Is California Adventure a must?

shakalaka

Earning My Ears
I'm wondering if we should spend one of our days at California Adventures or just do two at Disney instead. Apart from Radiator Springs would we be missing anything awesome? My kids don't like scary rides so we can miss tower of terror, and we can see Fantasmic instead of WOC.

If you're going before the end of next year, F! will be closed. If adding the hope isn't an option, I'd play it by ear and see how much you get done in DL, the do DC A the next day. Though some times of year and days of the week may work better than others. They're really more like one total experience and you're limiting yourself to half of it by only staying in DL.

I personally like to hop and spend one day at Disney CA. The cars land is cute and fun and the boardwalk has a lot of kiddie rides. We love Toy Story along with the Little Mermaid.

Also, World of Color can be fun as well and they updated it for their 60th. It's not a full day park but definitely a different vibe from DL.

For us it is. We're doing one day at both, but then this is probably the only time we'll ever get out here, and we'd really like to see both. WDW is much closer for us, so that's where we typically go for a Disney fix. I know the Radiator Springs ride that is like test track, but with a Cars theme is on my son's must do list (He's 20). and we'd both really like to see that area's theming. We're going to start with two day base tickets, and if we want to hop we'll just upgrade when we are there vs spending the extra money up front. We see enough things there to keep us busy from 10 to 3 p.m. at that park and at Disneyland the day before from 10 to 4 p.m. That will give us a chance to take a break and come back in the evening if we feel like it. We're not sure yet if there will be evening shows and fireworks -- We're doing a week day January visit next year. // We're basically doing teen/adult highlights.

Too bad about F! We're not huge fans of cars and Toy Story and such, but I'm sure the kids would enjoy it. I did consider getting hoppers for that day. We're doing one day at Universal and that's the one I'm most excited about! Harry Potter + Shrek + Minions = my favorite!

We actually spend more time in CA than DL on many of our trips. It's not a side show to DL by any stretch - I think you would be really selling your trip short if you avoided it.

I totally agree, if I had to pick my favourite park I would have to choose DCA over DL. We always get 4 or 5 day hoppers and most days we will hit both parks at least once each.

CA is definitely worth a visit. Cars Land alone is worth it but it offers a lot more than that.

Too bad about F! We're not huge fans of cars and Toy Story and such, but I'm sure the kids would enjoy it. I did consider getting hoppers for that day. We're doing one day at Universal and that's the one I'm most excited about! Harry Potter + Shrek + Minions = my favorite!

It is funny how everyone has different opinions. My opinion might not mean much since I have zero interest in going to Universal - and yes, I read all the HP books - but for me there is something different about Disney, whether it's DL or DCA. One never knows until they go I guess and find out for themselves.

For me it's not the individual movies, etc that interest me. It's overall the feeling in the parks. I hate Universal. DH tells me universal florida is great though. I hope to experience that one day.

We love DLR & prefer to parkhop a minimum of 3 days. Usually 4.

Last edited:
We actually spend more time in CA than DL on many of our trips. It's not a side show to DL by any stretch - I think you would be really selling your trip short if you avoided it.

I totally agree, if I had to pick my favourite park I would have to choose DCA over DL. We always get 4 or 5 day hoppers and most days we will hit both parks at least once each.

Add me to the camp that (heretically) prefers spending time in DCA to DL.

If you can opt for 2 day hoppers, I'd do that. I find that DCA is a 1/2 to 3/4 day park for me, so I don't know if I'd want to burn a whole day of a 2 day 1 park ticket on it. I could easily spend 2 days just in DL. It's only $40.00 to add the hopper. You could spend whatever time you chose at DCA then spend the rest of the time in DL.

Oh I couldn't imagine going to Disneyland and missing CA. Cars Land, Toy story World of Color are three highlights for me so would definitely recommend it. Have fun!

I'm wondering if we should spend one of our days at California Adventures or just do two at Disney instead. Apart from Radiator Springs would we be missing anything awesome? My kids don't like scary rides so we can miss tower of terror, and we can see Fantasmic instead of WOC.

No but its very fun and fun place to be. And I went b4 cars land. Sorin when it comes back was exciting and i the words of will I am fresh. You know go and if you do not like it go to San Diego Disneyland etc.

DCA is really great: RSR and Carsland it a great deal of fun and even with skipping ToT, there is so much to recommend: GRR, Soarin', Monsters Inc., TSMM is a great and fun family ride even if you are not into the theme; World of Color is magical and with F! gone it is especially awesome; plus Bugslife and The Little Mermaid and Turtle Talk...I could go on and on and I go without my kids these days!

The food in California Adventure is miles above Disneyland. Get that World of Color dining package for Wine Country - you won't regret it!

We LOVE our park hoppers! For us.. it's very much needed as we like having the freedom to switch parks whenever we want. Obviously I prefer Disneyland over DCA but I do like a lot! :) I think there are a lot of fun things to see and do at DCA and as someone above mentioned it does have a different vibe so it's neat to be able to check it all out. We love RSR..TSMM... Little Mermaid...Soarin'...Monsters Inc., ... World of Color! When Disneyland starts getting a little too crowded in the late afternoon we go to DCA to escape the crowds...it works well!

Don't miss DCA! You don't have to love the movie franchises to love the themed lands. My kids saw Cars (the movie) once and hated it, but boy do they love Carsland. My husband and I love it too. It is a beautifully designed, immersive experience with great rides. There is really exceptional themeing throught DCA now. The Grizzly Peak area for example has Grizzly River Run which is an awesome ride. It is my husband's fav; he's 63 years old and loves how each ride is unique and thrilling without being overly scary. We love Soarin Over California as another totally thrilling ride experience that is not scary like Tower of Terror. There are great street performers in DCA too. Really it is totally worth the time.

We would never skip DCA on a trip to DLR.....it's an awesome park.

We have done USH on 2 of our trips and each time only spent half a day there so it's not worth the money and long drive to get there for us........but USO/IoA in Orlando is a different story as we love spending 2-3 days there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter