Is Coral Reef really what it's made out to be?

Glad most of the reviews here have been positive thus far. We have an ADR this Oct. and it will be our first time trying CR! Should I request a table by the window or on the top level. We are a mid 20's couple! Also are there tables for two by the tank?
I would ask to have one on the lower level. Even if it's not right by the window, they have 1/2 booths on the lower level that you can sit at and face the tank. It think the tables are for four, but I have seen just two people sitting at them. I personally have sat on the upper and lower levels, and like the lower better.

We really enjoyed the food too!:goodvibes

My family is dinning there next week for dinner. This is our third time and the past meals were very good! Love looking at the fish and our kids think it's really cool!

We LOVED the food there. I had fish, and never thought about the fish in the aquarium. I was a little disappointed in our view of the aquarium (we were in the third row). The kids really wanted to be closer. Also, there was no diver while we were there.

Coral Reef is my favorite restaurant at Walt Disney World. The atmosphere is so awesome (it does get a little loud at times though.) I also think the food is very good. I have sat in the tables for two that are right up against the tank, in the booths on the first (lowest) tier and on the second tier. By far the best view in my opinion is from the booths on the first tier. But they are all good views. We never experienced any "crowding" sometimes a person would come up and take a picture and go back to their seat but this was not a problem.
Probably the only "negative" thing that has happened to us while at Coral Reef was last December during lunch when we were seated right up against the tank -- a group of divers was in the tank swimming around, must have been one of those tours they offer. A teenage diver noticed my fiance looking up into the tank from our table and gave him the finger! Kind of funny really, but not appropriate!

We ate there in May - sat at the top tier and didn't have a great view. But still we loved the atmosphere. The food however, was another story. No one enjoyed the food. We will be back in Oct but only because we have a diver and a cake coming for DS birthday. Otherwise we'd pass this trip.

Sorry to butt in on this post.... (didn't want to create another just for this)... but Can you tell me snowdrift...Where do I call to have a diver with a sign for DH's b-day? And we are going in August, already have an ADR... but what are the chances of getting a diver? Is it to close to get one? We are there for lunch if this matters at all. Thanks

Sorry to butt in on this post.... (didn't want to create another just for this)... but Can you tell me snowdrift...Where do I call to have a diver with a sign for DH's b-day? And we are going in August, already have an ADR... but what are the chances of getting a diver? Is it to close to get one? We are there for lunch if this matters at all. Thanks

Everything you need to know is in this thread: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1494565

I would definitely ask about getting a diver, you never know if one is available or not. Also, the diver is only available at certain times of the day (don't know when your adr is) You can still get the personalized menus either way. Call Debbi (number is on that thread). SHe is awesome and will take care of everything!

Everything you need to know is in this thread: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1494565

I would definitely ask about getting a diver, you never know if one is available or not. Also, the diver is only available at certain times of the day (don't know when your adr is) You can still get the personalized menus either way. Call Debbi (number is on that thread). SHe is awesome and will take care of everything!

I am now running :cool1: over to the thread ... thank you so much. Didn't even know about the personal menu. I am so excited - I hope it works out.

I am now running :cool1: over to the thread ... thank you so much. Didn't even know about the personal menu. I am so excited - I hope it works out.

You're welcome! I hope everything works out beautifully for you!

I didn't know about the menu and diver either until I stumbled across that thread last year. Don't remember when exactly I did but it couldn't have been much earlier than June of 2007. I set it up for our early August '07 trip. I had a late dinner ADR already made when I discovered it. I called and made another lunch ressie just so I could get the diver. Then I called debbi and asked about it and there were no problems with the times or availability of the diver. My family was so surprised! It really made the trip extra special. I can't believe Coral Reef does all that for free.

(Oh and we ended up keeping both ADR's because we loved Coral Reef so much! :-)

Good luck!

We ate there in May - sat at the top tier and didn't have a great view. But still we loved the atmosphere. The food however, was another story. No one enjoyed the food. QUOTE]

This absolutely sums up my experience. I did love pudding though, and am tempted to give it another try just for that.

*Apologies for messing up the quote box!*

Can you tell me what this consist of?

If you set it up in advance you can e-mail Coral Reef photos and a message/poem/etc. they will put them on a paper Coral Reef menu and have them given to your party at the table. The actual food choices are exactly the same as the standard menu. This one is just personalized for your family with pictures and a message. This is free & so is the diver (holds a personalized sign for your family from inside the tank).

I called CR multiple times and left messages to get a diver and no call back yet. :worried: We are going in November so there is still time for us. I also called the dining number to ask about it and they said they don't do that there....hmmm.

We ate there in 05 and thought it was AMAZING. The food and atmosphere were out of this world. My girls can't wait to go back.

We ate there for lunch earlier this month and thought it was one of the best dining experiences of the trip! The food was great, we had seats in the booths on the first level and no one crowded (but we were there when the restaurant first opend for lunch) and the service was wonderful. We all enjoyed the menu...even my DD3 who ate the grilled fish/mashed potatoes/broccoli childrens menu choice like it was going out of style! The make your own ice cream sundae dessert choice was a hit with the kids too.

I surprised my parents and daughters with the diver and personlized menus and that was a big hit too. When I set it up I called Debbi (once) probably back in April and she called me back 3 or 4 business days later. She then gave me the info on how to email her the pictures and that was it. I didn't have to call and confirm anything or say a word when we arrived. It was just "magic!"

We just ate there a couple of weeks ago for our 15th anniversary dinner.

They did up the special menus for us, it was a surprise for my DH and they were wonderful. We sat right next to the tanks, and no one crowded around us to see. We had a pretty late seating so that may be why it did not seem loud to us at all. There were plenty of families there at the time though.

The food was wonderful, we had steak and it was tender and cooked perfectly. I am very fussy about my beef, and this was probably one of our favorite restaurants , the staff was wonderful as well, and will be going back again, and again, and again.

Enjoy your meal, I think you cant go wrong. :thumbsup2

We ate there this past Sept & had a great meal. The food was VERY GOOD - was easily the best steak I had on the trip. The atmosphere is very nice with the aquarium - we sat on the 2nd tier and could see everything just fine. Overall, we had a great experience and are looking forward to our ADR there this Sept.

We ate there this past March. Yes the food was pretty good but not much of it. It was quite costly and not worth the amount of food you got. We also sat on the 2nd tier and could see the fish tank well. Service was wonderful. Just wish they could of put more food on the plates, or lower the prices.

DH and I have eaten there once. We had a seat against the tank, and yes, people were really rude. We could understand the kids pushing in, but there were some adults who were just as bad. DH was so annoyed, he pushed his chair out as far as possible behind him to keep the people back. We personally think a seat in the second row would be better because you can see the tank well, without all the pushing. I enjoyed my meal very much. I had a steak. DH did not care for his, but he is a very picky eater.

Overall, I wouldn't mind going back, but I think it will take some convincing to get DH to go again.:rolleyes2

We had a table for 2 right next to the tank on christmas eve a couple years back and had absolutely no issues with people crowding around or being rude. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

We went for lunch in April 2007 (on the DDP) and enjoyed the atmosphere. We were not right next to the tanks tho' and were glad of it since we did see many families crowded out by people coming to look at the seas turtles. The food was not bad, but I was certainly glad we were on the dining plan and not paying full price. I think it's definitely worth doing once for the experience, but it's not on our list of must dos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter