Is anyone following the Veronica Rose story?

From what I've read (from a biased source admittedly) is his fiance (Ronnie's mother) had him sign a paper giving her POA while he was deployed.

That document was, in fact, a document having him give up all rights to the child. As soon as he discovered the deception on her part, he petitioned the courts when Ronnie was 4 months old for custody.

The adoptive couple are the ones that have chosen to drag this out as long as they have.

What's the deception? Why did he sign it if he didn't want her to have total control?

What's the deception? Why did he sign it if he didn't want her to have total control?

Really? You don't see the deception? Signing a POA form and signing away the rights to your child are so far apart, they aren't even in the same ballpark!

DizBelle said:
Reports I'm hearing say that he signed a form giving up his rights to his daughter and also agreeing not to contest the adoption.
What adoption? ;)

From what I've read (from a biased source admittedly) is his fiance (Ronnie's mother) had him sign a paper giving her POA while he was deployed.

That document was, in fact, a document having him give up all rights to the child.
As soon as he discovered the deception on her part, he petitioned the courts when Ronnie was 4 months old for custody.
I have been getting a deception vibe and this would make sense if that's how it went down.

That has to be the most insensitive rudest comment I have ever seen. You could have stated your opionion without it. I am completely disguested.

Considering the number of times I have seen the phrase "there are so many couples who would have wanted this child" we have got to the state that people think having a baby is a right. It isn't I have seen infertility in my own family, but none of them would have done what this and others have done when the birth parents have wanted the baby back. In most cases they "adoptive" family has dragged it out stating its in the best interest of the child while dumping their pain onto that child when if they did the best for the child they would hand that child back instead of dragging it on and on using the press to try and get the public on their side.

Because if you give up your parental rights, you give up all your rights. He doesn't get to pick that the child can live with it's mother, and he won't support it, but she can't place the child for adoption.

It's pretty simple.

And if the fact that he ADMITS that he signed away custody of the child doesn't convince you that he should not have custody, you're not really worth arguing with.

Custody (physical custody) and parental rights (legal custody) are two different things. Custody is about who child the child lives, Parental rights are about having a legal say in the child's life. Since the adoptive parents are arguing that he gave up his right via non support he may signed something that gave the mother full physical custody not legal custody. Meaning he never gave up his parental rights or consented to the adoption.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120101/PC1602/301019972

Post and Courier article.

I went back to look for old records that I knew I read in the past. Several things have not been released because of the gag order and some of the facts were "taken back" when the gag order came into play.

The bio father admitted that he signed away custody and he did not belong the the Cherokee nation prior to the lawsuit.

What that actually says is

Court records show that the Cherokee Nation initially denied Brown's membership, because Maldonado's attorney misspelled his name and provided an incorrect date of birth.

The birth mom's lawyer gave the Cherokee Nation and incorrect name and DOB so they said he wasn't a member. That doesn't mean that he joined after the court case just that the initial inquiry said no because it was incorrect.

But does that still happen today? If it was written to protect those Indian children who were forcibly taken from their parents, and Veronica wasn't one of those children because her mother (and presumably) her bio-dad legally gave her up, then this law shouldn't apply in this case.

(I say presumably because in link to the OP it states he signed a legal document stating he wouldn't contest the adoption) Also (JMO) if he had a legal leg to stand on as far as getting Veronica back, why would he have to resort to using the ICWA loophole.

In short, "yes," though its couched in terms of saving the children from perceived abuse and neglect.

I don't think it's an issue of it happening still today but every child that enters foster care is screened for any tribal affiliation due to that law. If a child has any chance of an affiliation, then the child cannot enter foster care without the consent of the American Indian tribal leader (whichever tribe it is). That specific language is in all court orders regarding children removed from their parents.

Ah, if only this were true. Some states and courts are better about this than others.

This case doesn't pass the sniff test. It stinks up, down, and sideways.

What that actually says is

Court records show that the Cherokee Nation initially denied Brown's membership, because Maldonado's attorney misspelled his name and provided an incorrect date of birth.

The birth mom's lawyer gave the Cherokee Nation and incorrect name and DOB so they said he wasn't a member. That doesn't mean that he joined after the court case just that the initial inquiry said no because it was incorrect.

Ahhhhhh. Now that makes sense.

This case doesn't pass the sniff test. It stinks up, down, and sideways.

Personally, I have yet to find one individual in this case who has acted in good faith the entire way through. Since the father did sign away his rights to the baby, but was and is a tribal member, would that mean then that the tribe really has the superceding claim on the child's custody? We know the adoption was illegal, whether it was due to the birth mom giving bad information or due to the lawyer giving bad information, yes? That still leaves the document in which the birth dad gave up rights to the baby as a separate document or would that document be considered part of the adoption agreement?

If it's not considered part of the adoption agreement and now the child's enrollment in the trube is not in question. . .wouldn't that leave the tribe as the decider of the child's fate? :confused:

If you find out, could you let us know, please? :)

The South Carolina Supreme Court heard the case on April 17. Waiting on a final ruling. Veronica is in Oklahoma with her birth father and his family. They have not allowed her to see or speak with her birth mother or the adoptive family. I read somewhere earlier that he signed papers while he was deployed. He was not deployed until 5 months after she was born.

This poor little girl. Getting ripped from one family to the next. I hope that who ever ends up with her gets her some good counseling. She is going to need it by the time they are done fighting this out in court..

This poor little girl. Getting ripped from one family to the next. I hope that who ever ends up with her gets her some good counseling. She is going to need it by the time they are done fighting this out in court..

I agree 100%. Enough already! :sad2:

I agree 100%. Enough already! :sad2:

You'll notice you're only hearing one side in the media. The bio father has chosen to live quietly and obey the gag order put forth from the court. He has chosen to keep Ronnie and his family out of the spotlight. He has not asked for money from anyone.

The same can't be said for the Capobianco's.

You'll notice you're only hearing one side in the media. The bio father has chosen to live quietly and obey the gag order put forth from the court. He has chosen to keep Ronnie and his family out of the spotlight. He has not asked for money from anyone.

The same can't be said for the Capobianco's.

Maybe you'd sit on your hands if your 2 year old was legally kidnapped. I wouldn't. Nor would the Copabiancos. The Supreme Court seems to be siding with them.

Maybe you'd sit on your hands if your 2 year old was legally kidnapped. I wouldn't. Nor would the Copabiancos. The Supreme Court seems to be siding with them.

They are bringing unnecessary stress and attention to the situation. Let the court handle it, stop using the media (regular and social) to get sympathy. It only makes the situation worse for the girl.

Kidnapped? :lmao:KIDNAPPED?? :rotfl2:

The adoption was never finalized. Mr. Brown was within the time allotted by law to petition the court for custody. Ronnie was 4 months old when this all started.

I can't have a serious conversation with someone that believes this child was kidnapped.

Time will tell.

There should be a SC Supreme Court ruling at any time. If for some reason, they ruled against the adoptive parents, it seems like a US Appeallate Court would use this exact ruling to throw it out.

My guess is she's going home.

And I guess we'll agree to disagree. He signed off on her. She was legally kidnapped in my opinion.

Time will tell.

There should be a SC Supreme Court ruling at any time. If for some reason, they ruled against the adoptive parents, it seems like a US Appeallate Court would use this exact ruling to throw it out.

My guess is she's going home.

And I guess we'll agree to disagree. He signed off on her. She was legally kidnapped in my opinion.

She is home, with her father.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter