deffinatly a sport.

Heck yes it's a sport! Do u know how much time, commitment, and strength is needed for dance?

I think if you're competing against another team or, somebody else, I think it's considered a sport.

IMO, competitive dancing is a sport.
It depends on what your definition of sport is though.

YES!! I'm a dancer myself.

While I am not a competive dancer, I have been dancing for...well, this year is my 11th. Tap, ballet, and jazz. Not as easy as it looks. Takes a LOT of time and energy. Not all based on costuming, but poise, posture, grace, speed, rythem, clarity (tap), focus, etc.

Dance is absolutely a sport, and more. A sport is defined as: An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

There is training involved. Competing (just like football games). Skill is required.

I also say it is more because so much of dance is based on natural ability that you can't teach. You need to have stage presence and personality. You can give a football player exercises to make him more agile but you can never give someone exercises to make a personality.

Hah, yes, I am very defensive about dance. It means a lot to me.

Dancing, like in a dance class is not a sport. Competition team like I do, is a sport. We have tons and tons of training to do. Also, you are extremely wrong in your judgements about competitions. At competitions, the judges give you points on your skills. If you do the moves correctly, if you're sharp, if you're up to speed, if you have good facial expressions, and if you truly do look like you know you're dance. You get points off, if you do not do any of those things. And you are technically competing against other teams. You want higher points and higher rankings than them. So it's judged and competitive. That's why it's called COMPETITION team.
So yes it is a sport.

its judged so i say no its not a sport

Do you consider gymnastics a sport? They are judged. So is ice skating.
You also need to consider the type of dance. You can compete as a team, with a school, by yourself as a soloist. There's plenty.

Here are some amazing college and high school dance teams, at Nationals:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4LVI5I8cYvE&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kdXXr4P6j58&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kyhf89sHrMk&feature=related

We've had this thread at least 10 times, so I won't post my opinion again.

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yessss, dance is a sport.

And you need talent to be good at any sport. You're not going to get very far if you don't have talent.

its judged so i say no its not a sport

So is gymnastics and Ice skating and there sports I say yes it is as a dancer I do know it is as the saying goes If dance was easy it would be called football also the expense part is very expensive we spend about a $120 on each costume and on top of that my tution fees are VERY expensive aka we spend $40 a day for my dance lessons and currently i dance 6 days a week so we spend over almost a thousand a month on dance lessons but then you have to remember i want to be the best there ever is I train so hard then on that i will omit the competiton fees and travel fees are very expensive but all and all its worth it for me dance isnt for everyone but if you want it you can always find a way to get and thats what ive done i will say with everything else we have barely any money left after paying all our bills for my brothers fees for the sports he does and with fees that pop up its hard but we make it through and thats what we have to do so i can be the best and go to inernational comps to be the best

yeah i consider it a sport
it takes alot of practice and commitment to be good at it.
plus thousands of people worldwide dance competitively (sp)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter