Is camping at fort wilderness "dirty"?

Just(donald)Ducky

Mouseketeer
Hey all-

So I just returned from my first camping trip as an adult, and I had a much better time then I thought I would. I had done camping as a teen a few times and had fun, but then I was in the army, where their idea of "camping" is significantly different....

Regardless, i gave my most recent trip (which actually I returned from today) a try at the request of my GF, and I loved it.

After a few days though, she was burnt out.

The "pad" so to speak was just basically a leveled out chunk of dirt in a forest, which I didn't mind at all. But by day three she had had enough of the sand and dirt everywhere... Not to mention that we were at cape cod, and were primarily spending our time at the beach.

and we didn't think to bring a broom, dust pan, or dustbuster.

I would love to do Disney by camping- I've been nine times now, and Id love to cut out that huge chunk of cash that having a family of five costs- two adults and three kids, 9, 8, and four....

But is she going to feel the need to take toothbrushes to the kids feet again?

No, I am not joking.... that's how bad their feet were! My daughter almost pee'd her pants because it tickled so much.

Any help is greatly apprecaited! Thanks!

I don't know much about tent camping at WDW, but I know they have plenty of comfort stations with clean showers and bathrooms. I think it sounds like you are talking about tenting?
It wouldn't be my choice. Esp in rainy season. And winters are unpredictable weather wise. It can get pretty cold at night.
And after a long day at the parks, I'd want a comfy place to relax and put my feet up. I wouldn't be a happy camper :laughing:

Camping anywhere, even at WDW, is going to come with its share of 'dirt' but for the most part I have never had the incredibly filthy feet problem there that my kids have had when camping in other places. I camp in a tent and we stay clean, although I admit my tent is decked out like something from Harry Potter with rugs and lamps, places to hang our clothes, etc. I think Fort Wilderness may be the cleanest campground EVER. Check out the Camping board, lots of good info and pictures of people's set ups.

We love the Fort, love it so much my DD is extremely disappointed that our upcoming trip we will be at Pop and not the Fort, even though I have told her over and over we are going back to the Fort and camping for nearly three weeks in late October/early November (beating last year's record by almost a full week!). :woohoo:

Put a camp broom in your gear and you will be set. :thumbsup2

I truly think the feet thing is what worried her the most. I mean, we live in the country- both of us grew up not wearing shoes from june through august.

It is honestly the dirtiest I have ever seen my daughters feet. But it being the cleanest campsite will make her feel better.

Fort Wilderness is cleaner than my house.

OK - it's been a while but I go back to 1978 when my family of campers arrived at Fort Wilderness. And by family, I mean 16 people. All experienced campers. I was 15.

The first day there, my father looked around and said "I cannot believe how clean this place is!" We did not have a tent but a pop up trailer but still. To see the amazement in my dad's eyes at how clean everything was. I still marvel at that memory. It's been 34 years and it's not Disney rose colored glasses.

Because we went back in May of 2003 and stayed at the Cabins but my dad stayed at a campsite. Well, he was still impressed.

I wouldn't worry about it. Totally different experience and I'll bet you will be like my father. Although much younger.

My kids love to camp, but my DH and I just tolerate it for them. Camping at FW is like country club camping! It's the best campsite ever! I am a clean freak and cleanliness of bathrooms, etc. is a priority when we travel. The comfort stations at FW are excellent. The campsites are kept up. The pads are sand, so yes, you'll get sand in the tents and that's why the brooms, rugs, etc. are mentioned to help keep it at bay.
Of course, if your kids run around without shoes, their feet are going to get dirty, but I wouldn't recommend that in Fla. anyway.

I think FW is a great way to stay at WDW economically if your family likes to camp and have fun, there's so much to do there that's fun!

I truly think the feet thing is what worried her the most. I mean, we live in the country- both of us grew up not wearing shoes from june through august.

It is honestly the dirtiest I have ever seen my daughters feet. But it being the cleanest campsite will make her feel better.

We camp every weekend at our summer place. Well we have a PM, but we enjoy all the other benefits of camping, campfires, fishing and hiking. I think you would be fine.

I will tell you that I get the foot scrub from the body shop for my daughters feet. I have always used it on mine for appearance, but it is amazing what a nickel size of scrub will remove. She does not go barefoot, but she runs around all day in flip flops and crocs.

We stayed at Fort Wilderness years and years ago and I am definitely not a camper. For us to stay there it took getting one of Disney's 45 mobile homes (before they had the cabins) with daily maid service so I can safely say we weren't that dirty!!! As I said, I am not a camper but do know people that have camped there using pop-ups and have loved it.

Not sure on how dirty Fort Wilderness is and I've never checked it out, however, I can give you a tip that I do every time our family goes camping. Rubbermaid makes a tub for washing dishes and I have that sitting on the mat by the door of our fifth wheel and before my kids go inside they are to clean their feet of in the "foot bath" and then dry them with a towel before entering.

I usually stay at a resort but i did stay in a camper a few years ago at fort wilderness , it was the cleanest campground id ever been!
the bathrooms were awesome, not sceevy at all.. didnt mind doing the shower thing in there at all ..
I dk if i would go for a tent there, but maybe try the camper, we have talked about maybe doing a pop up sometime.. you can rent them pretty cheap ..
just keep in mind that the weather is iffy, rainy times, can be super hot and coooolldd in winter..

Camping at Fort Wilderness would be an awesome and amazing experience. It definitely would be less "messy" than the beach.

I agree with one of the previous posters. Camping in FL will have dirt and sand involved, camping anywhere will, but Fort Wilderness is a beautiful and clean resort, with plenty of restrooms with really nice showers.

I say go for it, it would be a totally different camping experience :goodvibes

FW is clean in comparrision to so many other campgrounds I've camped at. Since your wife seems to be more concerned about the foot traffic dirt you will wnat to base your site on where it's located. We stayed with our pop-up in one of the tent/trailer loops and while it was very clean we still had a fiar amount of sand from our feet. Our site was a sand pad so wet feet/shoes from rain or swimming brought the sand in regardless of the mat at the bottom step. If your wife is concerned about this then I would look into sites designed for trailers an dRV with paved pads. This will significantly reduce the dirt traffic at your tent, and yes, I have seen tents using these sites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter