• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone else disgusted about the state of Hollywood Studios?

Ok so I haven't been in a few years, but MGM has always been our second favorite park besides MK!! I love the shows and of course ToT and RnRC are a must. It may not be a full day park like Epcot and MK, but there are still plenty of attractions to fill the time, IMO :)

I'm unhappy with both DHS and Epcot nowadays. AK has way too much construction but I still love the trails and some of the attractions. DHS is a mess as you say and Epcot is just a pathetic shade of its former self.

Anyone else think it funny that on one thread we have someone complaining about the lack of construction, as well as poster complaining about construction? There really is no way to win.
I see it all the time on the boards...

American Idol has closed. The Pirate experience thing has recently closed. Character Palooza moved from Streets of America to the ToT exit area. The Frozen Sing Along moves from Premiere Theater to the Hyperion (AI) Theater in June. Jake and Sophia have meet and greets outside of Disney Jr.

Star Tours was updated in 2010. Minnie's meet and greet was updated.

Thanks for the list!

These are all minor attractions IMO. American Idol wasn't popular in recent years, and the pirate experience thing wasn't either, and it replaced another unpopular attraction (Prince Caspien). Frozen Sing along has been added, so that's good. The biggest changes I see is the closure of backlot tour, and the removal of the hat.

I guess my point is that HS isn't much different at all than just 5 years ago. So if you are complaining about HS now, you're talking about pretty dang much the same park as it's been the last 5 years.

Dan

One good thing about the sucky-ness of HS is that it gives me more MK time! We're headed out this week 4/1-4/6 for our trip to WDW. Thanks to HS and AK's weak offerings for people with little kids we're doing a half day at each on 4/5. We're sleeping in, then heading to HS in the morning for Muppet Vision and Dis Jr. live on stage. Then we're doing the Dis Jr character meal. Then we're heading to AK where I have FP for Safari, Meet Mickey, and then FP for EE and DINOSAUR for the two adults. We'll take turns riding those while the kids are in the boneyard. The plan is to ride safari, do flights of wonder, meet Mickey, then the boneyard for an hour and then leave.

Frankly I can't see spending an entire day at AK or HS when there's just nothing there that comes close to competing with Magic Kingdom for little kids. The Safari is great. Nothing else in those two parks comes close to Fantasyland for the little ones. The only reason we're going to HS is because my DS3 loves the Muppets. Our vacation time is limited, why should we spend it doing sub-par attractions when Fantasyland exists.

I think this really depends on the child. My friends took their son who was a toddler (2.5), and he had far more fun with a full day at Animal Kingdom and Sea World, than MK! My DS will be 8, and while I know he will love MK - he absolutely loves animals, and he would far rather walk around looking at animals than go on big rides, and he's getting past the "little" rides. Between all the walking trails, the two shows (my kids love live theatre), doing the safari a couple times, Kali, playing at the Boneyard, doing the Wilderness Explorers program... AK will EASILY a full-day park for us. Always neat to see how different people view different things.

I agree on HS though, for us. It will be a half day park, and honestly, if it weren't for the fact that the kids saw some of the Indiana Jones show on You Tube and are now DYING to see it... I wouldn't even bother going. I'd be spending the extra day at Epcot.

DHS is BOTH of my DD's favourite park. They always want at least 2 days (full) there on our 10-12 days vacations. I'm happy with that because I love doing Animation Academy both days and one day we will eat at 50's and the second day we will eat at Sci-Fi:-)
Can you tell me what Mulch, Sweat and Shears is???
Not sure if someone replied to the Mulch Sweat ad Shears question.

It is an 80's cover band, who drive along in a truck that looks like a landscaping truck. It stops in designated spaces, drops down one side of the truck to expose a stage, pops open the front to display sound and mixing systems and then ROCK on. It is an entertaining show, with some participation from the crowd. All in all, a good 20 min break to dance in the street and have some fun.

DHS is BOTH of my DD's favourite park. They always want at least 2 days (full) there on our 10-12 days vacations. I'm happy with that because I love doing Animation Academy both days and one day we will eat at 50's and the second day we will eat at Sci-Fi:-)
Can you tell me what Mulch, Sweat and Shears is???

Sure! Basically they are a band that play classic rock plus some. They travel around the park in a truck made up to look like they're a lawn maintenance crew. In addition to awesome music they involve the crowd in lots of fun ways, the lead singer is hysterical; its just a good time. The music is great for us not-so-much-kids ;) but every time I've seen them they've had young kids in the crowd come up and sing/dance with them. DS played "air drums" with them one time and was given a pair of drum sticks he still has and won't get rid of even though he's almost 13 :). And I played cow bell with them on "Honky-Tonk Woman" :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I bet you can find YouTube videos of them!

Not sure if someone replied to the Mulch Sweat ad Shears question.

It is an 80's cover band, who drive along in a truck that looks like a landscaping truck. It stops in designated spaces, drops down one side of the truck to expose a stage, pops open the front to display sound and mixing systems and then ROCK on. It is an entertaining show, with some participation from the crowd. All in all, a good 20 min break to dance in the street and have some fun.

Beat me by 1 minute :p

Thanks for the list!

These are all minor attractions IMO. American Idol wasn't popular in recent years, and the pirate experience thing wasn't either, and it replaced another unpopular attraction (Prince Caspien). Frozen Sing along has been added, so that's good. The biggest changes I see is the closure of backlot tour, and the removal of the hat.

I guess my point is that HS isn't much different at all than just 5 years ago. So if you are complaining about HS now, you're talking about pretty dang much the same park as it's been the last 5 years.

Dan

Except for Toy Story Mania and the new and improved Star Tours. Or has TSM been open for 5 years now?

Besides closing down the Backlot tour, what attractions are different at HS in the last 5 years?

The only thing I know is what they've closed. Sound Studio/American Idol, the Pirate movie/thing they had (which I enjoyed), Backlot Tour/Catastrophe Canyon, and longer than 5 years ago Ace Ventura Stunt Show, Ninja Turtles, Hunchback play (which was fabulous). Only new things I know of (in recent years) is TSMM, and Lights, Motors, Action. They had already downsized the Backlot Tour from where you would do the Honey I Shrunk the Kids filming.

Except for Toy Story Mania and the new and improved Star Tours. Or has TSM been open for 5 years now?

Hmm... It was there in 2010 when we went. I looked it up and it opened in 2008.

The one thing that I REALLY miss, (and I forgot about this one) was the afternoon parade. One of my favorite in all the parks. So much energy and fun.

Dan

I am saddened by its state.
I would not pay a single day ticket price for it.

However, there are things I still enjoy that make visiting with a park hopper or AP perfectly fine. I can't see telling someone to not visit at all if either of those are options for them. Even without a park hopper, I could see spending a partial day there at least on a multi day ticket as there is still plenty to do and see.
Morning at AK , evening at DHS. That's how we have done it for the last decade. There isn't enough at either place to warrant a full day unless it is your first or only visit to WDW. As repeat visitors often we don't even bother with one or the other some years.

Hmm... It was there in 2010 when we went. I looked it up and it opened in 2008.

The one thing that I REALLY miss, (and I forgot about this one) was the afternoon parade. One of my favorite in all the parks. So much energy and fun.

Dan

Yep. I miss the DAK parade too

I think all 3 parks are broken in their own way, other than MK. I would pay the $100 ticket for a full day at MK if I only had one day to spend in Orlando. I would not spend the one day ticket price for the other three, $50 at most. Anyway, I don't think it's just DHS, I think it's all three but for different reasons. Hopefully they all get help soon but everything takes so long at at WDW so who knows.

HS has never been a park I was fond of- take away TOT and Fantasmic and I have no reason to go. Keep them and it's a half day park for me easily. I don't actually mind, there's only so much we can do and I'd rather focus on the other parks. AK is 2nd only to the MK for us. We find more to do there than we can get through in day and visit it several times during a trip. I imagine HS will be amazing when they do something with Star Wars- but since I'm not a Star Wars fan, it's not a big deal one way or the other. The Frozen Summer stuff we love and that's what will bring us back to HS on this next trip for more than just a couple of hours. Some people are sick of Frozen, but the kids can't seem to get enough of it. So no, not disgusted at all. Not all parks can be everyone's favorites.

I guess they are making new plans, but what HS offers now is pretty dismal. and I used to love that park. I'm planning a trip for Sept. but if they keep closing attractions there maybe we will give it a miss this time. Hope the new offerings are great and will be something to look forward to in the future. Agree that they have closed too much at one time...not leaving enough to enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter