Is anyone else tired of

Not a fan of mother's day either. My twins' school does a half hour mother's day tea every year that I really enjoy. This will be their last year. I've always hated the need to see everyone on the same day. This year, my parents are not speaking to me, so I will not have to see my own mother, so the day will be a little less hectic. Not a fan of the manufactured holiday though. We will have our usual Sunday movie night with pizza and I will be happy as a clam. DH could care less about Father's day too. We don't make a big deal of it.

This Mother's Day is special for us as my youngest DS and DIL have moved back nearby after two years living 5+ hours away. They're now 15 minutes from us. I'm having everyone over (including DDIL's family) for the afternoon and dinner. We also see our families regularly, but honestly my DM and DMIL are getting older so we do celebrate a bit. The problem this year is my parents are going to TX (they live in VA about 1.5 hours from us) and won't be here on Sunday, so not seeing my mother. We're ordering bbq for dinner so I'm not cooking, but I am hosting everyone. So, I'm not "tired" of it perse, but there are times I like having no commitments. We also all get together at least once per month. My sisters (both have kids) are doing their own thing. One's MIL passed away 18 years ago so it's all about her this year. My other sister's MIL lives in FL and her husbands step-mom will be with her daughter and granddaughter, plus he was almost an adult when his dad re-married, although they are close.

Last edited:
I'm not a mom so my opinion doesn't mean much lol...

But I like mother's day. It's usually just very simply my mom and I having lunch/dinner with my grandma. I think it's gotten to be a better holiday now that I'm an adult because I know what my mom would rather have as a gift than a card. Like I can fix something around the house or take her shopping or to the movie she really wants to go to. I might feel differently about mother's day when I'm married though hah.

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think it needs to be a huge deal.

Theoretically, mothers should be appreciated every day. Realistically, they are often overlooked and taken for grated. I don't think it hurts to have a day to remind children (and significant others) how important they are. Same with Father's Day.
Love this ^ and I totally agree! :thumbsup2 I enjoy doing things for other people that I know will delight them and I definitely appreciate having thoughtful things done for me. It's part of what makes my world go around and I actually find it "handy" to have a day designated for it. This will be my first Mother's Day where the focus is between my DS and me after decades of putting DH's and my mothers first (they are both gone now :flower3:). I'm looking forward to getting my turn as it represents the "normal order of things" in our family culture.

Last edited:
In a perfect world all of us mother's would be told every day how much we are appreciated, our kids would thank us for all we do for them (and their friends LOL), we wouldn't have to tell them to clean up after themselves, or ask them to help with the dishes, and all that other stuff. Unfortunately many times we do get taken for granted, it just comes with the territory. I can accept that, but I think its nice to have one day to remind our dh's and our kids to take a little time to let mom know how you feel about her. It doesn't mean there has to be lavish gifts given, maybe just breakfast in bed and a day of no housework. I'll take a hug and an "I love you" from my kids, and not have to cook to be happy. Maybe some of you get that everyday, but I don't.

It seems like it has gotten more and more commercialized and out of control over the years, just like everything else I guess. When I was a kid we'd make homemade presents for my mom and grandmother, and once I got old enough I cooked dinner for them and my brother did the dishes/cleanup. I don't remember my mom ever doing anything in particular for my grandmother beyond a card. Now, though, it seems like the expectation is much higher - not just cards or token gifts but real presents, meals out, etc. And with that change in expectations the day has become much more about moms with adult kids who can take Mom out for brunch/dinner and buy expensive gifts than about Moms with young children.

ETA: The craziness of our Mays probably makes me less willing to enjoy an all-out Mother's Day too, though. My mother, husband, sister-in-law and myself all have May birthdays, so it seems like every time we turn around we're celebrating something when I'd really rather just have my Sundays free to putter in the garden or something!

Last edited:
I'm not a mom so my opinion doesn't mean much lol...

But I like mother's day. It's usually just very simply my mom and I having lunch/dinner with my grandma. I think it's gotten to be a better holiday now that I'm an adult because I know what my mom would rather have as a gift than a card. Like I can fix something around the house or take her shopping or to the movie she really wants to go to. I might feel differently about mother's day when I'm married though hah.

But you can do this any day of the year, why does it just have to be mothers day????

I don't care one way or another about Mother's Day, BUT when DD was younger (elementary school-ish) it was a big day for HER. She WANTED to show me how much she loves me and how special I am in her life. I already know this, of course, but it was important for her to celebrate this. How could I say "chill" to this? However, I have asked for some very unique things for Mother's Day. One year, when I was working two jobs and volunteering with DD's dance company, I asked for a day to myself. I wanted to be alone and not have to do anything for anyone else! DD and DH let me be… they took care of cooking and house stuff for the day, and I spent the day reading. DD read with me for awhile, then did the laundry and made the lunches for the next day, which are 2 of my usual Sunday chores! On other years, I've asked for things to be done that I never get around to doing. One year they returned all the bottles, another year they took everything to Goodwill (17 bags and 5 boxes, so it was a chore!). This year I have asked for someone to go to the laundromat. I have several baskets of bedding- blankets, comforters, mattress pads- that need to go in the big washers and dryers, and I just never seem to have the time (or think of it when I do). I am pretty sure I know where DD and DH will be next Sunday!

But you can do this any day of the year, why does it just have to be mothers day????
It's not just mother's day. My mom and I are super close, so I see her all the time. But I make a point of setting this day aside and making sure I spend time with my mom and gramma instead of going out with friends and doing what I want to do. And I like to remind her that she's the best mom in the world. Cause no I don't do that every day... it's an amazing kid who does.

I like Mother's Day. It's great to get together with family. :) Nobody expects gifts in our family. It's more about hanging out and having a nice dinner together.

It seems like it has gotten more and more commercialized and out of control over the years, just like everything else I guess. When I was a kid we'd make homemade presents for my mom and grandmother, and once I got old enough I cooked dinner for them and my brother did the dishes/cleanup. I don't remember my mom ever doing anything in particular for my grandmother beyond a card. Now, though, it seems like the expectation is much higher - not just cards or token gifts but real presents, meals out, etc. And with that change in expectations the day has become much more about moms with adult kids who can take Mom out for brunch/dinner and buy expensive gifts than about Moms with young children.

ETA: The craziness of our Mays probably makes me less willing to enjoy an all-out Mother's Day too, though. My mother, husband, sister-in-law and myself all have May birthdays, so it seems like every time we turn around we're celebrating something when I'd really rather just have my Sundays free to putter in the garden or something!
On my side of the family, we have/had 6 birthdays in the first week of May (Dad, Mom, sister, grandmother, BIL, daughter). What's one more day? :laughing:

When I was a kid I remember Mother's Day being a day where my grandmother, my aunt and uncles and cousins got together and went out for dinner. We did give presents too, so I don't see it as really changing all that much.

Hate all the Hallmark holidays. My kids still get a little kick.out.of them, though, so I roll.with whatever they want to do. No presents, please. Cards? Only if they are homemade. I know I will get a backrub that day, which is the only reason I have not banned the day completely ;)

MIL passed, my mom lives hours away, and hates the day, too.

I love mother's day. One day to placate the old wind bag and ignore her until Christmas. What isn't to like about that? That's if you're smart enough to move far enough away that you can't visit on those three day weekends or Thanksgiving. Otherwise, you're kind of stuck those days too. As for the spouse, well even though she's not your mother, what's not to like about going out to brunch and get her some flowers to plant that you were going to get anyway?

I think it is sad that some feel it's an obligation. I'm lucky, there are no expectations in my family

Well, in our families, Mother's Day is really Grandmother's Day, so, yes, I'm a bit tired of it.

After church on Mother's Day, we spend the entire afternoon/early evening w/ my mother & then w/ my mother-in-law. If DH is working on Mother's Day, usually what happens (& what happened last year) is the kids & I spend the entire afternoon w/ my mother & then, after DH gets home from work, we go over to my inlaws for a couple of hours.

The day's not about me at all. LOL! And, it's okay... I really do realize that it shouldn't be all about me! However, it's just really hectic & rushed & not relaxing at all.

I do love our mothers. And I think mothers should be appreciated, and, like others have said, it's nice to set aside a day for that.

But, seriously, for me, the day has become a day of "command presence". And, again, not very relaxing or even all that fun.

This year, I came up w/ the grand scheme of inviting our parents over for dinner on Saturday, the night before Mother's Day, so we could celebrate w/ our mothers together on Saturday evening & then do something fun w/ just us on Sunday - like a picnic maybe. However, now we have a birthday party to go to on Saturday, so there goes that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter