Is Christmas "too crowded" to enjoy??

OP - thanks for asking this question.
We just got back 2 weeks ago and are planning our next trip for Dec 23-30, 2008. DNephew will have just started HS, so for us missing school is not an option.

Okay - so it will be PACKED! At least it won't be 100 degrees w/ 8000% humidity like this last trip was.

My family and I were just at WDW ( stayed at WL) in June and had the time of our lives, everything was excellent. When we got back I got started on planning our next vacation in WDW, mainly because my DH was much more pliable after returning from such a fun trip!!! We decided on Christmas 2008 so we could really save up and have a big blow out vacation next year. I booked courtyard room with the bunk beds at WL and I was super happy to think we are heading back....The problem lies in the fact that I have been reading a lot about the crowdedness of WDW during the Christmas week, about parks not allowing any more guests to enter and frankly I am scared that I may have picked a bad time. Is Christmas too crowded for a family of 4 with two little ones, aged 4 and 8 (next year)??? Am I better off with going in the summer??? Any opinions?? Help!!!:confused3

It depends.

I would never, ever go the week of Christmas if my intent was to do a "typical" WDW vacation. If you're looking for a "commando" type trip, where you are out to experience as many attractions as possible, and really "do" the themeparks as your fucus......you're going to have a lousy time going the week of Christmas. Well, maybe not a LOUSY time, but you're likely not going to be satisfied with the trip.

HOWEVER, if you go with the right mindset....and go to sort of experience WDW at the holidays, take in the decorations, the parades, and all the "special" live stuff they do the week of X-mas (there's "streetmosphere" aplenty in all the parks), you'll have a GREAT time. There's so much "cool" stuff to see and do (Osbourne Family lights, Candlelight processsional (BOOK A DINNER PACKAGE AS SOON AS THEY'RE ANNOUNCED! :) ), checking out all the resorts) that won't involve waiting in huge lines.

One tip: Book meals early or late. One of the big issues we ran into with X-mas trips were that meal times were bedlam, and popular meal times were gridlock (ADR's or not) at most of the TS places.

Are there really 30-minute long bathroom lines??? I'm dying to know if that is really true!

We ran into a couple of VERY long bathroom lines (I'm not sure HOW long..we didn't wait in them) in MK....one at Cosmic Rays, and one at the "connection" of Frontier Land and Adventure Land. They snaked quite a ways out, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were 30 min long..but I can't say they were for sure.

Are there really 30-minute long bathroom lines??? I'm dying to know if that is really true!

Yep, At least the girls bathrooms were! :rotfl2: Why is it always the womens bathrooms? Anyway, to echo the other post. Christmas is a super crowded time, we did it one time and had an excellent vacation but you have to know what you're getting into. You will not get to do every ride and attraction, it's definitely a more laid back type of experience but IMO the decorations and specials made it extra special.

My DH also teaches HS (social studies) and we have been to WDW at Christmas every other year since 1999. This Christmas will make #5! Yes it is crowded, but we have a great time. In addition to heading to the parks early, we make ADRs and enjoy the atmosphere. We have stayed off property at Windsor Palms (twice) and this year will be at Windsor Hills. I strongly recommend purchasing TourguideMike to optimize being in the least crowded parks for this incredibly busy time of year. His website takes a lot of time to get used to -- but you could even enroll now for December 08.

Yep, no doubt it's crowded BUT I'd still recommend it!
The only thing you need to remember is just to relax - don't set yourself impossible targets of all you need to get done in a day. Enjoy the atmosphere, utilise Fastpass and EMH and book your ADR's.
Also I personally think the weather is fantastic at that time of year - last year it was in the mid-to-late 70s most days (although we have been Christmas's when it has been a lot colder). For us this means we can do a lot more park hopping and later nights as we're not drained from the heat and humidity.
Like the previous posters have said, just know what you're getting yourself into and you'll have a magical vacation :santa:

I see the consensus is that Christmas is crowded...I mean very crowded:scared: , but it is very, very, very much worth it. I am so excited to see WDW and Wl at Christmas...too bad I have to wait till next year!!!! :santa: :santa: :santa: I have a long time to prepare...just one question whatit TourGuide Mike and what can you do on his website. I love to plan and I would love a place to look at some options. That site sounded right up my alley...I am so crazy that I have already been planning my ADRs for next Christmas...my DH thinks I am nuts when I ask him where do you want to eat December 28, 2008...I just can't help it I am a planner:lmao:

I would recommend that you join Tour Guide Mike and follow his touring plans. They are the absolute best for Christmas/NYE. As others have said, plan to be at the parks when they open (7:00 AM!!), use your Fast Passes and get a new one ASAP and leave by about 2:00 and you'll have a perfectly good time.

I understand your dilemma...And I will tell you that I tried my best to read everything positive about going at Xmastime, and I did my darndest to believe it too...but when it came down down to it it was just plain miserable....Packed to capacity with human beings by noon each day. Plus..keep in mind that there are many countires that do not celebrate Xmas and are coming for New Years.... We were there 2 years ago Xmas and NEVER again. Not enjoyable, had to leave by 11 every day..(And I'm a huge Disney freak who knows many of the tricks) I really wanted it to be great. It was not, and it was a huge waste of money.

April break is much slower compared to Xmas. It was so bad at Xmas there were Disney employees actually directling you to keep left, 2 lanes of traffic coming and going. Good Grief.

If you listened you could actually hear the mooing. Save your $$. Go in April. And I really am sorry(honest!!!), especially if you're really trying to convince yourself that it wont be *that* bad. Oh yes it will.....

Reporting again from a teacher's wife perspective. Here in New England DH has an April vacation. Sometimes that's at Easter, sometimes it's not. My absolute worst crowd experience was in a April vacation that coincided with Easter. That's the season I won't visit WDW -- obviously I choose to at Christmas.

TourguideMike is a website that provides you with lots of information about WDW trip planning. It is not automated in that you put in your dates and a tour plan pops out, rather he provides you with a philosophy for maximizing your WDW experience. A specific feature is Least Crowded Parks which provides a day by day recommendation for morning and evening. It's about a $20 investment, which I think is well worth it. The site does take some getting used to before you find all the nuggets of info. Some people think everything is available here and on other Disney sites, but I have purchased the plan several times and will again. There is a link on the Theme Park and Attractions page at the top, as TGM is a DIS board sponsor.

Is Easter time nice too? That could be an option, plus it will be much sooner.

Tell me what your easter break dates are, and I'll look up the Unofficial Guide crowd calendar report for you. Even if its crowded, it will not be as crowded as xmas week--that one tops the charts.

I would definitely choose easter over xmas--just my opinion!
:thumbsup2

As another teacher we must travel during the busy times as well. However Christmas is not just busy it is NYC on New Years Eve...Wall to wall people. I don't think anyone mentioned that you will wait twenty minutes...to use the ladies room! The rides will have wait times of 120 minutes by 11 am. And the other poster who mentioned the CM's directing traffic....That is the absolute truth. My advice to anyone who asks is to avoid WDW between Christmas and New Years.

We are going again this December but not around the holidays. I am taking two personal days and making a Wed-Sun trip in mid- December. All the holiday magic....none of the crowds.

Other possible times when crowds are low and some teachers are off:

Last week in August.
Presidents Week (after the weekend)

Good Luck! I hope you can figure a way to visit WDW for a few days before the crowds arrive. If you do go during the holidays, take the excellent advice of the many posters here. I just wanted to chime in as one who would never consider spending the $$$ to wait and wait and wait.

WildernessBride--

The Unofficial Guides lists crowds from being 10 (worst) to 1. Although it is rare for a day to rate lower than a 3. That said, here are the crowd ratings for March 21-28 are 9 to 10.

So it looks like easter rates pretty high up there; but I don't think it will be as bad as xmas, since that is THE busiest week there.

Anyone have experience with easter week? How does it compare to xmas?

I do wonder about easter, I can't believe how high it is at that time. I am pretty much doomed to crowds whenever I go!!!!:sad2:

Just curious if the Christmas crowds die down say, Jan. 2 or so?

Hoping, crossing my fingers . . . .

Just curious if the Christmas crowds die down say, Jan. 2 or so?

Hoping, crossing my fingers . . . .

Texas Mom...we're going Jan. 5-12, we were psyched for empty parks...then I found out that lots of people are off for the holidays through Jan. 6! Our kids go back Jan. 2. Still, I think the crowds will be very light...see you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter