Is Anybody Disappointed?

:) Sometimes you have to be careful getting or basing your decisions on anything you read here. We love Disney. We have been to Disney every year for the last eight years. DH and I share this vacation together and with family every year. We had stayed all but one of our trips in Values until we bought in. It was worth every penny but then this what we wanted to do with our money. We knew Disney was a sure bet for us due to our travel patterns. You have to decide how serioue is a dent on the table, not having your trash emptied every day, etc. We were going to be here anyway and now we have room to stretch out, no longer feel the need to go commando and actually can enjoy the adult feel of AKV, our home. Fulton's food was not as good last year...so we will probably replace it with another restaurant on our next trip.

Are you a glass half full or half empty person. Sometimes I just wonder what people expect. Is my 20K investment worth it for the next 47 years? If every vacation is half as nice as the one we took for our first trip this past Nov...the purchase for us will be priceless.

I am certainly a glass half-full kind of person. Having weighed everything out and making a pros and cons list, I am almost certain how to move forward.

When I add up the dollars I have already spent vacationing in WDW, it makes me sick to my stomach. I could have already paid off my ownership and still had money left over.

:) Sometimes you have to be careful getting or basing your decisions on anything you read here. You have to decide how serioue is a dent on the table, not having your trash emptied every day, etc.

Are you a glass half full or half empty person. Sometimes I just wonder what people expect. Is my 20K investment worth it for the next 47 years? If every vacation is half as nice as the one we took for our first trip this past Nov...the purchase for us will be priceless.

This person expects a clean room at least as clean at the Hampton Inn on the Interstate, lately we have not gotten that. I could care less about trash being taken out or daily maid service. I can easily remove my own trash and straighten my beds. However when I check into a villa and there is blood in the refrigerator, hair and moldy food and glass on the kitchen floor, I expect better. I expect better than checking in to DVC resort late at night, tired and ready for a room only to be put into two rooms that were taken out of service because one the bed was broken and the other the toliet was broken, luggage lost and keys to my car lost in valet parking.

A dent in the table no problem, major stains on carpeting that no one has tried to clean, broken ovens, drawers that are broken and do not work, is not acceptable.

If your opinion of DVC is valid then so are those that have not had pleasant experiences of late. Hopefully you will be lucky enough not to experience those but when you do are you going to simply look the other way or voice your concerns.

No one was a greater fan of all things Disney than my family but lately they are not living up to the standard they set, not the one I expect.

If the water in the class is nasty and moldy you can bet I ain't drinking it, if that makes me a half empty person so be it.

The sad thing is that as Disneynutz said they have the ability to make it the best experience ever but lately they are dropping the ball. Every DVC resort should be at least as good as any deluxe resort and that is simply not the case.

I have both bought direct from Disney and through resale at TTS. Other than the waiting, the resale is better. The Disney guides are comforting and you can secure a reservation the day you purchase, but you can save at least $2,000 or more with a resale. Buying resale is safe but does take patience to get a contract you like and wait for Disney not to buy it back. Plus you could get a home resort not currently offered through Disney. Until you buy, you'll drive yourself nuts --- at least I did! Hope this helps.

Hi: We joined 10 years ago; our biggest regret is not buying in sooner. We enjoy "treating" - taking other people to WDW-family and friends. Sometimes we do not go every year and save up points for a larger group trip. The last large group trip we took had 19 people- rack rate on the rooms with tax would have been over $ 20k-even if you got a super code and got half off, we wouldn't have been able to foot a $ 10k resort bill. We have enjoyed relaxing vacations without having to feel we needed to "do it all" every time; we know we'll be back.

My adult daughter and I purchased at BLT last May and are so glad we did. We have saved our points and plan to take our entire family - all 32 of us (my sister and brothers, their kids and grandkids as well as my son and granddaughters!) this coming Christmas. I haven't checked to see what it would cost for four 2 bedroom lock off rooms at that time of year (with one MK view) but I know that my family couldn't afford to stay at BLT and I sure couldn't aford to pay for it for them. But I can give it to them as our dvc shares! That is exactly why we wanted dvc - to bring friends and family to share in our trips! To see the faces of my siblings, their children and grandchildren as well as my own grandchildren will be a memory I will never forget!:thumbsup2

This person expects a clean room at least as clean at the Hampton Inn on the Interstate, lately we have not gotten that. I could care less about trash being taken out or daily maid service. I can easily remove my own trash and straighten my beds. However when I check into a villa and there is blood in the refrigerator, hair and moldy food and glass on the kitchen floor, I expect better. I expect better than checking in to DVC resort late at night, tired and ready for a room only to be put into two rooms that were taken out of service because one the bed was broken and the other the toliet was broken, luggage lost and keys to my car lost in valet parking.

A dent in the table no problem, major stains on carpeting that no one has tried to clean, broken ovens, drawers that are broken and do not work, is not acceptable.

If your opinion of DVC is valid then so are those that have not had pleasant experiences of late. Hopefully you will be lucky enough not to experience those but when you do are you going to simply look the other way or voice your concerns.

No one was a greater fan of all things Disney than my family but lately they are not living up to the standard they set, not the one I expect.

If the water in the class is nasty and moldy you can bet I ain't drinking it, if that makes me a half empty person so be it.

The sad thing is that as Disneynutz said they have the ability to make it the best experience ever but lately they are dropping the ball. Every DVC resort should be at least as good as any deluxe resort and that is simply not the case.

Thanks, Sammie. I always enjoy your posts and knowing your opinions. ;) I will have to admit, I do have some concerns regarding quality. I have been going to Disney for 10 years and do see a decline in each visit. I try not to be a complainer and use terms like "its the economy" or "maybe a poor mousekeeper for my room" or maybe even "Disney is not a perfect company" - - BUT, when I am committing to 47 years, I am not sure that I want to make those comments after each stay.

I do not have to have daily mousekeeping or trash service, but overall cleanliness when I check-in, clean grounds, up-kept rooms and everything being in good working condition is VERY important.

I was very pleased with my stay at the Wilderness Lodge this past December and hope that every stay is like that one. :goodvibes

Thank you everybody!! There are some fantastic responses - most all of which I have considered.

We have a family of 3 and only 2 of us are real WDW nuts. I could go yearly without question, so I think it is a great deal. We are looking into buying at AKL and so that is what I am comparing my rates too. I do not have to stay Savanna, so I was comparing to standard rooms - - - - - - - but the more I mull over everything, I think BLT is more what I should be going for. :)

Thanks again for all of the feedback - it has truly helped me and I am ready to call the CM back that I toured with while in WDW this past December.

I would really look hard at BLT over AKV for the booking window and lower MF. I suspect with AKV being as large as it is booking there will be easy at 7 months. Just really really really think about your vacation habits and where you will want to stay. Only you can weigh cost vs booking window vs contract length etc. Remember at 7 months points are points only difference is you buy in and MFs.

I do not have to have daily mousekeeping or trash service, but overall cleanliness when I check-in, clean grounds, up-kept rooms and everything being in good working condition is VERY important.

That is all we want and lately we are not getting it and it concerns me. I have 32 years left with DVC and each year that passes I am getting more and more concerned with some of their management decisions.

I just feel like sales is the emphasis and not the current membership. But DVC best learn something from Toyota, makes no difference how great your product has been or your reputation, you disappoint the current owner and you are going to lose both your reputation and sales.

We bought last April. In addition to the positive things others have said we also considered one other factor.

We knew we would get our moneys worth over the next 5 years. We also knew of our situation changed we could always sell and recoup much of the cost.

Jim

We bought BWV in Sept 2000, added points in November 2000 and then bought WLV when it went up for sale. We do not regret buying at all. Before DVC we would go to WDW about every 18th months, since buying DVC we usually go twice each year. We always stay in one BR for just the 2 of us because we enjoy the space, convenience of having a washer/dryer in the room and having a kitchen. We have taken family members with us and have stayed in a 2 BR twice. This would not have been possible before DVC.

As for those who state that DVC should be kept up as well as Disney keeps up the other resorts ---- remember that improvements and upgrades to DVC properties are paid for by our maintenance fees, NOT by Disney.

We do not regret buying and any time we have found issues when we have checked in, we have called maintenance and they have been taken care of quickly.

We used to have about 550 points and now are down to 150 and at the end of this year we will be down to 50. We will keep 50 for the perks and so we can transfer points to our account should we wish to use DVC again.

I do not loathe DVC but I have found the lack of attention to existing members disconcerting. We must have a black mark on our membership because we have gotten pretty much the worst rooms money can buy (Laundry/Trash at VML - TWICE, Parking Lot BLT MK View, The room over Big River saloon at BWV)

Last weekend we again had the BW room next to BRS - first room on the 3rd floor had a broken toilet - the piece actually broke off so you could not stop the water from recycling...now how in the world did housekeeping not notice it (especially when the broken piece was nowhere to be found) they flat out did not care.

We went back and asked for a room ANYWHERE because they said they were 100% full and no room was available - then they found a room and told us to go down stairs and get the key - when we got down there the room vanished - we were told that the room number did not exist.

One hour later they gave us 2013 which is literally on top on BRS as our only option on the entire WDW footprint which I found hilarious as the front desk guy told me that BWV was 95% full and BWI was 90%.

They really wanted me to go back to 3006 and promised someone would fix the toilet and since we already had a disappearing room and no vacancies yet vacancies I told them I preferred a room that had a working toilet over a hope that the toilet would be fixed.

All in all it was a nice trip but we must be the unluckiest people in the world or this is common.

We also own MVCI which we really enjoy.

I tell people now buy a small contract and see if it is for you, with points renting so cheap it is better to do a once a year point transfer or check out the discounts on WDW itself. We love SSR and the deals they have are great. Sure the economy will turn around eventually but you really don't know where you will be in 5 years and as your kids get older you may not enjoy doing all of your trips at WDW.

That is all we want and lately we are not getting it and it concerns me. I have 32 years left with DVC and each year that passes I am getting more and more concerned with some of their management decisions.

I just feel like sales is the emphasis and not the current membership. But DVC best learn something from Toyota, makes no difference how great your product has been or your reputation, you disappoint the current owner and you are going to lose both your reputation and sales.

We used to have about 550 points and now are down to 150 and at the end of this year we will be down to 50. We will keep 50 for the perks and so we can transfer points to our account should we wish to use DVC again.

I do not loathe DVC but I have found the lack of attention to existing members disconcerting. We must have a black mark on our membership because we have gotten pretty much the worst rooms money can buy (Laundry/Trash at VML - TWICE, Parking Lot BLT MK View, The room over Big River saloon at BWV)

Last weekend we again had the BW room next to BRS - first room on the 3rd floor had a broken toilet - the piece actually broke off so you could not stop the water from recycling...now how in the world did housekeeping not notice it (especially when the broken piece was nowhere to be found) they flat out did not care.

We went back and asked for a room ANYWHERE because they said they were 100% full and no room was available - then they found a room and told us to go down stairs and get the key - when we got down there the room vanished - we were told that the room number did not exist.

One hour later they gave us 2013 which is literally on top on BRS as our only option on the entire WDW footprint which I found hilarious as the front desk guy told me that BWV was 95% full and BWI was 90%.

They really wanted me to go back to 3006 and promised someone would fix the toilet and since we already had a disappearing room and no vacancies yet vacancies I told them I preferred a room that had a working toilet over a hope that the toilet would be fixed.

All in all it was a nice trip but we must be the unluckiest people in the world or this is common.

We also own MVCI which we really enjoy.

I tell people now buy a small contract and see if it is for you, with points renting so cheap it is better to do a once a year point transfer or check out the discounts on WDW itself. We love SSR and the deals they have are great. Sure the economy will turn around eventually but you really don't know where you will be in 5 years and as your kids get older you may not enjoy doing all of your trips at WDW.

Thank you for sharing the negative points. I need to consider all options and decide if this is something I really want to commit to. I am leaning towards yes, but I don't want to make any hasty decisions.

Please continue to keep all thoughts and experiences coming. :) Thanks again.

We used to visit WDW once every year and a half or so and we would notice small issues with our DVC room, cleanliness, maintenance, or even the view, but always thought that it was a case of bad luck.

As we purchased additional points our visits increase to 2 or 3 times per year and we noticed that most of the time we had issues each and every time.

Last December we stayed for over 3 weeks and stayed at 4 different resorts.

BWV - 1 Bedroom, Boardwalk View
Room was recently rehabbed so it was clean and in good shape. We had 3 defective apartment size refrigerators, the issue was very disruptive to our stay. The refrigerators were new and a Chinese off brand that Disney got a deal on. The last one worked fine, but it was time to check out and move to the next resort.

Jambo - 2 Bedroom, Concierge
Room was in good shape. Concierge offerings were a nice touch. Savanna view from room was just so so with roof obscuring view.

Kidani - 2 Bedroom, Savanna View
Room was dusty with trash behind chair. View was the rear of the pool area, requested to be moved but nothing available for 2 days. Front Desk CM mentioned that they get complaints about those rooms all the time. T&T day no one came, called and received a bathroom set for 4 people, not 8.

BLT - One Bedroom, Lake View
Room was not pre assigned even with online check in. According to the Front Desk CM, the Friday night crew is lazy and never does their jobs correctly. Room wasn't available until until after 5:00. Trash wasn't emptied, missing ice bucket, room was dusty, view was Contemporary boat dock. T&T day, bathroom supplies not restocked, ran out of TP.

So you can see that the above issues aren't deal breakers, but they really shouldn't happen. As I have posted before, Disney could fix these types of issues but they choose not to.

Next week BWV for 2 weeks, Boardwalk View and Garden/Pool View. :cheer2:

:) Bill

Thanks, Disneynutz. You are right, they are not necessarily deal breakers, but they are situations/instances that should not happen. Some of that is a lot of hassel for the investment you are making.

I hope your vacation next week is wonderful with no issues. :)

Just remember that for every person who has had a bad experience, there are people who have had nothing but good ones. I am not saying that DVC is perfect by any means. But since we bought in 2006 and added on twice since then, we have had fantastic vacations that we would never have had otherwise. We're really not the types of people to nitpick over things though, we just choose to have a good time on our vacation.

My only regret is also wishing we had bought in sooner. If I were buying now I would probably go resale, but all our contracts went through DVC.

I love being a DVC member :goodvibes

I'm with Slakk, buy a small contract and see how it fits. I bought 160 points( I was thinking ideally we would need 300 but wanted to test water.) Worked out perfect, I have from rental board got a transfer of 200 points at 9$. I use the AP perks, and some times rent other peoples points at 8 - 9$ a point. 6.25$ once! (We go at least 2 times a year, and stay 11 days or so, about 1/2 each trip in a 1 bedroom and 1/ in a studio.) Having some points, renting others and using disney direct promos worked out 100000% the best for us.

I don't know if I would add any more on, for now I like having the options to go more, and the option to transfer in, and the option .. . not to go. If rental rates/ transfer rates sky rocketed. .. I would consider..although unlikely.

I also rec. buying resale find a contract with 2008, 2009, and 2010 points on it. We bought ours with (2 months away from) 3 years worth of points and enjoyed 2 years + worth of VK on a resale SSR, for about 13K. (Esp true at AK, or SSR. BLT not much resale dif in $$. )
I like the ...go with about 1/2 as many points as you think you would actally like on a full contract. Go on 3- 4 vac. by using banked points, maybe a transfer in, borrowing points, by then you will know what you want, if you want it, if you want more, and by then maybe have a fav resort to buy seperate points at.

good luck :wizard:

No way am I cramming all 4 of us into even a Deluxe room at WDW. Don't care how much of a discount Disney offers us.

We bought DVC for 2br villas, boys get their own beds(13/8), DH and I get privacy and everyone is happy.

Amen! This was exactly THE reason why we bought DVC. 2 adults and 2 kids in a regular hotel just doesn't work for us anymore. Having that space to spread out after a long, hot day at the parks makes all the difference in the world for us. :thumbsup2

We're only disappointed that we didn't take the tour and buy in when we were in Disney on our honeymoon in 2001.

Instead, we bought in 2007.

Knock on wood, we've had no problems on any of our trips. The only TINY thing was that we couldn't get a proper spatula to save our lives when we stayed at a 2BR at BCV. That's it. No trash issues, no towel problems, no broken things....

**knocking on wood!**

I responded on another person's thread who was thinking about buying in, but will try to summarize here. Our first trip was a week in a 2BR Villa at BCV. We took my parents and grandmother (DH and I don't have kids.) We never could have afforded to get that kind of room without DVC! We had a fabulous time! I still chuckle every time I think about how much my dad talked about how much he loved riding Soarin'.... over and over...even a few years later, he still talks about it once in awhile. And my grandmother is 85 (still doing GREAT), but how wonderful was it to be able to take her along with us! Her and my grandfather used to take my sister and I when we were kids and those are some of my best memories. I wish my grandfather could have still been around for it, but at least we created new Disney memories with my grandmother.... AND my parents! :goodvibes

Since then, we've also stayed a few times at our home resort of AKV and just LOVE having the animals outside the balconies! We LOVE AKV!!!!

This year, in addition to DH and I staying at BLT this summer, I am going on a girls only trip with some of my friends - one of which has never been to Disney! Can't wait to show her an amazing first trip! I would never have been able to justify two trip in one year before DVC. But with an annual pass, and my DVC room, it's not cost prohibitive to go more than once!

In 2012, we're going to do a Grand Villa with us, my parents, my grandmother, my sister, BIL, and their two little girls. Even renting points for a Grand Villa would add up to a really high amount really fast!

DVC was right for us. We love going to Disney. We HATED staying at a Value resort.

Now we get to stay in really nice resorts AND take our family and friends! How cool is that! :banana:

I'm with Slakk, buy a small contract and see how it fits. I bought 160 points( I was thinking ideally we would need 300 but wanted to test water.) Worked out perfect, I have from rental board got a transfer of 200 points at 9$. I use the AP perks, and some times rent other peoples points at 8 - 9$ a point. 6.25$ once! (We go at least 2 times a year, and stay 11 days or so, about 1/2 each trip in a 1 bedroom and 1/ in a studio.) Having some points, renting others and using disney direct promos worked out 100000% the best for us.

I don't know if I would add any more on, for now I like having the options to go more, and the option to transfer in, and the option .. . not to go. If rental rates/ transfer rates sky rocketed. .. I would consider..although unlikely.

I also rec. buying resale find a contract with 2008, 2009, and 2010 points on it. We bought ours with (2 months away from) 3 years worth of points and enjoyed 2 years + worth of VK on a resale SSR, for about 13K. (Esp true at AK, or SSR. BLT not much resale dif in $$. )
I like the ...go with about 1/2 as many points as you think you would actally like on a full contract. Go on 3- 4 vac. by using banked points, maybe a transfer in, borrowing points, by then you will know what you want, if you want it, if you want more, and by then maybe have a fav resort to buy seperate points at.

good luck :wizard:

Thanks, this is more great information/suggestions. :)

We're only disappointed that we didn't take the tour and buy in when we were in Disney on our honeymoon in 2001.

Instead, we bought in 2007.

Knock on wood, we've had no problems on any of our trips. The only TINY thing was that we couldn't get a proper spatula to save our lives when we stayed at a 2BR at BCV. That's it. No trash issues, no towel problems, no broken things....

**knocking on wood!**

I responded on another person's thread who was thinking about buying in, but will try to summarize here. Our first trip was a week in a 2BR Villa at BCV. We took my parents and grandmother (DH and I don't have kids.) We never could have afforded to get that kind of room without DVC! We had a fabulous time! I still chuckle every time I think about how much my dad talked about how much he loved riding Soarin'.... over and over...even a few years later, he still talks about it once in awhile. And my grandmother is 85 (still doing GREAT), but how wonderful was it to be able to take her along with us! Her and my grandfather used to take my sister and I when we were kids and those are some of my best memories. I wish my grandfather could have still been around for it, but at least we created new Disney memories with my grandmother.... AND my parents! :goodvibes

Since then, we've also stayed a few times at our home resort of AKV and just LOVE having the animals outside the balconies! We LOVE AKV!!!!

This year, in addition to DH and I staying at BLT this summer, I am going on a girls only trip with some of my friends - one of which has never been to Disney! Can't wait to show her an amazing first trip! I would never have been able to justify two trip in one year before DVC. But with an annual pass, and my DVC room, it's not cost prohibitive to go more than once!

In 2012, we're going to do a Grand Villa with us, my parents, my grandmother, my sister, BIL, and their two little girls. Even renting points for a Grand Villa would add up to a really high amount really fast!

DVC was right for us. We love going to Disney. We HATED staying at a Value resort.

Now we get to stay in really nice resorts AND take our family and friends! How cool is that! :banana:

More great information. Thanks. I have never and will not stay in a value. That is another reason I am considering DVC.

Just remember that for every person who has had a bad experience, there are people who have had nothing but good ones.

I totally agree with that. I like hearing the negative points as well so that I can understand what others are unhappy about. Some complaints other have may not affect me, while some may. :)

No company is perfect, no matter how much you like what is being offered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter