Is Anyone Disappointed with Priority Seating Program?

disneynut2007

Earning My Ears
I just came back from a week at Disney and I found this trip to be the most frustrating with regard to the PS program. Years ago, when PS was first introduced, it was advertised that it was NOT a reservation, but a time where you would be put ahead of other "walkins" and therefore, be seated more quickly. With this most recent trip, I made a couple of PS appts, but I don't like to overschedule everything, as I like to have the freedom to choose. On our last night there, we showed up EARLY at Ohana (4:30pm) and we were told that the manager instructed the staff that they could not take any walkins. We then went to Narcoose's, which was empty and we were told the same thing. We then went to Citteros and the cafe at the GF and again, told the same thing. Again, this was at 4:30-before the dinner crowd. We then went to Crystal Palace and I was told that they couldn't seat me for 2 weeks! I was under the impression that they only held a certain number of PS slots and the rest were for walkins. Clearly this is not the case anymore. It seems that all dining is reservation only. Any suggestions? Next time, shall I book dinner at several spots per night and depending on where we end up, take one of the reservations. I'm told a reason is the overwhelming number of free dining plans that were given with reservations made last year. Has anyone else experienced this?

but Priority Seating has given way to Advance Dining Reservations and you really need them. Especially during free dining, going on right now, walkups get nothing. If you want to eat at a sit down restaurant, you need reservations. Not having a spontaneous bone in my body, I can and do make my ADRs as soon as my window opens (and I love 180 days in advance!!)

WDW restaurants don't hold any tables for walkups. This has been the case since the dining plan came along a few years ago. What you experienced has pretty much been the norm since then.

I don't like planning meals months in advance, either, but the reality is, if you want to be certain of getting into a WDW restaurant, you make an ADR. It's just the way things are.

Making duplicate reservations for the same meal isn't permitted. Some folks who have attempted this have found that Disney has cancelled both reservations.

My husband hates being "told where to go, when to go, and which way to get there", but I insisted on figuring out which park we were going to on any given day, and making ONE TS reservation for that day. He didn't see the need for it, but once free dining started and I showed him posts like yours, of frustrated people not being able to just go eat, he was glad I did it. I'm trying to convince his cousin and her DH to make ADRs (for their Nov. 8-13 trip) but they aren't listening. Even after reading them these posts!

It's nothing like it was last time we visited (6/03)

Next time, shall I book dinner at several spots per night and depending on where we end up, take one of the reservations. I'm told a reason is the overwhelming number of free dining plans that were given with reservations made last year. Has anyone else experienced this?

Getting into restaurants as walkups is nearly impossible during the free dining promotion, but you can't walkup to the more popular restaurants during other times of the year and expect to get seated either. If you go again during a free dining promotion, you must make your reservations early. If you go during another time of the year, you can call in and get a reservation the morning of as long as you are flexible with location and time. But again, don't expect the most popular restaurants to have openings.

If you make multiple reservations for the same time period, Disney may cancel all your reservations and not just the ones you are double-booked for. There have been posts from people who had their ressies cancelled for that reason.

Unfortunately, that's how it is now.

Thanks for the suggestions! Since I belong to DVC, I never do the dining plans and obviously I was out of the loop on this one! Lesson learned here. I will definitely be making reservations at favorite spots 180 days out. I still won't overschedule every meal of every day, but a few special spots that we like will definitely be reserved.

. It seems that all dining is reservation only. Any suggestions? Next time, shall I book dinner at several spots per night and depending on where we end up, take one of the reservations. I'm told a reason is the overwhelming number of free dining plans that were given with reservations made last year. Has anyone else experienced this?

My suggestion is to pay more attention to the Disboards BEFORE your next trip to WDW. Those conditions are discussed every day here.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter