Is Closing A Waitlist For Direct Purchases Manipulating Resale Prices?

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
I have to wonder if by closing the waitlist for direct purchases is Disney manipulating resale prices?
Why couldn't they just leave it open? Has anyone noticed resale prices increasing because of this? Is VGF the only resort with a closed waitlist? What happens if Disney decides to close all waitlist in the future? Could this be the tool they use to artificially increase resale prices so they are closer to " direct" pricing?

VGF, BCV and GCV are all closed wait lists as of I believe May of this year.

I'm not sure they are manipulating resale prices, though it's an interesting question. The last tidbit I heard from somebody via their guide was that VGF was at about ten year wait (so in reality, I'd figure like a year lol), so maybe they just want to manage expectations.

I personally don't think that they care much about resale prices. In fact, if resale prices were lower, they would have good reason to buy back more to fulfill the waiting lists for those three resorts, while currently the margin is not high enough for them to ROFR most of those.

There has been a fairly significant increase in VGC asking prices since the wait list closed.

These are small resorts and Disney is unlikely to buy back many contracts if at all because the margins just are not there. It wouldn't take too much interest to have really long wait lists. I think closing it rather than putting people on a list that isn't moving is fairer and more honest.

I have to wonder if by closing the waitlist for direct purchases is Disney manipulating resale prices?
Why couldn't they just leave it open? Has anyone noticed resale prices increasing because of this? Is VGF the only resort with a closed waitlist? What happens if Disney decides to close all waitlist in the future? Could this be the tool they use to artificially increase resale prices so they are closer to " direct" pricing?
I wouldn't think so, maybe the opposite. It might push people to resale or to buy at other resorts, likely a little of both.

IMO the evidence proves that DVD only cares about the current active resorts and only they know why. Could be a funding issue, a requirement that the sell out by a certain date, some type of bonus if sold by date.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter