Is Chef Mickeys my best choice?

tulsanurse1

Mouseketeer
We are arriving at DW (CSR hotel) on May 31. Our group will include myself ( mom), DD13 and DD14. Is the funnest and best food choice Chef Mickeys? Im wanting them to feel the excitement but also have an outstanding meal. We will be there for 8 days and have 3 other character meals planned. Not sure whether the food at Chef Mickeys is all that good since it is buffet style. I was wanting something that had very pretty desserts along with good entrees and appetizers. One daughter is picky and the other one isnt. Any suggestions would be great.

Are you going into a park that day? That could make a difference in the suggestions you get.

We will check in around 4 so Im not planning on doing park time unless its just to enjoy the beauty of the park. So its not a must that we go to MK on the first evening there. Just want to be sure the girls the "magic" of the vacaton on the first night. My daughter commented "why do we have so many character dining meals?.....we will see them in the parks" I had to laugh to myself because she is essentially right. I would rather they experience an awesome meal with really good service. oh yea, and some beautiful desserts.

We went to CM's the first night of our last trip. The characters were alot of fun especially when they put the napkins up in the air but the food and service was probably the worst I have had any where and it made us very nervous for the rest of our trip. We had ADR's but had to wait over an hour to be seated. We didn't see a waiter the whole time had to go looking for drinks and our bill. The food was cold and alot of the tray's were empty.

We went to BOMA's in the AKL which is also a buffet...the food was fablous and the service was too. It was nice to walk around the resort afterward. If we had our time back and wasn't going into the parks we would go to BOMA's our first night. We really enjoyed CP's in the MK also and I have read good things about Ohana's.

Have a good trip!

Chef Mickeys is a fun experience, but I wouldn't call the food outstanding. I think the food at the Crystal Palace is better, so if you would consider going into MK for dinner, that could be an option.

If you don't care about the characters on the first night, Boma is excellent.

I believe the 1900 Park Fare at the GF is also a character meal, but I think it will be rehabbed soon. Last time I ate there, the food was good.

Chef Mickey's was fun for my DD when she was 4 years old and 8 years old. She is now 15 years old and, while she might find it all amusing, this would not be her idea of a really fun meal.

Also, in my 2-3 times I've been there, the dinner food wasn't the greatest. I felt that it was overrun by little kids, the buffet area was a pain navigating the kids, and it was constantly getting messy. Now that I have older children, my threshold for 4 years old is wearing thin!;)

Anyway, you might start researching some of the other places. Whispering Canyon seems like it might be more geared toward older kids. I haven't been there so I can't comment on the food.

Chef Mickey's is great for breakfast but I haven't done a dinner there yet so I can't comment on that. I have done Whispering Canyon before and we really enjoyed it. I can't comment on how "pretty" the desserts were. All I can say is they were tasty and gone.

I really like Chef Mickey's but its more of a tradition thing than a food thing. The food has always been good, nothing spectacular but always good. And fun. However, even though I have had some good meals there I do think their desserts are lacking. Its mostly softserve ice cream, cookies, lemon squares and brownies things like that. Nothing to write home about, sort of like the desserts you would see at a Country Buffet or Ponderosa type place.

Given the age of your kids I might suggest a restaurant like O'Hana. Its a lot of fun and they have some very tasty appetizers. Chicken wings, fried wontons with dipping sauces and that sort of thing. Then skewered meats, salad, potatoes and warm bread pudding with carmel sauce and ice cream on top, all of it brought to you family style and all you can eat. Another possibility might be one of the places in Epcot. Coral Reef is very good and has some incredible desserts since they have a pasty chef there. And it has a nice atmosphere as well.

I would suggest you look at the menus on www.allearsnet.com and see what looks good.

I can see Chef Mickey's getting you in the mood for your WDW vacation but it sounds like you want something more about the food than the characters.

IMO it depends on whether your fam enjoys buffets or not. CMs is a decent quality buffet. (( better IMO than my local Hometown Buffet, which suits us just fine)):thumbsup2

since your girls are older and you are already doing 3 other character meals, I would suggest a meal at DTD. You could eat at someplace like wolfgang pucks and have a much better meal and be at DTD for disney magic without paying for park admission.

By the time my kids were teenagers they thought character meals were kind of lame. On our last trip we only did one and while DD enjoyed it more than DS, they both would have rather done something different.

We are arriving at DW (CSR hotel) on May 31. Our group will include myself ( mom), DD13 and DD14. Is the funnest and best food choice Chef Mickeys? Im wanting them to feel the excitement but also have an outstanding meal. We will be there for 8 days and have 3 other character meals planned. Not sure whether the food at Chef Mickeys is all that good since it is buffet style. I was wanting something that had very pretty desserts along with good entrees and appetizers. One daughter is picky and the other one isnt. Any suggestions would be great.
Breakfast is very good at Chef Mickeys.

Since characters are not a must....

I would try...
Ohana's...fun...
Whispering canyon cafe....to much fun..good food...

Or go to Kona Cafe....food is awesome....

Ohana's and Kona are at the poly.....catch
Wishes and electrical pageant after dinner...
Enjoy
kerri

There are plenty of really good restaurants outside the parks. Have you been to 'Ohana or Whispering Canyon? Those are fun meals with very good food. I agree with pp Kona is also a very good choice or Boma at AKL. There are several places in DTD like wolfgang puck's but I have not been there yet, someone else may be able to tell you how good the food is.

Our choices would either be Ohana's or Whispering Canyon, just b/c the atmosphere is a lot of fun and the food is delicious.:goodvibes

We did not like the food but the kids had a great time with the characters. The 10 year old is very picky and would not eat anything, she did not like the taste of the food and nibbled on a slice of cold pizza. The 3 year old who is a pasta freak did not like the sauce on the raviolis and nibbled on pizza.

DH and I were very disappointed in the food. The only thing we enjoyed was the prime rib and the potatoes.

Next time we go with our nieces I will try Ohana

I would suggest Raglan Road in Downtown Disney. It's always nice to spend your first evening strolling around there and getting into the Disney spirit.

The Irish Step dancers would be the really cool part of this as well. Very fun and a little more grown up than the characters. I've heard the food is hearty and good, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Chef Mickeys is a fun experience, but I wouldn't call the food outstanding. I think the food at the Crystal Palace is better, so if you would consider going into MK for dinner, that could be an option.

If you don't care about the characters on the first night, Boma is excellent.

I believe the 1900 Park Fare at the GF is also a character meal, but I think it will be rehabbed soon. Last time I ate there, the food was good.

I agree with going to CP! You would also get to see the castle and what could get you in a more Disney mood that that? :wizard:

We have gone to Chef Mickeys twice and loved it both times. I thought the food was pretty good and so did my DH who eats like a bottomless pit but is very picky. We have adrs for June 4 so that our DD can have a character dining experience.
We have also eaten at Ohana and I would agree with the other postings that at the age of your DD'S they might like. We are planning on going there in December for our Christmas trip to WDW. The Bread Pudding is sooo good, am I'm not a big fan of bread pudding but I am looking forward to eating there again. The food was good and the atmosphere was fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter