• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is cruising in February a bad idea?

Lynn10too

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I'm new to the board, and I have a question. I want my family to go on a Disney cruise February 2016. However I'm worried that the water will be too cold and the weather might be bad. I've read some things on Cruise critic about some cruises not being able to dock at Castaway Cay, and the water being to cold for swimming. This will be my third cruise. The first time I went on the dream. my family was able to be on the christening because my sister was a journalist. It was January and even though the snow was up to my knees in Chicago when I got to the Bahamas it was 90°. I figured that February wouldn't be any different but now I'm hearing things that it gets really cold there that time of year. Has anyone ever gone on a February cruise to the Bahamas and was still fairly warm?

My last cruise was Feb 6 2015 and we were not able to dock at Castaway due to winds and waves. At Grand Caymen the water was really cold. With that said in 2013 I cruised in January and we were able to dock at Castaway. I felt the water in January at Castaway was very cold.

With the Caribbean you just never know.

We have sailed the past 3 years in February. The first two years the weather was terrific and last year was a little chilly but there were still a lot of people swimming @ Castaway Cay. We have never missed a day at Castaway Cay (knock on wood). Depending on the cruise you are almost guaranteed good weather the farther south you go. Last year St. Maarten and San Juan were hot (85 degrees plus). I agree that weather is always a risk but February has been kind to us. Good luck with your decision.

I have cruised for 4 times now in either January or February. We usually have great weather where we are at but are either chasing a bad storm or running away from it. That being said even with rocky ships we enjoy it and have never missed a day at Castaway Cay or other port. Only bad thing was stuff getting cancelled at Castaway Cay.

We've done the end of February and had good luck. This year we're doing mid-Feburary for school vacation. I think the temperature thing is all relative. We're from New England so a water temperature for the ocean here even in the dead of summer is still low 70s (on a good day!). Castaway Cay seemed extremely warm to us at the end of February although I know for others it is way too cold. We were definitely enjoying the island and swimming!

Majority of our Caribbean/Bahama cruises are Jan./Feb. We are Floridians and we think the weather is great. CC water is sometimes too cold for me but my husband swears once you get in its great.

This also happened to us on the Dream 2012. We are Floridians and love our tropical vacations, so we were a little disappointed that it was too cold and rainy to use the pool or Castaway Cay. It's just the typical weather for that part of the Atlantic during that time of year. We made up for it by eating, going to shows and movies, etc. I don't think I'll plan a cruise for that time of year again, but we definitely enjoyed the ship.

The Bahamas itinerary can be iffy as it has similar weather to Florida and can be very warm or somewhat chilly. It is hit or miss. The Caribbean cruises will usually have much, much warmer weather. We have cruised several times in Jan and Feb with mixed results. One time we could not get in the water at CC as it was too cold. but, what is too cold for one could be fine for another. Just go with the expectation that it might not be super hot. Either way we had a great time.

MJ

Let's talk about something safe like politics or religion? :).
Winds can be an issue at Castaway Cay, but the record cold water temperature in the region is 73. Swim season here starts when the water hits 68, so I consider that plenty warm enough to swim. We were on Castaway Cay on January 2 when the water was 75, and the air was 75. So it did feel cool when you were wet and out of the water, but in the water, it was plenty warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter