• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone really excited about Avatar Land?

We are excited, we love Animal Kingdom. Last October we were there for a couple of hours after dark and we had the best time there that we've ever had at Disney - so beautiful, a different kind of magical!:) An entire new land, rides, landscaping?? Open at night?? How could you not be excited?!! :D

So in a word, yes! We are excited. We aren't going back until 2017, and if it's not opening until 2018, will push trip back until then. (and I didn't even see the movie!)

I thought the film was ok but that's not really what the film or the land will be about. The technology is at the forefront of the film and I think that will also be true for the land. It's taking so long because getting new technology to work how you want it to is difficult. Just look how long it took Gringotts and Forbidden Journey to run smoothly....both of them created using tech that had never been used before for those purposes. I'm looking forward to seeing what Disney and James Cameron will come up with!

As others have pointed out, I don't think you need to love the movie to enjoy the WDW experience. The lands / visuals in Avatar provide a lot for Disney to work with so I am quite excited about it. I expect it will be well done and innovative.

I hated the movie. I am tired of political bickering in general and I really don't like to be lectured when I'm watching a movie or tv show. And yes that movie had an agenda and was pushing it as hard as possible.

That being said, I'm really excited for avatarland. AK is my favorite park because I love the feel of it (adventureland is my fav mk land). I like trees and plants instead of concrete buildings.

There will be 2 rides: a slow moving boat ride and a soarin-type ride based on the flying dragons in the movie. But the extras will be why it's awesome. From the bioluminescent plants to the ground that will light up when you walk on it (like Billy Jean) it's going to be amazing to walk around in at night. I love AK because I appreciate the little extra theming Disney does. and AK has the best theming when you're just walking around.

The plot of the movie is irrelevant if you just want to appreciate these new light effects.

Let me guess, just like Starbucks a bunch of you will still go despite your petulant whining about the premise......

Oh, I will definitely go to Avatarland. I won't make a special trip for its opening, but I will definitely go to AK because I love that park. I'm sure Avatarland will turn out great. I'm just not that excited about the premise of it. I think Disney Imagineers could have come up with a better original idea. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

i just wish it wasnt going to be in AK I wont do AK for ethical reasons and while they were making improvements since how they were when it first opened theyve recently started making negative changes like their plans to add a night show to the park, the loud sounds and bright lights are every stressful to many of the species there and will affect them negatively so its a real shame because i love avatar and would love it but wont be able to attend.

I think I was one of the last ppl on earth who saw the movie when it was at it's zenith (in other words DVD). I thought it was a decent film, not wonderful like my older sister and her family were clamoring on about but decent enough to entertain me and my two kids on take out dinner and movie night in our house. When I heard Disney was turning it into a land with several attractions I didn't have much thoughts on it because I tend to leave the over thinking and hyping/bashing to other ppl. Disney is going to do whatever it is they want with little or no input from regular Joe's like us and the sooner ppl understand that the better. If I'm excited Disney will push on with their plans, if I'm underwhelmed or upset guess what - Disney will still push on with their plans. All I will do is carry on with my life and whatever comes of this concept or any other Disney idea is wait and see what it's like when I have the chance to experience it for myself. I'll wait and reserve my sentiments till then.

I find that when to much thought process or excitement is put into something that we have no control over that we open ourselves to great disappointment when the reality is far removed from what we have built up in our own minds and we have only ourselves to blame although we would like to place blame squarely on Disney. Once this land opens there are two things that could happen either we enjoy it for whatever it is or we can sit and pick it apart and say what could or should have been done instead - hence not enjoying it at all. Trust and believe there will be many on both sides of that coin like with anything else Disney does.

I do think it'll be a great attraction despite there being no cult-like following for this movie. Would rather see it in DHS and see expansion at AK including more real-life animal attractions - Australia, The Americas, etc.

In a word- No! Don't understand why after so many years they would do a land like that. I don't even remember the movie- that's how much it means to me. They really should have done a Star Wars theme somewhere- or added Cars Land like in CA adventure.

Not excited about Avatarland never saw the movie and don't know what its about. Waiting for the Star Wars, land that I am excited about. We recently returned from Universal never saw or read any of the Harry Potter books/movies but I still enjoyed the areas. So I don't think its necessary to see the movie to enjoy the land. Disney does a great job with their theme areas so I'm sure it will be ok. I don't really like AK just not my thing.

I'm not going to rush to go see it but I like all the recent park changes that started and coming. I think WDW is finally waking up to how stale some things had become and the updates are welcomed. I have no problem with a little animal fantasy being added and the addition of night attractions and shows will make it much more interesting to my family. Should be interesting though as it'll be the first park where it sounds like you have to do the park twice to see it all, assuming the permits for all the ride changes are to introduce a series of nocturnal animals to.

No.

I'm sure it will look great, and draw huge crowds away from the other parks though, and that's a good thing.

Excited? I can't say excited, but I do think they will do some really cool stuff with the concept. I just don't really see the fit in DAK...seems better suited to DHS to me.

Not excited at all. I'm sure Disney Imagineering will do it's best and I might like some aspects, but the movie is already obsolete. Here's the thing with Cameron: He's amazing at special effects and world-building, but his actual story-telling is pretty much crap. I remember very little from the actual script because it was so lackluster - which left me feeling the movie is lackluster.

I also wish they would focus that time, energy, and money on rejuvenating Hollywood Studios and expanding it (Star Wars Land? Bigger Marvel presence within the rights they have? Pixar Land?) and then turn that focus to Epcot to refresh more than what is already planned in the next few years. No matter what they do with Avatarland, AK will still be a half day park for us. Sure, we might go the second half of the day, now that they're adding a show at night, but whatever the do, it won't have the magic of something like CarsLand that will want to keep me there all day, because my kids love it. I don't even know if my 12 year old has heard of Avatar.

And regardless of whether you need to see the movie or love the movie to enjoy it - it's definitely a perk. And I don't enjoy the movie or care to see the sequels (that have taken way too long to come out, by anyone's standards).

I have seen the movie, and enjoyed it. But what I have seen of the artist's renderings it will be a beautiful attraction and perhaps with a few more good rides. You don't need the movie to enjoy the attraction. I have never seen Song of the South, but love Splash Mountain! Several of the rides at Disneyland don't have a movie associated with them, but I still enjoy them and I probably will any new attraction - which are sorely needed right now.

I am. From what I've seen it looks really cool.

The fact that some of you won't even give it a chance is sad. Why not at least go in with an open mind at least once? What's the harm? If you don't like it, fine, but to write it off without ever trying it? Makes no sense to me.

It really looks to me like they are trying to do it right and make it something special. In my opinion they have no choice but to go all-out because of the increased competition with Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter