• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Chase going to Introduce an Annual Fee to the Disney Rewards Credit Card?

Another one who would cash out and cancel. Really, the reward isn't big enough to justify an annual fee. Plenty of other companies give higher amounts. I would just switch to another card.

Most likely my Tinkerbelle card would be cancelled and I would go back to using my credit union Visa, or try out Jet Blue or Discover card.

For me to keep the card with an annual fee, they would need to make HUGE improvements to the rewards program. For example, Royal Caribbean offers double rewards on RCCL purchases. It has always driven me nuts that there is no extra rewards for Disney purchases or when there is a bonus offer, Disney is not one of the categories!

I took this survey last night. They were asking about annual fees from $39 - $69. The main incentive seemed to be 2% cash back on gas, grocery & Disney purchases and the ability to use the rewards for airline tickets.1% on everything else.
Some of the other incentives were an initial $50 - $200 reward or Disney gift card for 1st time use, a free companion airline ticket yearly, extra $25 reward for every $100 earned, the ability to use rewards for gift cards for various companies, and numerous other items I wasn't interested in.
My responses were that I was maybe interested if there was a large initial incentive & the extra $25 for every 100. I charge everything on my credit card so my monthly bills are quite large & the extra 25 would quickly pay for the fee.

DH only let me open it under duress, so he'd be thrilled for the reason to close it. :lmao:

I took this survey last night. They were asking about annual fees from $39 - $69. The main incentive seemed to be 2% cash back on gas, grocery & Disney purchases and the ability to use the rewards for airline tickets.1% on everything else.
Some of the other incentives were an initial $50 - $200 reward or Disney gift card for 1st time use, a free companion airline ticket yearly, extra $25 reward for every $100 earned, the ability to use rewards for gift cards for various companies, and numerous other items I wasn't interested in.
My responses were that I was maybe interested if there was a large initial incentive & the extra $25 for every 100. I charge everything on my credit card so my monthly bills are quite large & the extra 25 would quickly pay for the fee.

Something like that may work. I gladly pay Chase a $65 annual fee for my Marriott card, but I get 5x points on Marriott spend plus a free hotel night every year that more than pays for the fee. Maybe a free night at a Disney Value Resort? :goodvibes

If they do, they'll lose me. I'm doing my best not to use credit cards much and to pay off the ones we have with a balance so incentives don't mean much to me.

I've already cancelled one other credit card that added an annual fee so if the disney card gets one, I'm done with them too.

Something like that may work. I gladly pay Chase a $65 annual fee for my Marriott card, but I get 5x points on Marriott spend plus a free hotel night every year that more than pays for the fee. Maybe a free night at a Disney Value Resort? :goodvibes

Yeah, that I might have to think about :)

1% cash back - not so much!

OP I took that same survey 5 mos ago can't believe they're still doing it. Did you get paid 10 bucks for doing?

Hey!! I took that survey too a few months ago...no $10 for me! :( Stinkers!!! LOL For the record, I indicated I would not pay a monthly fee either!

Some of these rewards may be enough for me to keep the card even with an annual fee. I also charge a lot on my Disney Visa so a $25 bonus for every $100 of rewards earned would add up fairly quickly for me. It would also be great if they gave a bonus to existing cardholders for first use after they pay their fee; a bonus for first-time use doesn't do much for those of us who have already had the card for years! The free companion airline ticket yearly doesn't really interest me, we don't fly often so a lot of years that would go unused by us. Do you remember what any of the things you weren't interested in were?

Some of these rewards may be enough for me to keep the card even with an annual fee. I also charge a lot on my Disney Visa so a $25 bonus for every $100 of rewards earned would add up fairly quickly for me. It would also be great if they gave a bonus to existing cardholders for first use after they pay their fee; a bonus for first-time use doesn't do much for those of us who have already had the card for years! The free companion airline ticket yearly doesn't really interest me, we don't fly often so a lot of years that would go unused by us. Do you remember what any of the things you weren't interested in were?

My impresssion from the survey was that this is a brand new card not a replacement for the existing one

10% discount on Disney merchandise, travel agent to book airline tickets,

My memory is shot & this was a long survey

The only card I pay an annual fee on is my Black Card, but it offers me 24/7 concierge and access to lounges at airports when I travel, plus rewards & yearly gifts. If they want to implement an annual fee on this Disney card the rewards better be EXTREMELY good or I will cancel in a heartbeat.

Offers for companion airfares make me nervous... From what I have seen I can usually book it directly through the airline for both of us, cheaper.

Well I for one can say they will lose us if they do. Our credit rating is high enough and we don't carry any debt on our other cards (i.e. debt utilization percentages), so it wouldn't be too much of a ding if I did. They don't give good enough rewards to make it worth it, our other cards offer way better. In fact, I only keep it around now for the OBC we get for DCL. The only way I would consider keeping it with an annual fee is if they start giving out some way better rewards and discounts than they already do.

Just a tip for IF the Disney Rewards card starts charging a fee: I originally had a different Chase card that I called and had "converted" to the Disney card. Even though my account number changed in the process, my credit history rolled over from the old account to the new one - they report the open date on the account as the date I opened the original one, etc. (This also has happened with one of my Chase cards where I had to get a new account number due to the old number being compromised.)

So don't automatically close the card, call Chase and have it converted to one of their other cards with no fee - with some luck, you won't take a credit hit.

A side warning - I've tried this with other banks (CitiBank comes to mind) and it doesn't always work this way. They've reported the old account as closed, and the new account actually becomes a new account on the credit report. So it seems to be hit and miss.

I'm with all of you.... I would cancel if they put an annual fee. it's not easy now racking up Disney Dollars, but if you had to pay an annual fee it would basically zero that out. No thanks. :confused:

Since we usually get between $250-$300 in Reward points every year, a $25 fee would not cause me to cancel my credit card. But, I would not be happy; it's not like they aren't making money on every transaction.

My impresssion from the survey was that this is a brand new card not a replacement for the existing one

I agree. The survey I took yesterday was re a new "premiere" Disney card with many variations on possible perks and fees. I liked one possible perk that would allow you to apply up to 150 rewards points to any airline ticket purchase with no black out dates (I love options). 2x rewards for gas, grocieries, Disney shopping and airlines. There was also an option to get gift cards with rewards points with other retailers like Barnes & Noble etc.
Increased ID theft protection, concierge service for tickets & other bookings (don't remember others), customer service lines 24-7, 1 or 2 free dvds a year, x amount of free movie tickets a year, bonus points for higher card usage, free annual credit score. Free companion airline ticket (blackout dates:headache: My choices were all geared towards more points and more flexible use of points. Even 2x points for groceries and gas stinks because of limitations (only stand alone stores for groceries and stand alone gas stations who charge 10 cents more per gallon around here) for me. There was even more I believe...

That was my impression as well. Besides the fee, the biggest difference between the standard card & the new enhanced one was that the new card will pay twice the rewards on certain charges, such as gas, grocery and Disney. -- Suzanne

Ah, ok. Hopefully this is just a new product and they will not start charging an annual fee on the "regular" Disney Visas already in existance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter