Is anyone else disappointed?

I am not surprised about no new tours in this economic climate, but I am surprised that there is not a lot to tie into the Magic being in Europe in 2010.

I am also very annoyed that many itineraries not only don't have an adults only trip but the trips that are offered are mostly summer dates. I am not sure I want to spend over $5000 (thanks single supplement) on a vacation where I have to settle for dates I don't want.
Yep, I'm totally with you on that.

I also didn't get the email that ABDlily stated was forthcomming, has anyone else received it.
I did get the email:

Exclusive Offer for Past Guests

Hello Again, [Sayhello]!

The 2010 Destinations and Departure Dates Are Now Available in Our eBrochure and at AdventuresByDisney.com.

When you traveled with us, you didn't just go on vacation—you became part of a family. The Adventures by Disney family. That's why we want you to be among the very first to discover our 2010 destinations.

Like you, we don't just travel the world, we cherish it. And making our 2010 brochure available online enables us to help protect and preserve our greatest asset together.

We look forward to seeing you on another vacation soon. Perhaps in Europe. Or here in North America. Maybe even in a far-off, exotic land. Whichever destination you choose, Adventures by Disney will handle the details. So you can spend your time having the time of your life. Again!

Remember—book early for great rates and the best availability.
It included a code to use when booking.

Sayhello

Yep, I'm totally with you on that.

I did get the email:

It included a code to use when booking.

Sayhello

I haven't gotten an email.

Remember—book early for great rates and the best availability.

And I'm finding that last sentence a bit irritating. It's misleading to suggest that there is some monetary benefit to booking early when there is no discount. Or are they planning to raise rates later?

I know from speaking to some of my friends who were guides, that the Spain trip and the Flavors of France trip were not very popular.

I would be surprised though, if they came back in a few years ... but under a different name (like the Canadian Rockies and Northern California ones did). :)

As far as the prices going up ... I understand why people are upset about it, but the prices would have had to go up at some point, right? Maybe next year they won't go up. *Wishful thinking?*

I was surprised that the price of the European trips went up. With the dollar stronger ABD must have gotten better contracts with the hotels. I thought they would leave the prices the same. They are making more money and if they left the prices alone people wouldn't have been as upset.

I received the $100 email offer for past guests at 4:38 CDT

Hi Gayle!
It's Wendy and Jasmine from Germany. How are you guys doing? Did you say you went to Alaska this year? How was it?

Czech Republic and Austria were not nearly as good as Germany. We did see Jason in Vienna while he was there though.

Take care,
Wendy

And I'm finding that last sentence a bit irritating. It's misleading to suggest that there is some monetary benefit to booking early when there is no discount. Or are they planning to raise rates later?
I thought it was a bit ironic myself. And yes, the impression I've gotten is that the prices will go up as time goes by and/or the trips start to fill up.

Sayhello

I thought it was a bit ironic myself. And yes, the impression I've gotten is that the prices will go up as time goes by and/or the trips start to fill up.

Sayhello

Oh well...maybe I'll love some other touring company just as much. I'm pretty easy to please.

I don't think anybody disagrees with you. If we didn't love ABD we wouldn't keep coming back and we wouldn't be as disappointed as some of us are today. It's not so much that the cost is more than other touring companies, it's that the cost is so much more than the same trip with ABD was last year. At least that is the case with the trip I was planning to take. I was perfectly willing to pay a bit more than last year's EBD, but for the two of us the price for just the land package (no insurance, etc.) is $2640 more than it was last year with the EBD. And there are other Galapogos trip dates that are even higher than the one I was planning to book. Why such a difference? The itinerary is the same. I would never even have looked at any other touring company if ABD hadn't priced themselves out of the running. But now that I have, I don't see the big price increase from last year at the other companies. I guess I was foolish to set my expectations on what ABD has done in past years. If I hadn't been looking forward to this day and hadn't been so sure that I would be booking another awesome vacation today, I wouldn't be so disappointed.
Now, that point I can see and agree with..if the cost is so high compared to last year, then maybe they have priced themselves out of what is acceptable for many. I can certainly understand the shock of the high cost increases in trips leading people to reconsider if they want to pay for ABD or go with another tour company. I can imagine they got rid of the 'early booking discount' because confusion was widespread about just what that meant..it was explained to me when I booked that it wasn't a time frame, but a number of people in a particular tour. I also find it upsetting that the posted rates may be the lowest and will continue to rise..but maybe they are the highest and will go down..which makes it even worse.
That is, I see, a disturbing trend with Disney across the board. it does seem that the real go getters (like us) who jump on things in the beginning get pretty much blindsided when prices plunge after they've bought (3 for 5 packages, DVC properties) I hope this isn't a trend or the Disney brand will take a hit.
So..I do understand why many are upset and looking elsewhere, but let's not forget what a spectacular product they offer (oh yea..I do agree the 'loyalty' discount is chintzy..repeat customers should certainly be more appreciated)

The poster above who noted that the dollar is stronger in Europe now has a good point. When everyone is struggling, how very arrogant of Disney to think that they can just continue to up their prices, provide fewer choices, eliminate early booking discounts for the loyal, and nickel and dime their guests, without any consequences. Maybe Disney no longer relies on repeat customers, but figures instead that the Disney name will continue to bring in enough first timers to keep them afloat.

If you go on a $3000 trip you get $100 off for being a repeat? Thats 3%

DCL gives me 10% off the rack rate and depending on the length of the cruise
up to $200 SBC!! Thats why I book on the boat before getting off and then have my TA handle the rest!

What's wrong with this picture!!

For my family of four the Germany trip has increased from $9636 to $13,016. That is a 34% increase. To make this increase worse, the dollar is 6% stronger against the EURO today from the same time last year. I'm not an economist, but this increase looks to me like the equivalent of a 40% increase in price.

Our family of four and our best friends family of four were all ready to book today. We were calling this morning to put down our deposit. Even with the 6% improvement in the dollar we were prepared for an increase in price from last year. 2008 Germany was $8816 for a family of four. It increased to $9636 in 2009. Now the increase has the trip at $13,016. So this trip has increased 48% in two years. Either Disney was not making any money two years ago, or Disney is taking us to the bank with these new prices.

We had a very difficult talk tonight with our best friends who were planning on taking their family of four on this trip with us. We all decided that we may just cancel the whole idea and do some non-Disney trips this year. We sure would have liked to give Disney our $10,000 and our friends $10,000.

Glad I sold my Disney stock last week. Not that this will really impact it, but I don't see decisions like this helping the stock any.

Chad

Hi Gayle!
It's Wendy and Jasmine from Germany. How are you guys doing? Did you say you went to Alaska this year? How was it?

Czech Republic and Austria were not nearly as good as Germany. We did see Jason in Vienna while he was there though.

Take care,
Wendy

Hi there, you two world travelers! Yes, we got back from Alaska 10 or so days ago and had a great time! Very different than Germany (more like the Costa Rica trip we took in 2007), but wonderfully orchestrated---the logictics were complicated, but ABD did a fantastic job of making it seamless. I posted some alaska thoughts earlier this evening.

I'm sorry you didn't like the Czech Republlic and Austria as well as Germany---we were thinking about that trip--I didn't predict that ABD would reduce their European selection so much (of course, now that there are no ABD early booking rates and the cost is soooo high, this single mom has to re-think our summer travel for 2010) What did you like/dislike about the tour---was it the countries or ABD?

Are you still thinking about an ABD trip for summer 2010?

Hugs to Jasmine from Caroline and me!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Hi there, you two world travelers! Yes, we got back from Alaska 10 or so days ago and had a great time! Very different than Germany (more like the Costa Rica trip we took in 2007), but wonderfully orchestrated---the logictics were complicated, but ABD did a fantastic job of making it seamless. I posted some alaska thoughts earlier this evening.

I'm sorry you didn't like the Czech Republlic and Austria as well---we were thinking about that trip (of course, now that there are no early booking rates and the cost is soooo high, this single mom has to re-think our summer travel for 2010) What did you like/dislike about it? Are you still thinking about an ABD trip for 2010?

Hugs to Jasmine from Caroline and me!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Disney already made your mind up for you. The Czech Republic and Austria trip is not available for 2010. Sorry :sad2:

Yes---I did see that the European selection was greatly reduced. Very sad that some of the variety is gone.

btw--I am new posting to these boards---how great is it that you have 2918 posts!

Wow! A lot of people quoted my post! I wasn't trying to start an argument though, hence the *whishful thinking* at the end of my post. :)

I understand you are all very upset. I was just trying to look at the other side of things. I believe that every story has two sides.

I just can't sit here and think that Disney is this evil empire with evil people at the helm just trying to make our lives difficult, and preventing us from taking a great vacation. Bottom line: It's a business and we may never understand the reason that they make the decisions that they do, but they are in charge and can do what they like.

I for one, am not ready to just wash my hands of them just yet ... next year they might change their prices again, or offer more discounts. I'll be right here waiting for them. :)

Wow! A lot of people quoted my post! I wasn't trying to start an argument though, hence the *whishful thinking* at the end of my post. :)

I understand you are all very upset. I was just trying to look at the other side of things. I believe that every story has two sides.

I just can't sit here and think that Disney is this evil empire with evil people at the helm just trying to make our lives difficult, and preventing us from taking a great vacation. Bottom line: It's a business and we may never understand the reason that they make the decisions that they do, but they are in charge and can do what they like.

I for one, am not ready to just wash my hands of them just yet ... next year they might change their prices again, or offer more discounts. I'll be right here waiting for them. :)

That could happen and pigs could also fly but I won't hold my breath waiting for either to happen. As another poster pointed out, the ABDlily poster seemed to imply that new and exciting things are still being rolled out and that people who book later on may end up getting better rates than those of us who book or would have booked today, here is the problem, I wouldn't be able to cancel and rebook at the better rate because of the non forgiving cancellation policy ABD has in place , if I book a trip to WDW or DL and a better deal comes along I can easily cancel and rebook (well that was before DVC, now I don't worry about deals at the parks) . Couple that with the fear factor of them cancelling trips (been there, done that TWICE really don't feel like going for strike three) the lack of dates outside of June July and August (really the biggest issue for me) and you have a very unhappy Disney Lovin person, who has still has the ability and $$ to plunk down $5000+++ for a vacation but doens't want to spend that much money and be unhappy with it.

After the great cancellation fiasco this year and them trying to make amends after I wrote a letter I was gung ho and ready willing and able to book a 2010trip with ABD but after today I am not at all willing to just hand over my money. Disney had a great product but with all the issues they have and the decisions they have made they are slowly destroying that product.

I have another question that maybe someone can answer. On each itinerary, the prices are listed as from x to y. When you look at the dates and rates, neither x (the lowest) nor y (the highest) is listed on any date. That was true last year as well. What's the deal with that?

Also, last year, we booked immediately and got all the discounts. Several weeks later, the price of the week we had booked went up on the website, and all other weeks stayed the same. Just curious if anyone noticed similar changes on other trips.

I have another question that maybe someone can answer. On each itinerary, the prices are listed as from x to y. When you look at the dates and rates, neither x (the lowest) nor y (the highest) is listed on any date. That was true last year as well. What's the deal with that?

Also, last year, we booked immediately and got all the discounts. Several weeks later, the price of the week we had booked went up on the website, and all other weeks stayed the same. Just curious if anyone noticed similar changes on other trips.

I've noticed that highest/lowest thing before and I don't get it either. I just ignore it and look at the prices for each date. I've also noticed that other travel companies do the same thing.

If you go on a $3000 trip you get $100 off for being a repeat? Thats 3%

DCL gives me 10% off the rack rate and depending on the length of the cruise
up to $200 SBC!! Thats why I book on the boat before getting off and then have my TA handle the rest!

Exactly.

We've been hesitant to book an ABD trip in the past because we're a military family, and the ABD cancelation policy is just too strict for us. We can never book a trip a year in advance with absolute certainty that DH's schedule won't change. But we've been wanting to try ABD for years, and I was considering biting the bullet and buying the trip insurance so we could book with the early booking discount.

With the news of the elimination of EBD's, and the dramatic price increases, coupled with recent troubling posts of a decline in quality, I think we'll be staying with DCL instead. We're currently booked on the 5/15 Med sailing. DCL gave us a 20% onboard booking discount, along with a $400 shipboard credit. We're also hoping they may release military discounts, as they have in the past. And on DCL, I can cancel up to 90 days in advance with no penalty.

I think I'll stick with cruising.

After seeing these new prices, I know we will not be booking again with AbD for 2010. Perhaps because my husband and I don't have any children, but we found travelling on our own was just as much fun as travelling with AbD (plus we got much better food :rotfl:). We did a European vacation with AbD plus we have done a European vacation on our own so I feel that I have a basis for comparison. The plus side for AbD was that it was easier to make arrangements to get into some of the museums, etc. but the down side was the bland non-adventurous food.

Two of the trips we were considering for 2010 were Costa Rica (our 09 one was cancelled and we did not rebook it because there were no adults only left) and Spain. Spain is gone now and I had a travel agent cost out a Costa Rican trip, staying at a 5 star all inclusive with the side excursions that had interested me, and we can go on our own much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter