Is Christmas time really that bad???

Wendimn said:
Thanks :) I am assuming she meant especially for Christmas time. I have heard stories of people waiting at counter service for over an hour,,.for a sandwich during Christmas time.

We did not find Counter Service waits anymore than 20-30 minutes. Except for the day we went to MK to watch the Christmas Parade. I think we went the afternoon of December 27th. While DH & the Kiddos were saving a spot for the parade on Main St, I went to Casey's Corner to grab Corn Dog Nuggets & Nachos. It took at least 45 minutes but it was on Main St in a parade window, it is a small eatery.

We also try to eat at off times at Counter Service locations.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We have been to Disney dozens of times. Last year, we went the week before Christmas - 16th thru 21st. The 16th and 17th were fine, but after that, it was ridiculously crazy. I said if that was the first time I had ever been to Disney, I would never want to go back. Yes, the Christmas decorations are pretty, but in my opinion, you don't get the Disney feel as the rest of the year. You can't do many rides without ridiculous waits - and we refuse to wait in a 2 hour line for anything. Food lines were ridiculous and it was just hard to walk down the sidewalks. We do get up early, go back to the room for mid-day breaks, and go back to the parks til close. But, even with EMH, it was just too stressful.

It's our favorite time of year. We have been several times and have even visited MK on Christmas day and we did not find it that bad.

Two diametrically opposed experiences, which in and of itself is WDW, if you ask me, no matter what time of year. I thought last October was heavenly, but I heard people there saying they would NEVER go during Food and Wine ever again!

I think anybody going to WDW with the rides as their focus might come back disappointed. I don't look at WDW as a ride filled destination, so that may be something to think about and put in a day at Universal or drive to Busch Gardens - it's about 1 hr, 20 min.

OP - are you flying/driving? I think I read that you are staying off property, so you will have likely have a car and can drive to whichever park you wish. Bus waiting will be a non issue. Of course you can use the buses/monorails to hop around, just park your car at the park you want to END your day.

We eat strategically on vacation and sometimes eat less because we're on the go. We may eat a full breakfast at the resort or just have a snack, and have an early CS lunch. You can have TS meals (ie breakfast @ Crystal palace, etc) and still not kill your time. That TS meal lasts us a good long time. We can go till supper w/a snack and then we use CS. We just do 1TS/day at the most. If we stay 7 nights we will have 5-6 TS and we use it to talk about how much fun we are having, what we want to do next, etc. Many of our meals are at dinner, but one is 4 o'clock, late afternoon, one is breakfast and one is HDDR on our first day there which is a no park day. I really enjoyed some of our counter service - AK has great counter service and filling (Flame Tree BBQ) and Columbia Harbor House at MK are two favorites. We actually got good food at Pecos Bill in MK, too. La Cantina San de Angel in World Showcase at Epcot is yummo, too.

I love touringplans.com -- very helpful. We were FastPass fiends! We are going the week before - leaving for home when all the Christmas crowd is coming in - 12/22. Hopefully, we won't get the brunt of it quite yet, but I am fully expecting it to be crowded and have my head tilted in that direction. ::yes::

We are early risers anyway and will be there at park open, follow the advice at Touringplans and EasyWDW.com and make the best of their suggestions for the things you want to do. You may want to add WaterParks and More to your ticket after you get to WDW, depending on the weather. Sounds like your kids are at that age where they would really enjoy that added bonus.

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. Now I just need to break it to my hubby that we aren't going..lol.

I have been the week following Christmas and through New Years and it was so much better the week that started NYE and ends the 7th of Jan. My kids are still out of school then so we could go and I let them miss a day or two.

I wouldnt cancel your trip, I would just slide the date a bit.

OMG - seriously - do not cancel your trip! This thread is driving me crazy! It is NOT that bad as long as you do a bit of planning.

We are ride people too and don't spend too much time at table service restaurants. The decorations are cool but we don't spend time searching them out. Only exception - the Osbourne lights at DHS are awesome!

We have been at Xmas time before and never waited for more than 20 minutes for anything! You just have to know where to go and how to go about your day.

I am happy to help you if you need it!

So which one is more reliable....touring plans or easywdw?

In my experience, easywdw is spot-on, especially if you are staying off-site. His recommendations advise hitting non-EMH parks, so it is ideal for folks who don't have access to EMH.

I don't have experience using these recommendations during Christmas week, though.

Thanks! We are actually going the 14-20 so maybe we will miss the worst of the Christmas crowds. :-)

lunapnp said:
Thanks! We are actually going the 14-20 so maybe we will miss the worst of the Christmas crowds. :-)

Well those are fab dates. No issues at all. I wouldn't worry about a thing. :)

Oh, goodness! You really have nothing to worry about. Crowds won't get heavy until the 21st or 22nd.

Yea! I hope y'all are right. ;-) this will be my and my daughters 10th trip....but the first for my new husband and stepson!!!

This IS a very interesting thread to read! We will be at Disney from December 13th to 27th, so all of this information is extremely helpful! I would not cancel the trip, if I were you. You will be fine if you just do your reearch and know what to expect.

It'sWDW4me said:
If you do end up going at Christmas and if you do plan on TS meal(s), I would imagine that booking your ADR's (Advance Dining Reservations) at 180+10 is an absolute MUST! I can only imagine how quickly the restaurants are booked solid over the holidays.

I didn't book my trip until 110 days, and didn't decide to do the ddp until 89 days. I got everything we wanted (including Le Cellier for lunch Christmas Day) except BOG.

I didn't book my trip until 110 days, and didn't decide to do the ddp until 89 days. I got everything we wanted (including Le Cellier for lunch Christmas Day) except BOG.

WOW...Le Cellier for lunch Christmas Day? That is amazing:yay: I've been trying to get Le Cellier for Lunch the middle of December without any luck :sad1:

discookiemonsta said:
WOW...Le Cellier for lunch Christmas Day? That is amazing:yay: I've been trying to get Le Cellier for Lunch the middle of December without any luck :sad1:

I was shocked too. Must have been right place right time. Lol

Can anyone who has been there the week between Christmas and New Years give an estimate for waits for shows (during peak capacity- probably late morning to afternoon)?? I always hear about the wait time for popular rides, but what about things like FOTLK and Beauty and the Beast show? How crowded will the stores (inside the parks) be??

OP- I would agree with suggestions already given, we are going that week and are packing our patience. I honestly am very excited, though I know it will be super crowded.

Great thread!

We are going Dec 29-Jan 4th and part of me is dreading it. I was just there last weekend and it was stressing me out just thinking about the crowds. I like the idea of picking 2 things you must get done and getting there early. We are also staying offsite and will miss the EMH, but we will make the best of it.

Love the idea of touring the monorail resorts for decorations. I just hope the kids are in to it as well!

I just hope the kids are in to it as well!

At their age, I am sure they will love it. You can hit a lot of non-park sites that are great for kids (DTD, resorts, etc). Are you doing any character meals? We are staying offsite too and the OOP prices are high- but my kids will really love eating with characters! They will love the gingerbread house at GF.

Yes we have Tusker House scheduled and Akershus. We also have the Candlelight Processional dinner package scheduled for 12/30, although I am not sure if we will keep that.

The good news is that we will go back in Feb when things are calmer. I talked to DD today and told her she needs to pick a few "must-dos" and plan on enjoying the parades, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter