Is anyone else not saving or paying for college?

At the risk of getting totally flamed, I just want to add that saying things like "We planned to have only the number of kids we could afford , including the costs of sending them to college" or something along those lines sounds a little snarky. Just remember, "things" happen in life. You can try to plan your life, including your financial life, but it doesn't always work out like you planned for a multitude of reasons.

People generally do the best they can with the hand they have been dealt. Be happy if you make enough/save enough/are disciplined enough to save the money to send your child or children to school, but don't make others feel bad if they haven't or couldn't. Nothing in life, including financial stability, is guaranteed. Enjoy it, but don't use it to put yourself on a pedestal.

I am thankful everyday that we have been able to give our kids all that they need and then some, but I know that in the blink of an eye, it could all be gone...

But why is it snarky to say that we did plan? Of course we realize that life can throw you a major curveball, but that doesn't mean that we didn't take as much as we could into consideration. And, in all honesty, we have tried to take the possible curveball into account as well. I'm certainly not putting myself on a pedestal when it comes to how we chose to handle our finances. I know that not everyone can or chooses to do what we have done. That's fine. But I got sick of the OP's comments that made it sound like those of us who plan to provide for our children's higher education were doing so at the expense of our retirement. That simply isn't true for many people.

You are very fortunate. Instate public school s in Mississippi are approaching $8000 plus for tuition only then add in books housing meal plan etc.

Right. The annual tuition at FSU is $3,397; at the University of Michigan, it's $13,243.

Both state schools, huge difference in tuition.

Right. The annual tuition at FSU is $3,397; at the University of Michigan, it's $13,243.

Huge difference in tuition, but huge difference in quality of education and reputation, as well.

Huge difference in tuition, but huge difference in quality of education and reputation, as well.

Even non "brand" colleges in Michigan are much more expensive than Florida.

Let's take Oakland University, which is just a small regional college in suburban Detroit. It's tuition is $9,938, practically triple that of FSU, which in turn has the much better reputation for a much cheaper price.

Wow! That (FSU) seems so cheap for a state university!
Our community college is 3k per year for in district residents.

We have never had an income that has allowed us to save for both college and retirement. We will do what we can, but it isn't much. DS 17 heads to college next year, and we are currently waiting for financial aid packages so he can make a decision. He will certainly have to contribute to his education. We will not go into debt ourselves.

One poster said something about not having kids if you can't send them to college, and I find that to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. A college education is a privilege, not a right. It can also be financed.

When they were bragging about traveling the world while their kid chokes on debt I was thinking, ok this is a troll, but after I read that gem, it was definitely confirmed:thumbsup2

Wanting to travel the world does not make us a troll. We feel we have earned it. And if you go back to the scholarship sport thread and read it, I wrote it was one of any option my kid will have to consider.

We have never had an income that has allowed us to save for both college and retirement. We will do what we can, but it isn't much. DS 17 heads to college next year, and we are currently waiting for financial aid packages so he can make a decision. He will certainly have to contribute to his education. We will not go into debt ourselves.

One poster said something about not having kids if you can't send them to college, and I find that to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. A college education is a privilege, not a right. It can also be financed.

I don't think this is such an unusual mindset. Even many people among my parents' group (the "Greatest Generation") factored that in.

Personally, I would not plan to have more children than I could afford to educate.

The state school my DS is considering is around $16K a year...and not nearly as well known as those two schools! Kutztown University...not a school knownn country wide ;) Interesting how state schools vary so much in price.

Wow. Our local Technical College is $3857 per year. Their transfer program (2 years at Madison College and you are guaranteed to be admitted to the UW-Madison) is a bargain!

Wanting to travel the world does not make us a troll. We feel we have earned it. And if you go back to the scholarship sport thread and read it, I wrote it was one of any option my kid will have to consider.

Insisting that you will travel the world and be happy to watch your now 10 year old "struggle" goes way, way, way beyond the word "troll."

Now, it is NOT possible to work your way through college in most circumstances. An 18-year-old simply can't make enough to pay the tuition and other costs.

I disagree with this. College costs are not the same in every state. Living at ho, going to a community college, going to a state school,and it is possible.

DW pays about $3,045 for California State Dominguez Hills per semester. We have housing and food costs anyway, so that doesn't matter.

Books can be some cheap through rentals, ebooks and used books. We have even found books at thrift stores or dollar book store. On average, each semester of books runs about $100, at most.

CSU has some of the most expensive schools in the nation, so I don't understand some of the numbers on here either. And the education is a good one, so all in all, you should be able to do a 4 year education for around $25,000. Which would be about $6,250 per year.

My parents paid for my undergraduate degree (history) and my graduate degree (education). DH's parents, though they had the money, did not pay for any of his college education. He was a Merit Scholar and had a full ride for his undergraduate degree (business) and just finished up his MBA using the tuition reimbursement offered from his job.

We will be working our behinds off to provide for our children's college education and it WILL happen one way or another. I am in the camp that I refuse to allow my child to start their adult independent life with massive amounts of debt. We have 529s for them and once they all start going to school full time, I'll be returning to the workforce. DH's income pays our bills so my income will be for savings... college, vacation, future weddings (mom of 3 girls here!!), etc.

There will be limits to that aid though. More than likely, we'll only be able to afford a local, state school & won't be able to pay for room & board. So they can pick any of the fine state schools that are within driving distance of our house & live at home. We're fortunate that we live in an area where there are multiple schools that fit this criteria. They'll also be expected to work hard in school and earn as many scholarships in high school as possible. I'll also encourage them to do post-secondary in high school to earn college credits for free.

We hope as fellow entrepreneurs that our kid will work 80 hours for themselves to avoid working 40 hours a week for someone else!

Just goes to show you how many different perspectives there can be. MY hope for my children is that they put in as few hours in the office as humanly possible while still being able to provide for themselves & their family. My dad & my FIL were two of those guys that were at work before the sun came up, came home after their kids went to bed and then worked even more at home. While I appreciate everything my father sacrificed to provide for his family, I would have much rather had him home more often with us. I want my children to be able to be present in their children's lives instead of always working, even if that works is for themselves. Family, friends & life experiences are for richer and more rewarding to me than any professional success.

I REFUSE to put myself into debt for my children. If I can afford to pay for a class or two with no hardship, I will, but I will not get loans or give them a "full-ride" through college. If they are determined enough to go to college, they can get a job and go part-time. I've seen too many parents waste their money on their children's education, just for them to get married and not work, or quit school.....or graduate, only to get a minimum wage job, and not exert themselves to do any better....and the parents are stuck paying the bills for years.

I'm one of those people. Parents paid for undergrad & grad school and I am a SAHM. I have no regrets and my parents aren't disappointed in my decision. There's plenty of years for me to use my degree (and there are no teaching jobs to be had around here currently anyways) but my babies are only young once. I won't get that time back. And my mom can attest (she's over every day helping me with my twins)... raising these two tiny holy terrors is FAR, FAR more difficult than any office job, lol.

At the risk of getting totally flamed, I just want to add that saying things like "We planned to have only the number of kids we could afford , including the costs of sending them to college" or something along those lines sounds a little snarky. Just remember, "things" happen in life. You can try to plan your life, including your financial life, but it doesn't always work out like you planned for a multitude of reasons.

Lol, I hear ya!! From the day DH & I first had a talk about our future family, we have always, always planned on having 2 children. Because that's what we could comfortably afford. But then life happened and our second little bundle of joy turned into two bundles of joy. And it is most definitely more of a struggle to take care of a family of 5 than it is a family of 4. We were definitely right in only planning for two! ;)

But I take no offense by the comment.

My spouse and I are looking forward to marriage 3.0 and have no problems traveling the world while our kid struggles after leaving home. I don't understand where this notion came that a parent should delay their retirement or borrow on behalf of their children and go into debt to do it.

Wow. Just, wow. :sad2: I don't think I have it in me to sit back and allow my children to struggle if I have the means & ability to do something about it. And I certainly wouldn't be flaunting the fact that I could help them but choose not to in their faces like that.

Insisting that you will travel the world and be happy to watch your now 10 year old "struggle" goes way, way, way beyond the word "troll."

I never said the word happy, buti won't feel guilt if my child does have to struggle. I seriously did not think name calling nor personal attacks were allowed. I have done no such thing, but merely express my opinion. I seeno reason for this hostility,

I don't think this is such an unusual mindset. Even many people among my parents' group (the "Greatest Generation") factored that in.

Personally, I would not plan to have more children than I could afford to educate.

Well, stuff happens. I fed my kids, clothed them, sheltered them, loved them, supported them in their activities, made sure they were healthy. We willl help with college as much as we can, but they are going to have to help too. I will never regret my decision to have them, even though we can't giive them a free ride to college. College was once ppretty affordable. I don't find this the case anny longer.

My oldest is in college now. We pay half and he pays half. If he were unable to pay, we would pay all as long as he was either struggling with grades and couldn't work or was unable to work.

I REFUSE to put myself into debt for my children. If I can afford to pay for a class or two with no hardship, I will, but I will not get loans or give them a "full-ride" through college. If they are determined enough to go to college, they can get a job and go part-time. I've seen too many parents waste their money on their children's education, just for them to get married and not work, or quit school.....or graduate, only to get a minimum wage job, and not exert themselves to do any better....and the parents are stuck paying the bills for years.

Wow. Interesting to see this perspective.

Wow. Just, wow. :sad2: I don't think I have it in me to sit back and allow my children to struggle if I have the means & ability to do something about it. And I certainly wouldn't be flaunting the fact that I could help them but choose not to in their faces like that.
It has been our philosophy since our child grew out of the toddler stage. As long as it was not a safety issue, we let our child fail. We let our child struggle. We never "let" our kid win. One of the greatest joys to me as a parent came on the day my kid put me in checkmate in chess.

I see so many parents today who don't want their kid to struggle. They give them cellphones at age 10, they give them cars, pay for insurance and gas. Come back and let them live at home into their late 20's. We believe we are giving our kid a foundation to make the correct decisions.

This hot summer our kid wanted to do a lemonade stand. While we fronted the money for supplies, our kid had to pay us back before counting profit. Now my kid has figured out how to earn money around the 'hood in ways that are age appropriate.

Our kid may struggle working at a minimum wage job or may figure out that sacrificing a social life to babysit every weekend as possible from the age of 12 can allow big money for savings and spending.

We won't feel guilty if our kid does struggle though when it is time for college. We will be able to live the life we feel we have earned. It will be awhile before our kid will be able to do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter